Author Topic: Why the match scene is declining...  (Read 17936 times)

Hyphy

• PGP
Re: Why the match scene is declining...
« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2009, 10:21:13 PM »
Olbaid, is right about Routez.

Bix

• Autococker
« Reply #81 on: April 23, 2009, 10:28:33 PM »
Olbaid, is right about Routez.

+1

net

• PGP
« Reply #82 on: April 23, 2009, 10:48:18 PM »
You're right. The economy is causing the downfall of paintball.

The original downfall was when Starbucks started opening new locations every ten minutes. This changed the Starbucks name/image from "sophisticated " to "trendy" or "a household name" giving consumers less of a reason to walk in. Quite a few of the Brand Name downfalls started way before the recession. Dont be such a media tool.

the Clan scene became trendy. That started the problem.

magalhaes

• Autococker
« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2009, 04:51:06 AM »
the Clan scene became trendy. That started the problem.

hmm, no.

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2009, 07:02:53 AM »
Net, fact that you heard/read this somewhere doesn't makes you an expert. It's ridicilous how you are comparing apples with pies.

Marketing/Economy has absolutely nothing to do and can not be compared to a free video game.   Pricing and it's elasticity contributed more in SB, while regarding paintball, people must realise - this is an old game, with old graphics. Kids just aren't interested in it. There are alot of free games based on new engines and PB can't cope with them. Also population playing it is getting older (less free time) while no new players are beeing attracted to the scene. And considering that if someone dares to come on irc he will be instantly trashed in most cases.

We actually have a big match scene - it grows during summers, it falls during rest of the year. It won't go up, it will stay like this or fall.

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #85 on: April 24, 2009, 08:59:00 AM »
Most dedicated players are too old to be on all the time, or every day. The only ones left really for newbies to learn from are the clan-hoppers, who teach them bad and unwanted habits. The 'decent minded' newbies would think tactics like this are stupid and quit, or the 'who cares' newbies would join and pick up the bad habits of the clan hopping scene.

That's why for newbie's to become decent, they'd have to be shown and taught enjoyable maps for matching, unlike Airtime1, and how to play proper in a match, not just disconnect or go obs when convenient for them. And for those who will complain about me saying A1 is a bad map, get over it. There is no full spectrum of play on that map, all players have to do is get lucky spraying over mid, no jumping, speed, or scenarios are learned on that map. (even though bad players are still going to come on here and try to defend Air1, why do I bother)

So, it's because of the 'cheap' players that make up the clan scene today who are causing the downfall of it. All they appeal to newbies is that "cheap tactics to win" is what the clan scene is about, and not "fully enjoyable matches on fun maps," so they don't even bother getting involved in clans.

Fitz

• Stingray
« Reply #86 on: April 24, 2009, 10:03:10 AM »
That's why for newbie's to become decent, they'd have to be shown and taught enjoyable maps for matching, unlike Airtime1, and how to play proper in a match, not just disconnect or go obs when convenient for them. And for those who will complain about me saying A1 is a bad map, get over it. There is no full spectrum of play on that map, all players have to do is get lucky spraying over mid, no jumping, speed, or scenarios are learned on that map. (even though bad players are still going to come on here and try to defend Air1, why do I bother)

So, it's because of the 'cheap' players that make up the clan scene today who are causing the downfall of it. All they appeal to newbies is that "cheap tactics to win" is what the clan scene is about, and not "fully enjoyable matches on fun maps," so they don't even bother getting involved in clans.
Not to necessarily defend a1 as a good match map (I personally hate playing it), it is a decent map to start out on for a new clan. It was one of the few maps uR started on due to its simplicity. It also taught us how to set up on people and provided good opportunities for us to practice our teamwork (3v1s, when to advance, when to camp, etc).  Jumping was nonexistant, but eh, that's what jump maps are for I guess. The way it's played now is extremely boring, though, with the whole spray and pray mentality (guilty as charged).

I only say this because community deemed "good" maps are often overwhelming for new players. I remember playing pforest for the first time and I didn't know where to look first. DT's maps are truly amazing, but they're simply too fast paced for those who are starting out.

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #87 on: April 24, 2009, 10:31:32 AM »
Jusu +1

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #88 on: April 24, 2009, 01:05:35 PM »
Fitz, you're right that its ok if the whole clan is new, and they are working on their recon and teamwork. (since they don't know better) But there are clans like ur, 1311, and I think sq who choose Air1 or similar maps at times, which doesn't allow for improvement (or enjoyment)

Also, there's no excuse for teams who pick up a new player and say, "he doesn't know any other maps" to play boring maps. I'll admit when I first got into CC I wasn't experienced at strategic maps like carp, renoir, pforest, etc. and it was a cap-fest on me. (don't worry, we still never lost) But that's the only way I could learn them and improve. But once I learned how to play and recon those more complex maps, I learned how easy it was to move and recon through all the complex maps. Once players learn those kinds of maps, its easily adaptable to all of the maps. Meaning that once you learn to effectively play a few complex maps, you can comfortably play any map and any new released map without getting confused by paths or recon.

Also for clans who pick up new players, and the new player doesn't know their recon (or doesn't know better), all the clan does is yell at the new player. They don't even let him figure out where what is. If you do that, all they'll do is quit, and the clan scene will lose another player. CC told me where to go and what to do by spec'cing me if I was the only one alive, and when I got better, I understood and knew better. Then they were able to laugh at me whenever I did stupid stuff. But before the times of laughing at me, they made sure I knew better.

And 1 more thing for the players who claim they don't know the maps or strategies, spec people that play them in matches, or watch their demo's. That's how I learned quite a bit from CC before I even joined them, I would spec their matches (and listening to what they were doing on Ventrilo). It helps you understand teamwork and what to do at certain times.

/end newbie testimony

Olbaid

• Autococker
« Reply #89 on: May 06, 2009, 12:38:32 PM »
Hit it dead on Jusu, nicely said. 

We did laugh at you a lot.

timecatcher

• PGP
« Reply #90 on: May 11, 2009, 05:36:11 AM »
I understand im new to all of this so can't really add much to the discussion...but I feel that the clan scene from what I've experience has been alright...its hard for newer players to find there feet but after you idle in IRC and listen in to matchs like Justin said it becomes easier and I must say although im applying for their trainee team s2k and their crew have been great and making me feel welcome. I don't feel its declining at all, im new and yet im not being put off but the occassional poor clans or players.

TC.

absoLuTe

• PGP
« Reply #91 on: May 21, 2009, 09:47:18 AM »
To be quite honest I don't think this discussion is necessary, considering that the clan scene varies like how many people have swine flu. 5 have it 2 die. 4 more get it. 4 die ect. Not a very nice way to say it, but its true :)
                     <3

skitzo

• Autococker
« Reply #92 on: May 21, 2009, 01:35:46 PM »
To be quite honest I don't think this discussion is necessary, considering that the clan scene varies like how many people have swine flu. 5 have it 2 die. 4 more get it. 4 die ect. Not a very nice way to say it, but its true :)
                     <3

yes now we're blaming the clan scene declining on the economy and swine flu, it all makes sense now.

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #93 on: May 21, 2009, 04:33:47 PM »
                     <3

LOL so wrong, swine flu is less harmful than the normal flu,   1 out of every 500 die.  You'd be lucky to get it instead of the normal flu.