Author Topic: Ranking system isn't the best idea  (Read 7367 times)

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Re: Ranking system isn't the best idea
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2013, 05:43:53 AM »
Maybe it would just count as a loss if the team you were on lost.
Problem of team autobalance arises here.  Say you're on the winning team, 3 people drop out and you get moved to the other, and lose.  I can see a win/loss system working for match scene, but not really pubs.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2013, 08:18:09 AM »
For example, if you get a reward for killing players, people will focus on that instead of letting their team capture the flag.
especially right now for the reasons provided in terms of how it would affect gameplay negatively (spawn camping etc.)
Fewer killing achievements, more flag-related achievements (to discourage camping)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2013, 09:43:07 AM »
Problem of team autobalance arises here.  Say you're on the winning team, 3 people drop out and you get moved to the other, and lose.  I can see a win/loss system working for match scene, but not really pubs.
Which is why I think ranked games would need to work more like the competitive mode in CS:GO or ranked matches in LoL.  You get matched up in something like a 4v4, and you stick with it until the end, otherwise you get penalized.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2013, 09:52:43 AM »
^ The problem occurs though because of the lack of players. Ranked games will either be pugs or matches. New players don't get overly involved in this. I think right now, based off the amount of downloads per day you get, we should be focusing on retaining new players. Once there's a mediocre clan scene again, then something like this becomes more relevant.

I played LoL purely because of how easy it was to find tournaments/play competitively at any level. That being said, it was because I love doing stuff competitively. Anyone with similar mindset will likely have a better gaming system, and look for a larger-scale game with real prizes. Right now, 12 year olds no longer are playing on their parents windows 95 computer with dial up, they have top of the line computers with high speed internet. They are not settling for lower games. So, this games appearance, and basics need to be improved to maintain them. Ranking system doesn't draw them in - since no real prizes come of it.

I think the website promoting competitive play would benefit more, as new players would also see something about the competitive nature of the game when they visit to download/makeaccounts etc... It'll show them that the game is large enough for a competitive scene, so even if they get in a server alone they may not instantly quit. But Ranking system would not matter to them for a long time with the learning curve in this game.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2013, 12:21:09 PM »
Perhaps, prior to adding ranking, it would be better to set up a competitive matching system.  It would effectively be an in-game organized PUG/match system.

I'm thinking something like:

Play->Join Game->Join Competitive Game

Then you get put into a lobby, connected to IRC, and can chat while you wait for others to join.  When there are enough players in the lobby, it connects everybody to an empty match server.

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2013, 12:58:46 PM »
Perhaps, prior to adding ranking, it would be better to set up a competitive matching system.  It would effectively be an in-game organized PUG/match system.

Then you get put into a lobby, connected to IRC, and can chat while you wait for others to join.  When there are enough players in the lobby, it connects everybody to an empty match server.

+1

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2013, 01:00:09 PM »

That would be great! Also, maybe think up a way to encourage clans? Like, organised clan matches system too? So you clan press 'enter clan match'. then your whole clan gets put into a server lobby with other whole clans.