Author Topic: Uh oh, a new map.  (Read 3674 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: Uh oh, a new map.
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2007, 11:58:27 PM »
I have to agree with bain here.  The map doesn't look bad, but it doesn't look great, either.  It's just average - looks about like maps that were made 10 years ago.  The rock brushwork is good (though the rock texture itself doesn't tile that well and may not be the best choice), but the bunkers aren't very believable at all.  The roof over the flag has shingles on the sides and bottom, and the shingles are facing sideways.  The platforms are metal posts with rivets in them topped with a wad of planks.  What are the planks nailed into?  What stops them from falling off the posts?  Some of the bunkers have the zig-zag brick texture leaning up against metal posts.  Those are like patio bricks... not feasible at all.  The large bunkers are framed with a tread metal texture, which is usually a thin sheet of metal plating placed on top of or wrapped around a sturdier frame to provide traction.

The lighting looks good, but one base is really dark.  If you're standing in the shadow there, you'll notice you can look up and see the sun in the sky, so you need to tweak your _sun_angle, not only to make the lighting a little more balanced, but to help make it more accurate with the sky you're using.  One part of the tunnel is pretty dark, too (perhaps you don't notice this seeing how much you have the brightness turned up in your screenshots).  The  lighting on the lit portion is fine, but the lights themselves are pretty bland "box lights".

The map is really smooth to jump around in, even with all the rocky ground detail, so good work there.  Looks like it'll probably have decent game play for 2-8 players.  I'm putting the map up on the beta server as beta/pfields.  It would be helpful if you used some kind of beta extension (see the new map release guide here: http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=5149.0).

James

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2007, 01:02:01 AM »
I was actually going to do all the changes on this. Thought about it for a second, then realized I don't care.

I wasn't even going to release this map, I was just doing random excrement because I was bored. I've personally never seen a map like that and figured since I've played a lot longer than 99/100 of the people who actually post here, that I'd show them. The people wanted to try it out so I gave them a taste, then when I was done I decided to give them the entire thing. The version I released is the completed version. Whoever wants to run it on their server, feel free to do so. The map isn't up for anyone else to edit or change which hardly matters, because of the maps I've seen produced here no one would begin to know what to change.

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2007, 01:28:14 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 12:03:46 AM by Dirty_Taco »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2007, 11:54:44 PM »
Yet again I waste time giving you feedback on a map.  I wasn't even going to bother and now I wish I hadn't.