Author Topic: Why do people play on crappy servers?  (Read 2774 times)

RuiNeR

• PGP
Why do people play on crappy servers?
« on: September 09, 2005, 12:02:39 PM »
Could you please tell me why people tend to play on the servers with 100+s ping times instead of the servers with 20-60ms ping times (aka the better servers)? Also, I'm BEGGING the server admins to stop putting absolute crap in their map rotations! I'm no good mapper, but 90% of the maps that are currently in 90% of the servers' rotations are complete crap. I find myself wanting to play, then I'm extremely dissapointed when xbmap and blitz are the only maps available on active servers. Can I get some maps that have some darn substance?

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
Re: Why do people play on crappy servers?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 12:12:37 PM »
This is also known as the DP Phenomenon.  Crappy players playing on crappy servers with crappy maps.

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 12:29:57 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:13:30 AM by Dirty_Taco »

ZeroLegend

• VM-68
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 12:57:13 PM »
You just have to wait untill the next batch of maps are repeated over and over and hope there is one you like to play...

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 05:31:37 PM »
Jits, you have to step in on this. Like, make it so blitz doesn't exist anymore. And any map with the name xbmap*.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 06:13:58 PM »
Could you please tell me why people tend to play on the servers with 100+s ping times instead of the servers with 20-60ms ping times (aka the better servers)? Also, I'm BEGGING the server admins to stop putting absolute crap in their map rotations! I'm no good mapper, but 90% of the maps that are currently in 90% of the servers' rotations are complete crap. I find myself wanting to play, then I'm extremely dissapointed when xbmap and blitz are the only maps available on active servers. Can I get some maps that have some darn substance?
Ruiner,
Dont you go and blame me as an admin I got most your maps on rotation, not that you have but Im just saying .

Dear Lady Bain (this is in know way personal, Im trying to be funny and make a point bare with me)

Geez guys "crappy" players, playing on "crappy" maps hosted by "crappy" servers you can't play on . Sounds awful and not fun. 

Hmmm, what to do....I know pay for a kick ass server in Houston and make it public and ask for map requests that are filtered.

Alas Jitspoe, Bain and others that dont play mucho publico.
They still play."Crappy" players (not very nice of you btw), playing on crappy maps  (which btw is purely subjective from the players standpoint, remember just because you and few others agree does not make it so) and  playing on "crappy" servers, at least they are trying.

Until Jitspoe and others (your self included Master Bain) can figure out how to make this game perfect (to you few). Till that time happens try this, it works for me.

If you cant beat them, Kill em.
Kill them on there crappy maps with there crappy service. Teach them what is good in DP and always remember "Different strokes for Different folks" or whatever.

*edit Another Silly Little Loial Post (sorry)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2005, 06:51:02 PM by loial21 »

RuiNeR

• PGP
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2005, 02:24:46 PM »
Actually loial I can't see why people DON'T play on your server more often. The ping is good, and the maps are decent-great. Oh and my maps kinda suck lol, I do like badlands but theres never enough people and platforms and doors don't work well in paintball. Jit should have a list of approved maps and include them with the client. Then encourage admins to run those maps, or ones of equal or better quality (gameplay and asthetically). Maybe have "official servers" that need to meet certain requirements for connection type and map roation etc. Dunno, lotta work for one guy  :)

BlaSTa

• PGP
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2005, 10:50:49 PM »
  I'd have to say a crappy server to one person could be the preferred server to another person.  The Frozen Pball Public server which I run would be considered a crappy server by most.  It was started because I've gotten alot out of pball and haven't given much back. I was actually surprised to see people play on it since most people have such a high ping on it.  It hasn't been used much lately and that's fine, it's there whether it's used or not.  It's been recently upgraded to 7M broadband which is still slower than the prime servers.  It does have some maps which aren't played much on the other servers, and of course Eddie is almost always there for you to get owned by. :)
  I don't really mind playing on any server, as long as the lag isn't so bad that I pjack.  I'd rather play on a crappy server that the people with login are decent than any server that has jerks and inconsiderate people with login.  Even with my crappy server I still try to be fair and respectfull of other players, even more so than when I play on their servers. :)
  I get a 200+ ping on the German servers but they don't seem laggy most of the time. Heck, I even played on the Brasil server a while back and it wasn't that bad with my 300+ ping.  You just lead your target about 30 feet.  ;)

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2005, 12:19:13 AM »
Actually loial I can't see why people DON'T play on your server more often. The ping is good, and the maps are decent-great. Oh and my maps kinda suck lol, I do like badlands but theres never enough people and platforms and doors don't work well in paintball. Jit should have a list of approved maps and include them with the client. Then encourage admins to run those maps, or ones of equal or better quality (gameplay and asthetically). Maybe have "official servers" that need to meet certain requirements for connection type and map roation etc. Dunno, lotta work for one guy :)
.  As of now well lets just say I am happy with service, not the quanity of time spent playing with more than 10 players,
Jitspoe, I have not a problem paying for an official server with "official maps" with "official" players. But until then... :) smile and have a coke

All for maps with 16 vs 16 
Hopes for a day when.

On topic, your server list rocks, loves eddie .im out