Author Topic: the er33t server, pgrens  (Read 12610 times)

Shreds

• Stingray
the er33t server, pgrens
« on: January 26, 2003, 09:32:49 AM »
I understand servers have total control of variables with weapons and grenades, and more. But when a game only has 1 server that is used by the massive community of about 16 max playing at a time, dont start taking out the grenades.

Put up public server #2 without grenades, and leave 1 with. Especially since #1 is the default with pball v2.

Just my complaint about what the server admin has done.

Anrkist

• VM-68
Re: the er33t server, pgrens
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2003, 10:25:24 AM »
I thought it was a bug.. wonder why they got rid of them =/

Blitz

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2003, 03:39:12 AM »
We're running the latest .so compiled by Sad and jitspoe on our servers. Currently, the grenades are hardcoded instant burst/random (there's no toggleable cvar). The instant burst/random grenades are pure weapons of chance, lacking absolutely no strategic value. I personally diddn't disable the grenades; however I agree with the decision. Note: They're not "gone" for good, but rather temporarily disabled until we get a toggleable grenade format (bouncing grenades, which can actually have SOME strategic importance).

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2003, 07:41:16 AM »
I actually think it's the other way around.  With bouncing grens you have to hope someone either doesn't see the grenade or is dumb enough to run over it, making it more of a luck weapon, as opposed to explode on impact grenades where you can pretty much kill exactly who you're aiming for.  The impact grens are coded in such a manner that the paint trajectory depends on the velocity and bounce of the grenade, so if you think they're pure luck, you obviously don't know how to use them correctly.

Shreds

• Stingray
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2003, 08:46:59 AM »
Impact grenades are also more true to life. And it is also how the game makers wanted the grenades. Whoever controls the server is just being stubborn and wont accept change, ruining it for everyone else.

You wont even allow people to try the new grenades and get feedback. You wont even see how well they play in a game once people get used to them.

I prefer the impact grenades over the delayed. You prefer delayed over impact. Its all opinion. But lets get this quote right,

---"They're not "gone" for good, but rather temporarily disabled until we get a toggleable grenade format"

should actually be read,

---"We are big babies that can't get our way so we ruin it for others."

With lots of love,
Shreds

Anrkist

• VM-68
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2003, 09:57:52 AM »
Shreds always putting things into perspective for us =]

Blitz

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2003, 10:57:31 AM »
Jitspoe: Bounceable grenades can be used to penetrate defense. A strategically bounced grenade can cause a defender to unwillingly move to a more awkward position (the main intention is always not to actually KILL with the grenade, but move the enemy). I'll be the first to admit, grenades are hardly used in the fashion (on the public server). Instant burst grenades are the exact opposite. They're a close quarters killing device. Rather than out aim/dodge enemies, you have the option of throwing a grenade that kills anything in the immediate area. I was incorrect in saying that it's based on luck, as yes.. it is very easy to kill something directly in front of you; however, the "skill" required to do so consistes primarily of being able to press a single key..

Shreds: "Impact grenades are also more true to life." Yes, they're more "true" to life. If we want to relate to that aspect of the game, though - perhaps we should concentrate more on players leaping over large glaciers of ice at 60 mph, double jumping onto three story structures, and falling from buildings without bodily injury." Take out everything that doesn't model after real life and we might as well rename it to Digital Paintbrawl.
"We are big babies that can't get our way so we ruin it for others." - It's nice to be respected for providing the primary public servers people use, a statistical system, and easily accessible matching servers. Thanks for your input..
« Last Edit: January 27, 2003, 10:58:49 AM by Blitz »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2003, 11:10:25 AM »
So how would you feel about having 2 differnt types of paint grenades?  Or maybe two different firing modes (press one button to fire an explode on impact gren, and another for a bouncing gren)?  Maybe make the grens like those in q2, where you have to switch to them, or have some method of shortening the fuse like that?

I wanna be able to use my explode on impact grens...

[edit]btw, I didn't put a forced explode on impact / random explosion thing in there - that came when Sad and I merged srcs -- you'll have to ask him if there's a way to shut it off[/edit]
« Last Edit: January 27, 2003, 11:12:15 AM by jitspoe »

Blitz

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2003, 03:21:46 PM »
Two different kinds of grenades would be an interesting addition, as both serve different purposes..

Shreds

• Stingray
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2003, 03:39:15 PM »
I agree with the option of having both.

and blitz, thanks for pointing out that pball wasnt realistic! I NEVER NOTICED! I was just on my way out the window to strafe jump off the roof, catch the edge of the telephone wires, and then slow myself down in mid air and land ontop my neighbors head as we both giggle because we didnt get hurt.
Maybe pointing out more true to life wasnt worded right. It was meant that people can use them for strategy in real life, but I mangled the wording because I didnt think you would be stupid enough to assume I didnt know pball was fake.

And the quote about you guys being babies still sticks, it doesnt change the fact that you help with a server and have the stats system, which is great, but you are still being babies about the grenades.

Michael_Fornal

• VM-68
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2003, 03:58:26 PM »
lol.

Picturing DP physics with real life situations is a laugh a second.

Anrkist

• VM-68
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2003, 04:40:21 PM »
Given the fact that you run servers.. free or not leaves you wide open for comments wether you agree with them or not =] Id rather have these grens then hear people complaining on your servers about not having them....

Blitz

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2003, 06:04:05 PM »
Comments good are, just poorly not mangled worded ones.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2003, 06:06:26 PM by Blitz »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2003, 07:57:14 PM »
Shush, Yoda.

RoyalBlood

• VM-68
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2003, 10:53:51 AM »
I definately think Er33t should put grenades back in.  If they arent how you like them, big deal get over it.  You are hosting a server for the people, other people want the grenades.  Its a part of the game, so keep em in.  Turning it off completely removes a huge part of the game. You might as well disable co2 support too while you are at it ;)  Now dealing with the debate, I like the idea of having both bouncing and impact grenades.  So you have two grenades, two different strategies to use.  

RoyalBlood

• VM-68
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2003, 10:59:44 AM »
Isnt it ironic that Blitz said instant burst grenades are cheap and dont have any strategy and yet he will go out and abuse cocker spray?  Not trying to single you out, but er33t is being hypocritical here.

Also ever though that nothing having the grenades at all is more cheap and less strategic than at least having the instant burst ones?

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2003, 12:44:14 PM »
I'm trying to rid the community of the voodoochild@large strategy.  Next I'm planning on making it so you're automatically kicked after a certain ammount of play time against newbies who are too new to know how to use grenades.

Also, I've seen Blitz in action, his aimbot doesn't spray.

RoyalBlood

• VM-68
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2003, 08:38:51 PM »
Well they dont know how to use them cuz you disabled them!  ;)

Snipen

• PGP
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2003, 02:24:43 AM »
er33t thanks for the support you give to paintball its wonderful.. the issue of the Paint grenades will never be resolved because there's  going to be complaints no matter what you do with them.. so  maybe an option on how they bounce or when they explode might work but ppl will still gripe about them...as for the ideal of limiting the players time on the server i don't know about that i think that would hurt the server in the long run  anyway what ever you do if i want to play on your server i have to go by your rules ..its your ball don't get mad and quit and take it home with you so everyone else cant play....thanks

Fryth

• VM-68
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2003, 07:17:03 AM »
They're just stupid little grenades. There's no strategy on any of the maps on that server anyway. Put them on, whatever kind they are. Cheers ;D