Author Topic: Feature: Punish / forgive system for team kills  (Read 9677 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: Feature: Punish / forgive system for team kills
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2008, 11:13:53 PM »
http://dplogin.com/dplogin/featurevote/feature.php?id=10057

+1.  I think the game would be a lot more interesting and require more teamwork with friendly fire enabled (can't just blindly run around and spray), but since there's currently no system to prevent people from intentionally team killing, friendly fire on a pub server quickly gets out of hand, and since there's no friendly fire on pub servers, it carries over to matches as well.

Back in the early Quake1 paintball days, there wasn't even an option to disable friendly fire.  Friendly fire counts in real paintball, too.  And real life combat, and just about any competitive video gaming scene (even on games with 1-hit kills).

DaRkNeSS

• Autococker
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2008, 11:22:06 PM »
Useless, no one uses FF.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2008, 11:25:50 PM »
But it should be used.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2008, 01:36:56 AM »
Useless, no one uses FF.
Catch 22.  Nobody uses FF because there's nothing to stop abuse.  People don't want abuse-preventative methods implemented because nobody uses FF.

I've played some pickups and matches with friendly fire on and prefer it.  It should really be the match standard, like it is in every other competitive game.  Take a look at things like CPL/CAL, etc.  Only the newbies play with friendly fire off. :P

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2008, 06:44:48 AM »
Read my post above, i don't think punishing people will help, they generally don't mean to do it anyway.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2008, 12:31:48 PM »
Read my post above, i don't think punishing people will help, they generally don't mean to do it anyway.
Have you ever played on a pub with friendly fire on?  People start killing teammates on purpose.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2008, 12:37:53 PM »
http://www.pwned.nl/ FTW

But I would love to see a server set up with FF on and see what type of teambuilding could be accomplished.

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2008, 12:40:33 PM »
"Guy1:Hey you shot me!"
"Guy2:You shot me first!!!"
"Guy1 has switched teams"
:P

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2008, 03:25:44 PM »
It should really be the match standard, like it is in every other competitive game.  Take a look at things like CPL/CAL, etc.  Only the newbies play with friendly fire off. :P

Care to name another game that has any type of competitive match/league scene that also has friendly fire, 1 hit kills while everyone carries around guns that shoot 6 relatively large projectiles each second? :P  Unless I'm forgetting about some underground Q3A BFG scene...

I don't hate the idea of friendly fire as a match standard, but it's really demanding alot from teams in terms of preparation and strategy.  If such a rule was enforced I think you'd see a lot more camping and terrible spray angles because teams will be too scared to kill their teammates, and way too lazy to coordinate their attacks around potential ffire deaths.

Most teams just want to have fun.  I think here, fun means matching 5 times a day on the rules that they're used.  Not practicing strategy amongst themselves, scheduling a 1hr match a week in advance or playing in tournaments with unfamiliar settings.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2008, 03:40:41 PM »
usually it's something like this:

player1 eliminates his teammate player2
player2: Quit killing me!
player1 eliminates his teammate player2
player2 eliminates his teammate player3
player2: Sorry, meant to kill player1
player3 eliminates his teammate player2

etc.

Bain: Are there any major match/league scenes that don't use friendly fire?  Granted, there aren't many other games with this style of gameplay (except other paintball games, which I think have friendly fire enabled), but many weapons in games have rapid fire 1 hit kills - counter-strike, for example, if you get headshots.

DaRkNeSS

• Autococker
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2008, 04:27:27 PM »
I doubt it's because there is no punishment, I think it's because no one wants it on.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2008, 06:03:57 PM »
but many weapons in games have rapid fire 1 hit kills - counter-strike, for example, if you get headshots.

I don't think thats quite the same thing :P

xav93

• PGP
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2008, 06:13:03 PM »
you could make the person shot be immobilised or something to make it similar to friendlyfire