Author Topic: GameCube Hacking  (Read 1925 times)

SWSoggyWaffles

• Stingray
GameCube Hacking
« on: January 20, 2008, 01:02:46 PM »
Im trying to get into a GameCube disc to get the models from the game in order to edit them, then convert them, then make them into ragdolls for the game GMOD, but i cant open the disc because those small discs are weird like that, and now i need any form of program for hacking the discs so i can get at the files. Anyone who knows of any programs like that?

cusoman

• Autococker
Re: GameCube Hacking
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 01:07:58 PM »
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/61273

thats a link to taking a Gamecube game and making it a .gmc file, which is legal, as long as you own the game.  Ripping resources from a .gmc file is illegal though, so if you do find the tools (use google  ;) ) then you will be do what you want with the models, but It will not be a walk in the park.
-Cusoman

EDIT: because emulators are very widespread, you may be able to find a .gmc of the gamecube game online already. Then you would just have to rip it apart, which is up to you and your conscience.

SWSoggyWaffles

• Stingray
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 01:13:25 PM »
soooo, the non-legit part is ripping, and the hard part is editing? great, editing should be easy for me, but the ripping, well i can leave that for someone else to take care of :P

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 01:20:00 PM »
Basically, taking 3d models from a .gmc file is illegal.  If you can find an already created .gmc file for your game you want then most of the hard part is done.  Taking apart a .gmc file is very hard though, and will involve lots of your time, and probably a combination of like 20 different tools, because when you rip the files, they wont be compatible with any normal program right off the bat.  ;)
-Cusoman

BaNe

• PGP
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 04:09:44 PM »
rip it anyway.

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 07:16:04 PM »
Anyway to convert a gmc file? I dont believe that is illegal or am I wrong?

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 09:11:49 PM »
...convert to what? If I understand correctly, it's just a ROM. You've got to extract stuff from it.

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 04:53:30 PM »
Correct, a .gcm file is a standard gamecube rom file, and extracting from them is illegal, though having and or creating the rom is not illegal as long as you own the game in question.
-Cusoman

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 07:47:25 PM »
Correct, a .gcm file is a standard gamecube rom file, and extracting from them is illegal, though having and or creating the rom is not illegal as long as you own the game in question.
-Cusoman
Oh just thought I remembered seeing something about a loophole on the .gmc on some google search or something :-\