Poll

See description in post.  Do you like the idea?

I like it.
I don't like it.

Author Topic: An Idea: Classic/New Style Hybrid  (Read 6200 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
An Idea: Classic/New Style Hybrid
« on: October 24, 2005, 02:02:33 PM »
Ok, here's the gist of it:

When a person grabs a flag, he can always capture, but if he's the only person carrying a flag, the round ends.

Red grabs the flag.  Red captures the flag.  Round over.

Red grabs the flag.  Blue grabs the flag.  Red captures the flag.  Blue captures the flag.  Round over.

gohan

Re: An Idea: Classic/New Style Hybrid
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 02:07:04 PM »
not baaaad

digi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 02:08:44 PM »
I can understand how tiny maps with grab after grab can frustrate you, but that's the only time that happens. In normal maps, the only good flag method is what's used in original dp.

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 03:21:11 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:10:20 AM by Dirty_Taco »

BSoD

• Stingray
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2005, 03:26:35 PM »
I like it as a new game mode.. like CTF:Revamped

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2005, 03:56:51 PM »
Dirty_Taco: Basically, it's a slightly less drastic measure to stop cap fests.  Once the flags have been captured, that's it.  However, it does not require you to have your flag(s) at base to capture.

P!nk

Re: Do You Like 1-Man Cap Fests?
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2005, 04:56:12 PM »
Just to throw something out there:

The situation arises when both teams usually have one player on each team, or two players on one team and one on the other, with the most players on the team with the flag.

The person(s) on the team with no flag leaves when told on recon that a cap is about to take place, that way the other team only gets two points instead of five for the flag. I find this very rude when they intend for it to be that way. It is very effective, however, if the game is about to be lost by the team with no flag.

Then, they come back in and thank the player on recon, while saying publicly they had to go do something. It seems there is a pattern on some servers where people know they can get away with it, so they do it.

I brought this up because I'm not sure if what your discussing here would end this problem. Obviously, the above is just for public play and happens rarely. Just some stuff I had floating around for awhile.  =D

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2005, 05:02:36 PM »
I like the current way more. It involves more teamwork.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2005, 06:01:08 PM »
You should get points if you have grabbed the flag. Going around and around for ever gets old untill someone finds enemy flag carrier. No better than cap fest. Doing it my way forces teams to be more defensive. If you all offensive some one is bound outfalnk you and get your flag. Which they should be rewarded for in the form of 1 point for grabbing team. My point is to reward points for grabs then and there. Not at end of round. Just an idea I have proposed before.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2005, 07:01:53 PM »
You're suggesting that people simply get points for every grab?  I'm not sure I follow.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2005, 07:15:50 PM »
Naw you got it. I understand your confusion, you stingy points giver :)

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2005, 07:37:58 PM »
Meh. Then both teams will just sit in their base.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2005, 07:46:33 PM »
It's too easy to touch the flag with the q2 physics -- just come flying in at 70mph, touch the flag, and that's it?

Anyway, let's keep this on topic -- if you want to suggest a different idea, post a new thread about it.

And come on, only 5 votes?  I posted a link to this thread in a bunch of paintball channels.  What more must I do to get feedback?

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2005, 09:44:32 PM »
Jitspoe,

regarding feedback.
I dont mean much to you but here is an honest responce, from a newb.
Play publix and often.  Stay off IRC.

EIO,
MEH get over it camping is a part of combat and FPS. What do you want no one to defend base? Oh that makes sense with multi-routes into flag. Unless you want to impliment a 10 sec non movement rule, u must expect this fact..."I camp, (clap clap) I m queer and im here get use to it."  Camperlove.  Sighs, go back to 2003 e33rt servers, i remember indune, rally, blitz, etc....campers were as of now shuned. Why not start a respectable class of camping, ask HOBO he is that dam good at it.

Hobo

• VM-68
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2005, 11:33:49 PM »
  I voted no I don't like it.

The reason I voted no is because:
    I like how the flag in base forces your teammates to go get the other teams flag carrier.  Sure sometimes it's not fun if your teammates won't go get the carrier and you have to sit up the ladder hiding all map as talked about on other posts.  But when you have a couple of teammates that actually know what to do it can be alot of fun.  Castle 1 is a great map for flaginbase capping. I know some people disagree with me but I've been the one sitting up there hiding and I've been the one trying to find the other flag carrier, I tell you I enjoy it. There are only so many places to hide. However, a map like Castle1 needs several players or you do spend too much time looking for the other carrier.
  If you really want to do something like this then maybe just end the round after the first cap and give the second flag carrier two points or something.  I think this simply gives the advantage to the faster players which since I'm not one of them then BOOO!!! on that idea.  :)
  Of course if you're the only person with a flag then you should be able to cap... but I know that's not what you're polling.
  What if someone spawns or someone grabs again before the second flag is capturedr? Or the first flag capper gets shot? Or I have the flag and go hide with it so the other team can still keep capping?
  Anyway, I vote no.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2005, 12:02:25 AM »
Thanks for the detailed response.  I wish more people would take the time to explain their reasoning like that.

digi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2005, 10:23:20 AM »
I like the current way more. It involves more teamwork.

How do you know? I've never even heard of you.. meaning you probably dont play in the match scene much. It doesn't require more teamwork.. It requires the flag carrier hiding in a corner.

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2005, 10:33:31 AM »
I really like the old way of capping a lot, much more than the flagatbase-rule.  It makes the game more interesting in my opinion, and also faster and much more challenging. Sure, I can see that you dont like "capfests", but I would only agree on that for public servers where a flag can be capped many times against newbies who dont know how to react the right way. If you match, tho, with somewhat experienced players that have developed a sense of gameplay, those things will not happen, as those players will know how prevent the opponent team from capping more than once.
I would never suggest a change on that, and I usually also match with the old, better ;) settings.

!TnL!Mac

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2005, 01:22:57 PM »
Ok jitspoe that wont give much advantage to the faster team who grabs flag and would have capped first.

How about first team to grab gets a point IF they cap so if they dont cap they get normal points but if they were first to cap and grab they get 6 pts and other team gets for the second grab!?

make sense?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2005, 03:52:10 PM »
b00nlander: If what you say is true, then this idea would make little difference in matches.

Mac: Neither do the old settings.  I don't see your point.