Author Topic: Make ban times consistent  (Read 16694 times)

m7feettall

• Autococker
Re: Make ban times consistent
« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2008, 07:55:16 PM »
no problem bro... your points are just proving me right.

if 3 players from every clan got perma banned right now, do you know how many clans would just say screw dp and quit for better games?

what clans do you "scrim" that arent the ones I'm referring too other than "We Suck Less" and maybe some one day pub euro clans? that arent already on the ever so shameful "do not scrim list" omgz0rz

you dont "get to know people" in-game...

perma bans is a bad idea... get over it =(

Lol now you went from two per clan to three per clan.  We suck less died over a month ago. We scrim all kinds of clans from the good ones to noob clans.

Again, people would go on if you ban the cheaters. If some of the folks left because their friends did new clans would come up. Look at all the new international clans cropping up. DP wasn't even in some of these places before and now folks are playing.

The point is that you think DP is JUST the irc community. It isn't. Nor is everyone in irc cheating. Nor would everyone leave if the cheaters were banned.

FlaMe

• Autococker
« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2008, 07:57:52 PM »
i guess i missed the part where I implied any of that?

3 is probably more accurate... and if you took 2 players per clan away, clan scene would prob die... sorry

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2008, 07:59:37 PM »

See if this jogs your memory:

I'm almost positive at least 2 members from every good DP clan have been caught hacking in the past

3 is probably more accurate... and if you took 2 players per clan away, clan scene would prob die... sorry

Probably? I doubt it.

No way to know but to test it :)

Let's start perma banning all new hackers and see what happens. I seriously doubt DP will die. In fact I doubt many will hack once they know the consequences.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 10:35:54 PM by m7feettall »

FlaMe

• Autococker
« Reply #83 on: February 21, 2008, 08:05:37 PM »
anyone who gets banned for hacking in the future is an idiot for not making sure it wasnt undetectable

and idk how to "job" a memory =\

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #84 on: February 21, 2008, 08:12:51 PM »
Wow.. just reading this thread.. all it is is arguing.  Everyone that cheats should be banned long enough to teach them not to do it again.  If all the hackers are banned the game will not die.  It will be improved if anything.  If the cheaters want to leave the game good.  And like i was saying a while ago  we do not need a committee.  There should be some type of guideline for banning!   If you mod textures - you get a certain number of days.  If you wall hack - you get a certain number of days ect...  This would take out all this stupid arguing over this very unproductive forums. 

Maybe a new feature could be Automatic bans.  Right when the ban is detected, the cheater would be automatically banned for a set number of days according to his offence.   I do not know how the cheat detection works to be honest so i don't know if that is possible.  But it would stop a lot of this nonsence.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #85 on: February 21, 2008, 10:18:04 PM »
THANK YOU superman, I like what you say.

Wow.. just reading this thread.. all it is is arguing.
was my point earlier.

... the pub noobies and 30000 registered nicks are nothing without the 25 clans on IRC ...
*correction* over 55000 registered nicks, and 106 DP clans registered on IRC atm (yes i know, many of them are not active)

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #86 on: February 21, 2008, 10:37:04 PM »
Wow.. just reading this thread.. all it is is arguing.  Everyone that cheats should be banned long enough to teach them not to do it again.  If all the hackers are banned the game will not die.  It will be improved if anything.  If the cheaters want to leave the game good.  And like i was saying a while ago  we do not need a committee.  There should be some type of guideline for banning!   If you mod textures - you get a certain number of days.  If you wall hack - you get a certain number of days ect...  This would take out all this stupid arguing over this very unproductive forums. 

Maybe a new feature could be Automatic bans.  Right when the ban is detected, the cheater would be automatically banned for a set number of days according to his offence.   I do not know how the cheat detection works to be honest so i don't know if that is possible.  But it would stop a lot of this nonsence.

If I recall loial suggested auto bans and jits had a number of reasons he didn't prefer it.

As to arguing...that is expected on such a topic. But there is a difference between presenting an argument and arguing in the more popular sense of the term.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #87 on: February 22, 2008, 01:29:08 AM »
Autobans work the best.

Nothing teaches anyone better thana good old fasion scarlet leter and a proper class of player?

C is not for cookie its cheating and thats not match worthy.

.....where do we begin a creed....of sportsmanship?

PaRaDeaD

• Stingray
« Reply #88 on: February 22, 2008, 05:54:54 AM »
This is kind of like who has hacked, says no and who hasn't, says yes. Hehe. I say no.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2008, 05:56:43 AM »

You keep saying this but yet have no proof.  If you don't have any proof, drop it.

WarWulf

• Autococker
« Reply #90 on: February 22, 2008, 06:53:10 AM »
Okay, But how does some 10 year old from Brazil know that changing the jpg's for paintballs to be neon is cheating? He probably just wants to make it look cool. How does some kid changing his models to bevis and butthead know that its cheating? I mean, there are sites that you can download quake2 models on, they don't say its cheating.

Exactly.

www.polycount.com

having some modified models isnt really cheating. its when you make\download models specificly to cheat when it becomes a problem :)

take this one for instance.... i used it for about 3 weeks when build6 came out.  these models were actually like 6 units smaller then the old dp models :P

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #91 on: February 22, 2008, 07:06:42 AM »
I'm not in agreement with perma-bans for cheating. People SHOULD be given a second chance to redeem themselves, especially NEW players.

Its a fact of life that new players won't realise the harmfulness of their actions, especially in regards to what the Community thinks about it. Its correct we should try and reduce cheating in this game, but I think SuperMAn hits the nail on the head:

Everyone that cheats should be banned long enough to teach them not to do it again.

This no 2nd chances policy is horrible, everyone should be given a second chance for something that generally doesn't have a massive effect upon ones enjoyment of the game (exception being in a clan match). If i'm playing a pub game and somerone is hacking, hes owning me, so what, one guy ahead of me in the ranking that shouldn't be there, I would give that guy a 2nd chance without thinking twice.

I'm all for what you are trying to do M7, but I'm not happy about how you are trying to do it.