Author Topic: Feedback: We Maps should able to see what every map looks like  (Read 4387 times)

wallpainter08

• Stingray
To begin, say you want to find a certain map...but you forget the name.  After awhile you realize you will never find it because your list has 200 maps and almost all of them don't have screenshots.

Therefore my suggestion is that we need to develop  a new way to find maps.  The easiest way to do this is by attaching a screenshot to the map.  This way we can at least see what part of the map looks like.
If anybody has any other suggestions please put them here.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: Feedback: We Maps should able to see what every map looks like
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 08:41:31 AM »
Somebody put together a huge pack of map screenshots that you can use for the menu (don't remember where it's posted off hand), or you can try browsing through this site: http://maps.digitalpaint.therisenrealm.com/

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 11:14:03 AM »

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 03:06:28 PM »
<3

wallpainter08

• Stingray
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 03:28:30 PM »
Jitspoe, I would incoperate that kind of menu into the next build...maybe get a committee together to always have people take pics of new maps.  Also it could be updated whenever you log into DP.  Just a suggestion for build 23

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 04:45:39 PM »
1. http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=13606.0;topicseen
2. A committee isn't needed to take pictures, you could do it, or the map authors could do it.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 05:30:52 PM »
Just wait till Zorch's menus get their way into the game :).

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 12:28:17 AM »
DP Resource's map database already has screenshots for nearly every lit, released, non-jump, non-beta map in existence (513 maps+30 beta).

They're all here for download:
http://maps.digitalpaint.therisenrealm.com/archive/screenshots/

(Albeit, you'd need to write a script to download them all and save them as the map name.)

Zorch's menu is still using the old thumbnail pack I made a while ago, so it's missing a lot of maps (and it has some useless maps). Someone could create a script that could download the screenshots directly from DP Resource's map DB, so you could have the screenshots for the latest maps.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 11:18:14 AM by sk89q »

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 08:29:41 AM »
What this guy wants (which is almost impossible) is the same kind of 'tagging' in MP3 files to have a screenshot of the map incorperated to the .bsp file. It would be a rubbish idea

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 08:54:56 AM »
Pirate, do some research before you post or at least read the post above you.  This isn't impossible. 

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 08:57:50 AM »
read mine! This guy wants some way of having the .bsp file and the .jpg file of the screen in one file!.... .bpg   (jk)

Scope

• VM-68
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 05:13:00 PM »
To begin, say you want to find a certain map...but you forget the name.  After awhile you realize you will never find it because your list has 200 maps and almost all of them don't have screenshots.

Therefore my suggestion is that we need to develop  a new way to find maps.  The easiest way to do this is by attaching a screenshot to the map.  This way we can at least see what part of the map looks like.
If anybody has any other suggestions please put them here.
That's a good idea =)

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 12:17:39 PM »
read mine! This guy wants some way of having the .bsp file and the .jpg file of the screen in one file!.... .bpg   (jk)

That isn't impossible.  It would actually be a really good idea.  Allot less files to worry about.  And a tagging system for maps, in a similar way to MP3s, has been suggested somewhere (I forget where, exactly).

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 02:04:22 PM »
Yes, but can you store an image file INSIDE a map file? Not, ust storing a bit of text..

Also, you'd need a whole new program to merge the 2 files together. It would be very inneffeicient (sp??!!)

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2008, 02:20:11 PM »
Yes, but can you store an image file INSIDE a map file? Not, ust storing a bit of text..

Also, you'd need a whole new program to merge the 2 files together. It would be very inneffeicient (sp??!!)
Please stop posting it this thread.  You obviously don't know what your talking about.

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2008, 02:41:48 PM »
Erm, you're the guy that mis-interpreted his first post (with other people).

the other thing: What i say in these forums should get just as much credit as what people like zorch and Terrorist say, even if at times I do post too much and make a few mistakes.

Can we get back to the topic? This guy just wants to merge the jpg and bsp file together, and what I'm saying is that to do that for existing maps, we'd need to make a program to do it, cos I don't think that people want to go back to their maps and, when compiling, put a jpg file to all of their maps, re-upload it and have to go through all that trouble for each map.

This idea isn't really that great anyway. Why can't people just use screenshots and .bsp files seperately? I know it's twice as many files, but it makes it easier for the existing maps to stay how they are, without re-formatting them.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2008, 10:28:37 AM »
You can store textures in a map file, you can also store any type of file you want inside a demo - found out about this the other day with sk89q.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2008, 11:57:26 AM »
the other thing: What i say in these forums should get just as much credit as what people like zorch and Terrorist say

I rofl'd on that line...