Author Topic: Need to update the drivers for my video card but can't  (Read 3746 times)

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
Need to update the drivers for my video card but can't
« on: July 30, 2008, 02:56:59 PM »
Okay, as some of you may have seen from my topic (until it got locked - ?!?) I have the ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M Series video card. I downloaded some drivers (and have looked extensively for some others), but all of them say that the driver needs XP to install, and that the video card that I am running is for XP. I should explain here that I am running vista and the theme looks nice and doesn't have anything wrong with it (therefore the video card works, right?). My laptop was made by toshiba, but I can't seem to find any drivers from there or ATI. Oh, and the main roblem that comes out of this is that when I start up paintball2, it says something like 'OpenGL video card needed. Make sure drivers are up to date and you have an openGL Video card'. I know what this error means, but as you can tell from above, can't fix it

help??

Cheers in advance

pirate

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Re: Need to update the drivers for my video card but can't
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 03:08:33 PM »
Did u say you were running Vista with and XP card?  Or just using a Vista theme.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 03:17:21 PM »
The thread was locked as you did not provide COMPELTE information when requested.

You will ONLY get drivers from your laptop manufacturer for your video card.

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 03:33:13 PM »
Did u say you were running Vista with and XP card?  Or just using a Vista theme.
Well, that's the problem. I got the laptop 3rd hand (through family, lol) and didn't really care much for the video card, I just had the one that came with it. I had researched it and found that it's drivers on the internet all seemed to be for an XP video card. I couldn't find ANY drivers that were for that video card andwere vista compatible.

The thread was locked as you did not provide COMPELTE information when requested.

You will ONLY get drivers from your laptop manufacturer for your video card.

How about the make and model of the laptop?
The manufacturer is the ONLY place to get the latest drivers for it regardless of the maker of the graphics card.
oh, I thought you meant that the manufacturer of the vid card.

The laptop is made by toshiba according to the metal logo toshiba thing on top of the laptop

I did say what the make of the laptop was, and if you'd just said exactly what to do (as toshiba don't have any drivers on their website).

I need to sleep..

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 06:29:31 PM »
sigh, 1 website and a few clicks and anyone could find it...

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_modSel.jsp
or
http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html

if you can't figure it out from there, I'll directly link to the d/l, but you'd have to promise to delete your forum account afterwards.
and just for ^that link you shouldn't post on topics older than 3 weeks anymore, or try to prove anything you say through quotes, cuz saying "the metal logo toshiba thing on top of the laptop" is the type of remark that gets your threads locked.

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 08:22:41 AM »
Finally! I can post! This internet here is REALLY annoyingly tempremental (can't be arsed with sp atm).

The problem is that my specs say that my laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L30, but, as yu can see on the page linked, there are only L25s and L35s. I ran dxdiag and it says NOTHING apart from Toshiba Satellite L30 (see below). I am really getting tired of this now and I just want a driver that will let me play paintball2.

Sorry for all the 'inconvenience' and for my own annoyingness.

HOPEFULLY this will be the last time i need to post on this until I say 'everything ok, go back to your lives'.

Josh

EDIT

Woah! sorry for the huge pic. Don't have the time to change it atm..

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 01:35:08 PM »
grr, you really don't get it. The number AFTER the L30 is what I don't have. I could be downloading the completely wrong driver for a different laptop!

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 01:39:58 PM »
well then get the numbers after the L30 so you know what to get...

or see if my second link works...

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 01:45:23 PM »
well then get the numbers after the L30 so you know what to get...

Where the heck can I get that?!?!? I'm outa town atm so I don't have the origional documents (and I'm not sure that they're @ home anyway...) and I'm not getting back for aother week.

or see if my second link works...
That's where I went b4 (when i reasearched it looking for drivers) and there is no radeon xpress 200m (or X200m) series for 32-bit windows vista.

EDIT

Well, I've just posted my problem on the ATI forums. Guess I'll have to wait a decade for a response from there...

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 02:36:38 PM »
Wait, since when the hell did DirectX 10 come out?  Or is for Vista only, like everything Microsoft new makes is.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 02:41:01 PM »
Can you tie your own shoes?????

WHen the laptop boots up, more than likely the complete model number will show up.

Also, more than likely when you download the driver from TOSHIBA'S site, if it isn't the correct one, it will tell you.

You might also need a bios update.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 02:57:41 PM »
Yeah Directx10 is vista only.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 03:17:51 PM »
Yeah Directx10 is vista only.
God mother meddling Microsoft. I hate them female doges how they want us to go spend hundreds upgrading our comps to get free excrement. (wow, word filter got a few there :P)
[/offtopic]
[/rant]

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 03:32:29 AM »
okay, I'll reboot my comp and see if my full model number appears. If not, I'll go into setup...

EDIT

grr!!! my laptop doesnt tell me what it is. However, after doing many more searches I found this:
here

EDIT2

And this forum topic which is wuote usefully interesting. I'm downloading the driver from the last post now...
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 04:25:15 AM by i_am_a_pirate »

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2008, 10:30:21 AM »
That blocked over part is to hide the fact that the computer's network name is THE_FAPTOP.

Or judging by musical tastes, the BRAPTOP.