Author Topic: Team Balancing Proposal  (Read 2511 times)

sohan

• PGP
Team Balancing Proposal
« on: October 26, 2008, 04:33:09 PM »
Now I know IronFist made a nice proposal some time back but I believe that his idea is only half completed.

I'm going to suggest to you an idea which is much fairer but has the same basic idea.

The Flaw with IronFist's idea is that if say in a 16 person Pub, we have 8 Pro's and 8 Newb's, the computer randomly balances the teams out but inevitably the Pro's all want to be together so they keep changing back until after 2 minutes or so, we have a situation where the 2 teams are 8 Pro's vs. 8 Newbs. Not the fairest game huh?

So instead, I was thinking of a player rating system. Every player can be rated somehow and I have a few ideas (feel free to suggest your own):
1. Kills per minute average over your game career. So if after your first 5 maps you had kills per min of 2,3,5,2,3 then you'd have a score so far of 3.
2. People rate you on the game? (hard to implement)
3. Where you finish each time on the map i.e what position in terms of kills.

Now from this, 1 is obviously the fairest system. So, say if we take that, the next time you play on a server, the server realises that everyone has a score, and the teams can be balanced in terms of points. So one team may end up having 10 people and the other 16, but in terms of quality, both teams would be similar as we could have 10 Pro's vs. 7 Pro's and 9 Newbs. Also from this method, if people do switch over, a similar amount of points would be switched back, so the teams would once again be equal in terms of quality.

I can't really see any flaws in this. Plus it would make the game so much more fair, for those servr that use to implement the system.

Your opinions?

Sohan

Eiii

• Autococker
Re: Team Balancing Proposal
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 05:40:30 PM »
Yikes. I don't think any global system will work, especially since global stats aren't implemented yet. :P I'd go for just trying get each team to have the same average kills per minute based on what the server's seen. Since the time a player's been in the server and their kills are both already recorded, that shouldn't be too much of an issue- it's really just selecting which player to switch to make the teams as even as possible that's even a little bit tough.

sohan

• PGP
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 06:03:59 PM »
So you like the idea then? I'm sure some kind of implementation can be made, no? If not I think global stats should be at the forefront of the development list. It will make server's like OTB Speed a much better place as we won't have the general noobs and campers on one team and pro's and liners on the other team.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 06:11:09 PM »
So you like the idea then? I'm sure some kind of implementation can be made, no? If not I think global stats should be at the forefront of the development list. It will make server's like OTB Speed a much better place as we won't have the general noobs and campers on one team and pro's and liners on the other team.

sorry, but with a speed server, team balancing will never work. You will NEVER have the skill balanced.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 06:13:23 PM »
There tends to be no "pro's" in the speed servers anyway, those are just for the newbies who want instant and continuous action.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 09:13:00 AM »
Its a fun server, who cares :P

I know "autojoin on" and "autojoin off", but what makes "autojoin ping"?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 04:08:41 PM »
autojoin ping doesn't really work, since players are placed on a team as they connect, so they basically alternate, which kind of works out anyway since the first 2 players to connect probably have the fastest connection and will be placed on different teams, and so on.  I don't know if autojoin ping was ever fully implemented.  The idea was to split it up so that players with high pings didn't all end up on the same team, but you can't really determine an accurate ping until people have been connected for a short period of time.

What I was thinking for team balancing is this:

When g_autobalance is set to 1, the number of players on each team will be corrected each round (if there are 8 players on one side and 4 on the other, 2 players will be moved to make it 6 v 6).  Players would still be able to switch sides.

When g_autobalance is set to 2, players would not be able to switch teams at all, and the number of players would be corrected each round.

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 09:00:51 PM »
I'm not sure how useful g_autobalance 1 would be. From my experiences with balancing players after rounds, people just change back to their team. Maybe g_autobalance 1 would allow switching, but only if the teams are unbalanced (from a player leaving).

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 09:01:56 PM »
Autobalance + locking 'join'/only allowing it when the teams aren't even = :D

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 03:19:48 PM »
I'm not sure how useful g_autobalance 1 would be. From my experiences with balancing players after rounds, people just change back to their team. Maybe g_autobalance 1 would allow switching, but only if the teams are unbalanced (from a player leaving).
But you can't switch teams until the round ends or you die, so if the teams are auto-balanced each round, the teams would at least be balanced when each round starts.  This is obviously the less strict setting, and better than nothing.  It's more for the situations where like half of one team drops and nobody bothers to switch over.

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 06:52:01 PM »
how about restricting the team switching to 1-2 team changes per person?

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2008, 04:42:39 PM »
But you can't switch teams until the round ends or you die, so if the teams are auto-balanced each round, the teams would at least be balanced when each round starts.  This is obviously the less strict setting, and better than nothing.  It's more for the situations where like half of one team drops and nobody bothers to switch over.
yeah, more of a system where if the teams are unbalanced for a certain number of rounds by a certain amount of players, then the server will switch the person with the average amount of kills to the other team.

So: a) a player leaves, the teams are red 5vs3 blue
b) 2 rounds later the teams are still unbalanced the server then switches a player in the middle of the red leaderboard to blue, making it red 4vs4 blue

simple!.....ish