Author Topic: New Map: 2port - GGC Competition 2  (Read 5130 times)

cusoman

• Autococker
New Map: 2port - GGC Competition 2
« on: November 10, 2008, 07:11:21 PM »
Presenting 2port :)

This map is a remake of the team fortress map 2fort.

This version has:
-1 flag per base
-Multipath
-General Uberness

Enjoy playing on this desert planet between 2 space ports :)

-Cusoman

BETA 1 PICTURES:

ENJOY!!!!

MyeRs

• Autococker
Re: New Map: 2port - GGC Competition 2
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 07:49:14 PM »
Looks actually really good, ill download it later, or you can open your priv server with it on so i can test it out.

T3RR0R15T

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 09:38:11 AM »
Online @ OTB pub and match servers :)

Rent: www.otb-server.de

Laged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 10:02:36 AM »
The map looks pretty nice, just like the other maps in the contest :P
But, isn't the middle low a bit too empty?
Also, is there no way to get up from the lower part of the base without double jumping?

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 12:57:03 PM »
I hardly see the 2fort layout in this map, which means you did a very good job making it look different with keeping a similar layout. Very nice job.

There are a few spots that lack some flow, though. Like in low, those tubes look nice, but are a bit constricted. Same with those caves.

Overall though, aesthetics wise, I love it.

aircrew

• VM-68
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 02:10:38 PM »
This is my favourite in GGC competion, it´s famous...anothers map are good looking too, but this is most playable....

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 02:49:37 PM »
Thank you guys for your kind words.

In response to Laged: the main low tunnel path to the giant fan room is the one and only route that requires no double jumps.  The rest of the routes are faster, but double jumps are necessary.  I tried to balance each route so that they could all have fairly equal time getting to the flag.

-Cusoman

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 06:37:22 PM »
I don't like the fact that trick jumps are required for just about every path.  We need to make maps more accessible to new players if we want the game to grow.  Other than that, good work.  Good use of stock textures to fit the theme.  I'll give a more thorough review after judging.  In the meantime, I've uploaded it to the beta server (see pm for details).

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 09:02:22 PM »
Awesome map. Only thing I found was that it didn't feel spacey to me. Felt more indutrial/urban/weird. Don't get me wrong, it's an awesome map.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 05:17:38 AM »
I don't like the fact that trick jumps are required for just about every path.  We need to make maps more accessible to new players if we want the game to grow. 

+1

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 06:38:20 AM »
Well i doubt this map will be on pubs, and probably wasn't intended for pubs. So newer players wont really see it. It has its some simple paths, and a few dj's on the side. I played it in the beta server, and if everyone had an idea where they were going it would of had some good gameplay. [ even people just starting could get to the flag and cap it ] Good Job Cusoman

aircrew

• VM-68
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 11:16:52 AM »
I don't like the fact that trick jumps are required for just about every path.  We need to make maps more accessible to new players if we want the game to grow.  Other than that, good work.  Good use of stock textures to fit the theme.  I'll give a more thorough review after judging.  In the meantime, I've uploaded it to the beta server (see pm for details).
And I hate maps without any jumps, and a lot of better players does too. It´s hard to find a way between hard maps to newbies like pp_sw where is hard to grab a flag and easy, boring maps without any fun jumps.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 03:57:41 PM »
That's why there is a jump mod.

Go play it.

aircrew

• VM-68
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 04:20:58 PM »
Bla bla bla. Don´t you see any differences between jumping on jumps map with a way you have to go and jumping in match, when you can take a fast grab with a nice jump you own found? It´s very stupid to think that map without any jumps is playable map, if you are not sure, then go on pubs and let´s see what maps are playing, I don´t know more then five maps without jumps what are playing more then one time per week. Get off the old times with low ceilings and antiaiming traccer´s. It´s time to fast playing with some funny jumps and pretty good aim´s.

kazee

• Stingray
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 06:35:17 PM »
The problem with the jumps is that the only route that a newer player could take would be low through the tunnels.  If he entered the base from the front door he would have no way of getting to the flag and become quickly frustrated.  Perhaps adding a ramp in the room by the elevator(such as the ramp in the original 2fort5) would fix this issue.  You could still leave the dj and it would be a faster route.  Anyway the map is looking great, i like it much more than the original.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2008, 06:47:17 PM »
2fort5 isn't original, that is also an interpretation of the team fortress map 2fort

T3RR0R15T

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2008, 09:02:13 AM »
Can u upload it (2fort)?

The map looks really good. I wait for the next beta and ur ideas :)

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2008, 02:29:01 PM »
I'm glad so many people like the map, and I am thinking about adding in a ramp.  The room with the glowing cube originally had a ramp, but I thought it would make the map to easy to navigate, but based on the responses, I think I will put the ramp back in the room :)

-Cusoman

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2008, 11:31:32 PM »
I'm glad so many people like the map, and I am thinking about adding in a ramp.  The room with the glowing cube originally had a ramp, but I thought it would make the map to easy to navigate, but based on the responses, I think I will put the ramp back in the room :)

-Cusoman
Making a map easy to navigate is a good thing.  If players get lost or frustrated, they'll just disconnect, and if maps appeal only to the most skilled and experienced players, it's difficult to make the game grow.

I've attached a demo with suggestions for revisions.  I think the most important thing is getting some good gameplay testing in, though.  I've got the map up on the beta server.  I can't remember if I sent you login information or not.  Let me know if you need it.

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2008, 01:54:00 PM »
Thanks for the demo Jitspoe, I have been thinking a lot about 2port recently.  Time to get started on beta2 ! :)

-Cusoman