Author Topic: Possible Organization of a Tournament  (Read 4460 times)

DAMIEN

• VM-68
Possible Organization of a Tournament
« on: January 16, 2006, 01:08:26 AM »
I am thinking about organizing a tournament, if I do decide to get one together then I would need people to donate  servers for the tourney, at least 10 players interested in playing(before i even begin any plans), and I would make demoing self a requirement so I would need a few people who know how to check for HaXx0Rs and willing to review demoes. Anyone willing to donate server use, is interested in playing, or is willing to review demoes if tourney does happen?

Matze

• 68 Carbine
Re: Possible Organization of a Tournament
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 07:16:50 AM »
I offer you DoP server (europe) + 1 player :)

If there arent enough ill review demos, too.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 07:45:15 AM »
What sort of ideas did you have in mind for the tournament? 1v1? Maps?
I may be able to help out a great deal. :)

digi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 12:28:22 PM »
Please god don't do another stupid 1v1 tourney. 3v3+

but by the sounds of your 'atleast 10 people' I'm guessing it will be 1v1.

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 12:44:56 PM »
digi, if you make it more than 2on2, how many teams do you expect to take part? 4? 5? make it 2on2, and you might see 8+ teams appear...

digi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 01:02:01 PM »
5 teams of 3 is more fun then 1v1's.

Because the mod isn't very big, we should make everything 1v1/2v2? Take out all teamwork and turn the game into a snoozefest?

Also, no big (or decent sized) maps can be played in a 1v1 or 2v2. I know some of you may enjoy playing blitz/indune every single time you play pball, but some of us like real maps that require some thinking and strategizing.. not just spraying a line across an open field into a cluttered base. ;]

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2006, 01:09:07 PM »
I can hook you up with a server on EV1.

DAMIEN

• VM-68
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 01:54:02 PM »
k well looks to me that i will have plenty o help, and a couple servers thus far. i dont see many players expressing an intrest in playing though. i have a few ideas for the type of tourney i would wanna organize. however im not going to begin laying out plans and reserving servers until i see more people expressing interest. if i do do this, it will be structured and not just like "ohhh hey guys lets totally like omg have a tourney and stuff," so ill just wait see if more ppl post before i begin any plans.

and as far as the maps go, i assure u that it wont be blitz/pbcup/indune/xbmap1 over and over again. as a matter o fact, i am kinda workin on the layout of a smaller map right now, and if there is a mappper out there that might be interested in making it after i finish designing it, then it might provide for interesting tourney play. curious to see how ppl would play a brand new, never b4 seen map while competeing in a tourney

digi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 01:56:07 PM »
Oh, so it won't be blitz, but you're working on a map SMALLER then blitz? LMFAO.

High-larious.

PS - You give details FIRST.. THEN people decide if they want to play in it or not.

DAMIEN

• VM-68
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2006, 02:07:25 PM »
digi: a smaller map, as in, one that can be played by 2 teams of 2-3 ppl comfortably. without making it to large, i can just see how fun it would be to spend time running across sumthin like brain with a 2v2 or 3v3. while at the same time providing multiple paths and opportunities to use strategy.
just an idea, u dont have to be an ass.

and i just want more than 3 or 4 ppl posting in this topic with ideas and suggestions, not necessarily reserving a spot for a tourney that's format hasn't even been posted yet.

and in regards to wut u said about it being a 1v1 insta-nade f.aggot fest-

1v1 sux and im thinking that insta-nades might not be appropriate for this tourney.

digi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2006, 02:32:24 PM »
1) They aren't appropriate for anything. They're free, skill-less kills.

2) Just because people don't respond here doesn't mean no one wants to play. Most people don't even use these forums, and if they do, it's rarely. If you want to know if people are interested talk to them on irc.

3) Once again, no one is going to show interest when you aren't giving them anything to show interest in. Trust me, a lot more interest will be shown by everyone if you set something. Map, players, whatever. Anything that gives people atleast an idea.

DAMIEN

• VM-68
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2006, 02:49:17 PM »
k well ill get a few things together and i'll post a rough description o the tourney. at this point i dont feel like anything is concrete, maps, players per team, server settings, etc. although i cant give definite details, it'll give you an idea of wut im looking to do with the tourney.

on a side note, jitspoe:
how long do u think till there will be a server build with the primed nades available? i think that might be more appropriate than insta nades. wether or not primed nades will be used, timed nades will be available regardless.

in the mean time any requests/suggestions for the tourney will be valued now while i am still getting the basic rules/settings together. pm me on irc so i can take into consideration any input now as opposed to when the tourney becomes more concrete and difficult to make changes to, whithout it affecting other things. this being said, constructive critiscism is always welcome, it just seems that u(digi) have ideas of ur own that might make this a wee bit constructive/easier/smoother for me at this stage o the process

note:
when im on irc, i always idle - #paintball #conflict #pball-tacs

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2006, 04:21:07 PM »
I can give you a build with primed grenades now, if you want.  The official release shouldn't be too much longer off, though.

ZeroLegend

• VM-68
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2006, 04:28:49 PM »
3v3+...maps like b2, c1, hellsurv, encounter, etc....its as simple as that...

DAMIEN

• VM-68
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2006, 05:05:59 PM »
-jits: thx, i think that primed nades would be great for the tourney. although i can just imagine explaining how to use them to every other     person. <insert link to primed nade topic here>

-Zero: ive decided against a 3.vs.3 but i think the format for the matches that i have come up with will interest you. i writing out a .txt with a tourney outline. it has the round/player info in it. ill post link to it once its finished and uploaded.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2006, 06:28:22 PM »
I have no problem setting up an op level for you only for the tourneyment. If needed.

DAMIEN

• VM-68
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2006, 04:49:31 PM »
k heres wut i have had time to think up

http://www.troyquinones143.com/conflict/tournament.txt

will finish it and post asap

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2006, 04:54:36 PM »
Is there any maps made for 3 teams only? 2v2v2 ?

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2006, 10:29:19 PM »
Is there any maps made for 3 teams only? 2v2v2 ?
Check monet.bsp out.  I posted an overhead view of it in an old thread.

ZeroLegend

• VM-68
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2006, 10:45:54 AM »
2v2 is lame