Author Topic: Knack as Global Moderator  (Read 16594 times)

idias

• Autococker
Re: Knack as Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2009, 05:57:07 AM »
isn't it strange that knack hasn't retaliated to this unlike Mewa's thread O_o

hmmmm...

First off this thread is not meant to be offensive or flaming, instead constructive to the wellbeing of the DigitalPaintball 2 forums.(...)

You have to reestablish the line between the wellbeing of the forum and personal attacks to people that are doing their job...unfortunetly like blaa says Knack is not perfect but he works more than most of us for the wellbeing of the forum.

Please give me more reasons to believe that Knack shouldn't moderate than the fact that he locks posts. He does lock posts too fast, but most of the time he has good reasons.

-idias

Re

• VM-68
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2009, 06:22:46 AM »
Keep up the good work Knack   ;D

If I still ran a forum, I'd hire you in less than a minute  :o

Bix

• Autococker
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2009, 09:07:12 AM »
The only reason I say Knack is the one locking all the threads is because he always post at the end before he locks it. "Locked and moved for review." or "Locked".

This forum is meant for discussion, and Knack doesn't allow anything.

He is 'nazing' these forums. Controlling all the posts, removing anything he does not like. I don't think it is right for the community, or these forums.

Also pretty weird how all the people that side with Knack are the "forum trolls" who's presence is felt no where but these forums.

EDIT: Maybe some people can open their eyes and realize that offensive posts can lead to productivity. People need to be able to discuss here, or these forums are essentially pointless.

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2009, 10:10:39 AM »
"He is 'nazing' these forums."

That offends me...BAN HIM

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2009, 10:50:30 AM »
All this talk about how it's not a personal attack at KnacK... erm.. you specifically put his name in the thread. I bet the reason why he hasn't replied is that he's typing up his post in notepad. :D
Knack as a global moderator?

1. He is not a perfect global mod.
2. Nobody is perfect.
3. Knack is best for the job.

What irritates me the most is not the times when he locks some thread too quickly (some say), but those inside jokes (lol) with zorchenhimer (Hahahaha). It's really annoying >:-D
Exactly right

Personally  I'm quite mixed on all this. I think that he does a great job, but can take it a little too far. Some posts I read (without seeing who posted it) and immediately think: 'ooh, he's gonna get an ass-whooping from KnacK for saying that' and I see that KnacK posted it.
I think that other people could do the job maybe a bit more in-depth and they could look at the issue closer before locking a thread, but seriously, the amount of time KnacK has put into this is crazy. He deserves to stay as mod, even if he does annoy the crap outa me some people sometimes

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2009, 10:58:37 AM »
I think that other people could do the job maybe a bit more in-depth and they could look at the issue closer before locking a thread

I think he closes the threads because he does look at the issue very closely!!!

idias

• Autococker
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2009, 11:43:24 AM »
The only reason I say Knack is the one locking all the threads is because he always post at the end before he locks it. "Locked and moved for review." or "Locked".

This forum is meant for discussion, and Knack doesn't allow anything.

He is 'nazing' these forums. Controlling all the posts, removing anything he does not like. I don't think it is right for the community, or these forums.

Also pretty weird how all the people that side with Knack are the "forum trolls" who's presence is felt no where but these forums.

EDIT: Maybe some people can open their eyes and realize that offensive posts can lead to productivity. People need to be able to discuss here, or these forums are essentially pointless.

I repeat if he is active or inactive in-game is irrelevant.

And Bix naziing is a litlle too extreme and you say controling the posts like if it was bad...correct me if im wrong but isn't that part of his job?

And you say the ones who support him are "forum trolls" that only exist in forum...funny I've never seen you play...maybe because of time-zones...but don't throw facts that are not true...stop attacking everyone!
You say Knack usees his powers too much if that is the case defend ur point without being rude.

Sorry for my rudeness, idias.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 12:04:58 PM by idias »

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2009, 12:37:38 PM »
I repeat if he is active or inactive in-game is irrelevant.

And Bix naziing is a litlle too extreme and you say controling the posts like if it was bad...correct me if im wrong but isn't that part of his job?

And you say the ones who support him are "forum trolls" that only exist in forum...funny I've never seen you play...maybe because of time-zones...but don't throw facts that are not true...stop attacking everyone!
You say Knack usees his powers too much if that is the case defend ur point without being rude.

Sorry for my rudeness, idias.

Agreed 100%. You might not have seen me because I rarely play under DaglessMD, but by the same token I've never seen you Bix. You seem to be fundamentally misunderstanding the fact that endlessly announcing that your argument is not meant to offend and isn't a personal attack doesn't make it true.

This post will be a bit more candid. Once again I want to touch upon the line of offensive and productive. Most of the discussions on this forum DO offend someone, but are meant to be productive

What a ridiculous statement. What discussions on this forum tick those boxes? I'm sure in your head, mewa's and your own threads about forum moderation lately do, but they are the point of contention. What else? criticism in the mapping forum? That is a required part of the tacitly peer-reviewed map development in this community, and the only ones who offend or are offended are the immature contributors who can't bring themselves to contribute or take valid criticism constructively. Any more? Cheaters and Bans discussion? Just a load of unfettered not-so-righteous indignation posts and idle speculation or proclaimations of dissapointment/anger. Again, where is the co-existence of offensiveness AND constructiveness?

In the interests of a positive community spirit, no-one should have to be offended when they come to be part of it.

And mewa, this game is not 'public'. It happens to be freely distributed, but the financial and opportunity cost of development is paid by people like Knack, jitspoe, server owners, etc... You, nor anyone else has an intrinsic human right to dictate anything about this game or community, it is through the generosity of jitspoe that you even have things like the feature vote to help him prioritise development to please the most number of people. You and I are here but by the grace of those who spend their time to build and maintain this mod and community, the very least you can do is give them some support.

- Dagless MD

painted

• PGP
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2009, 12:45:50 PM »
Agreed 100%. You might not have seen me because I rarely play under DaglessMD, but by the same token I've never seen you Bix. You seem to be fundamentally misunderstanding the fact that endlessly announcing that your argument is not meant to offend and isn't a personal attack doesn't make it true.

What a ridiculous statement. What discussions on this forum tick those boxes? I'm sure in your head, mewa's and your own threads about forum moderation lately do, but they are the point of contention. What else? criticism in the mapping forum? That is a required part of the tacitly peer-reviewed map development in this community, and the only ones who offend or are offended are the immature contributors who can't bring themselves to contribute or take valid criticism constructively. Any more? Cheaters and Bans discussion? Just a load of unfettered not-so-righteous indignation posts and idle speculation or proclaimations of dissapointment/anger. Again, where is the co-existence of offensiveness AND constructiveness?

In the interests of a positive community spirit, no-one should have to be offended when they come to be part of it.

And mewa, this game is not 'public'. It happens to be freely distributed, but the financial and opportunity cost of development is paid by people like Knack, jitspoe, server owners, etc... You, nor anyone else has an intrinsic human right to dictate anything about this game or community, it is through the generosity of jitspoe that you even have things like the feature vote to help him prioritise development to please the most number of people. You and I are here but by the grace of those who spend their time to build and maintain this mod and community, the very least you can do is give them some support.

- Dagless MD

HEAR HEAR!! i guess he said it all i agreed 100%

P!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2009, 01:23:56 PM »
I think some of you need to look at this. Dropping to the Ad Hominem level makes for a very weak argument. I also think that's how a lot of mods decide if they should close something, the lower levels indicate a flame fest is in progress or will begin shortly. And guess how many locked threads from the first two pages of this section can be justified with it :D

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2009, 01:52:26 PM »
hjk

Re

• VM-68
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2009, 02:34:08 PM »

Funny you say that since I play on the 3ioB pub almost every day. I played there while you were there within the last few days.
* Re starts "trolling:  LoL
  :P

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2009, 02:44:55 PM »
 Well im on Knack's side and I generally dislike those trollers you are mentioning. By trollers I mean eii and zorch. Dont even remember if they have posted on this thread.

RiDe

• Stingray
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2009, 06:07:04 PM »

...funny I've never seen you play...
Bix is on almost everyday..

Bix

• Autococker
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2009, 07:08:33 PM »
Idias, you may need to check IRC. Look at DT's guide for newbies. I founded/run the best clan, record wise, in dp. #team_3iob. We are also normally the channel that besides #paintball, has the most people. I am normally around everyday and pub very little. I choose to do pickup games (started by me) or match because playing pubs can be pathetic. I think I pub more than 95% of the people in the higher end match scene, going 30-1 in a pub doesn't please me. I think i_am_a_pirate hit the correct fact. He is doing a good job, but takes it a bit too far sometimes. Knack cannot possibly know the context of every thread, due to the fact his presence isn't found in the clan scene, pubs, or IRC for the most part.

Furthermore, I do not mean to attack knack.  Since we have came to the conclusion Knack does = moderation, I am just substituting the word Knack for moderation.

EDIT: I think we should get back to the premises of this thread. Is Knack going too far?

vague312

• VM-68
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2009, 08:29:56 PM »
I think something like

Topic "Knack"
Body "Knack, could you calm down a bit with locking threads" or "Can you give posters a "get back on topic" warning before closing the thread"

Might get you a bit further.

Bix

• Autococker
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2009, 08:40:07 PM »
If you could understand my english that is probably using a vocabulary higher than your own you would understand that is what I am saying.

wafflez205

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2009, 08:49:36 PM »
This is the most idiotic thread EVER! Has anyone gone into the help section? Knack goes in there and tries to help every person he can in there and he is usually the most helpful guy in there.

Bix

• Autococker
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2009, 08:53:10 PM »
He also locks most threads that are trying to be constructive. It isn't about Knack helping people, it is about how he is locking too many threads thus not allowing people to express/discuss. People need to read my posts/posts in this forum in full before they start posting. Does being helpful mean you are a good moderator? It means you are a helpful moderator, not necessarily good.

wafflez205

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2009, 09:03:23 PM »
All of the mods lock threads and the creators lock them too. If I was a mod I would lock this thread because it just about some people whining just because the mods aren't doing things the way they want them to