Author Topic: Redo dpball.com  (Read 9049 times)

vLaD

• Autococker
Redo dpball.com
« on: January 21, 2009, 02:00:06 AM »
i was think what if we put it some effort in to redoing the website. looks cheesy right now and might be a turn off for future players. something more then a mono color background. maybe black and red. allot of  possibility's.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Re: Redo dpball.com
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 06:58:20 AM »
vlad,

what I suggest is that you create a mockup page, based on smf forum software, and see what it looks like. Examples would be great.

Jits won't change forum software as he is comfortable with its integration on the backend to everything else that he's going.

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 06:59:32 AM »
 I think it looks nice, I also think that you should really learn how to type and learn how to express yourself in a way somebody could intercourseign understand you.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 08:56:33 AM »
I actually really like the color scheme here.  It's nice and easy on the eyes.  I can read stuff on here for hours without my eyes starting to hurt.  Not the same with sites that have 20 different colors on a page.

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 11:16:30 AM »
I actually really like the color scheme here.  It's nice and easy on the eyes.  I can read stuff on here for hours without my eyes starting to hurt.  Not the same with sites that have 20 different colors on a page.

I like the color scheme and I think the top logo is fine. But in my opinion the the background texture is not very attractive.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 12:00:35 PM »
It's a background, you aren't supposed to be concentrating on it.  :P

P!nk

• Autococker
_
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 04:44:41 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:49:01 AM by P!nk »

mewa

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 05:34:57 PM »
I think vlads refering to the front page only, in which I agree with him. I always prefer sites that are simpler, and like Zorch said, sites with earthy colors and decent contrast tend to be the less fatiguing. In any case, I think that minimilist design was attempted for the front page too. More links and less clutter. But it seems to be too bare minimum. Load it with general links (sk89q's site, maybe links to the stable servers (to get files), any exteral sites relating, wiki!!!,  simple irc instructions, etc) and more updates in the news. It looks slighty dead when the news is updated every 3months.

The heart of the problem is most likely that the people who come here often dont use that page. I assume most of us have the forums link bookmarked and use that as a start page.

Paint-Magnet

• PGP
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 10:07:15 PM »
wow all of u badgering on vlad he made a simple suggestion....i agree with him this site it to bland...<3 u vlad

toM|vendettA

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 11:36:48 PM »
Maybe host a community contest! Most attractive design is voted upon, winner gets a free server for a few months?

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 01:25:34 AM »
It's a background, you aren't supposed to be concentrating on it.  :P

It is not as though I try to. But busy textures draw attention in all the wrong ways. If it is to be background then it should be less detailed than the foreground.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 12:47:48 PM »
Kinda agree to TS, I think simply having news on the front page is bad design too. It should be full of helpful information, primarily what the site is about information should be the first thing a visitor reads. eg.

DP Resource is a resource site for Digital Paint, a free, team-oriented, first-person (FPS) paintball shooter based off of the open-source Quake 2 engine. The game is still actively developed and there are usually over 100 players online at a time. Find out more and download the game!

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 01:41:56 PM »
Kinda agree to TS, I think simply having news on the front page is bad design too. It should be full of helpful information, primarily what the site is about information should be the first thing a visitor reads. eg.

I do agree with that though.

nub

• VM-68
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2009, 01:42:30 PM »
The only problem I have on the forums is at the end.
Where it shows the Pages and directly under it, it shows <<<previous and next >>>
I always get confused because I think its for the pages but instead its to the next thread.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 03:04:25 PM »
The site could probably stand to have some more information on the front page, but that's a content issue, not a design issue.

The only problem I have on the forums is at the end.
Where it shows the Pages and directly under it, it shows <<<previous and next >>>
I always get confused because I think its for the pages but instead its to the next thread.

Interesting point.  I've never really paid any attention to those links.  Does anybody ever use them?  Would there be any harm in just removing them completely?  I mean, usually, people either look at the thread titles or recent posts.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2009, 03:49:56 PM »
I do not use the previous and next links, just the show unread posts link.

pssst: put back the mark all posts read at the bottom of each page kthnx.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2009, 06:39:05 PM »
The site could probably stand to have some more information on the front page, but that's a content issue, not a design issue.

Must be an easy fix though, sticky one of those text areas at the top with a short intro or something, instant benefit too.

I've been looking at the front page, and trying to decide if its hard to read, and at least on my monitor I think the colour choices don't help. It looks like blue text on blue background, its ok for small amounts of text, but if I try and read one of those big paragraphs its hard to keep focus. The white text with jitspoes name on it is amazingly more clear to read, check it out.

Along with the above point, it might be an idea to make the brief intro white (or a clearer colour) and leave the news as it is, thereby giving a natural focus to want we want new visitors to see first.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2009, 11:24:11 PM »
Put back the mark all messages read link too, so I don't need to individually go to each section and do that.

MosEz

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2009, 01:05:17 AM »
nice one lekky
I Think we should also work with "console" like otb is doing

"console" : Dont cheat or whatever

so "console": Visit us on dpball.com and be part of the community in mIRC

and we should remake the irc chat part at the top. What is mIRC? Is It important for paintball or whatever

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2009, 04:52:15 AM »
nice one lekky
I Think we should also work with "console" like otb is doing

"console" : Dont cheat or whatever

so "console": Visit us on dpball.com and be part of the community in mIRC

I has this (list of tips) on my beginner servers a long time ago :P