Author Topic: Economy Update.  (Read 7023 times)

capo

• VM-68
Economy Update.
« on: February 25, 2009, 04:33:51 PM »
Well, I just watched the Oprah Winfrey show. It was basically about the economy and how people went from... Middle-Class to Homeless.

It just made me think more, and how its the worst it's ever been.

Didn't know there was tent cities. Meaning, people that had nice homes and jobs, are now sleeping in tents surrounded by other tents. There are thousands of these. Best advice would be to save as much as you can.

Is this having an effect on anyone else's life? Or a family members life?

Over 80,000 jobs have been lost. I know there's a government site somewhere, where you can request to have things done to your state... or something. Ohio is supposedly getting billions of dollars from a Stimulus Boost.

lilb990

• Autococker
Re: Economy Update.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 04:37:48 PM »
Well glad you brought up stimulus because obama offered Louisiana 700 MILLION dollars to help with Katrina damages. That meddling retard (Bobby Jindal - Louisiana State Governor) rejected it. We could have so many more houses built, supplies, and stuff that we need in Louisiana with that money but Bobby Jindal had to reject it. And yes it is effecting my grandmother and grandfather in Nevada. They are on the verge of losing their house and their jobs (well job only my grandfather works).

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 05:26:23 PM »
From http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20090220/pl_politico/19092

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal announced Friday that he will decline stimulus money specifically targeted at expanding state unemployment insurance coverage, becoming the first state executive to officially refuse any part of the federal government’s payout to states.
In a statement, Jindal, who is slated to give the Republican response to President Barack Obama’s message to Congress on Tuesday, expressed concern that expanding unemployment insurance coverage would lead to increased unemployment insurance taxes later on.
“The federal money in this bill will run out in less than three years for this benefit and our businesses would then be stuck paying the bill,” Jindal said. “We must be careful and thoughtful as we examine all the strings attached to the funding in this package. We cannot grow government in an unsustainable way.”

lilb990

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 07:48:30 PM »
Who gives a excrement about what he said that he rejected a lot of money that could be used to re-build houses in louisiana if you take a trip down here in like New Orleans, The Ninth Ward, and other wards that were badly affected by Katrina you will know what i'm talking about. Where i live in the small town of Abita Springs we did get affected, but not as much. The only bad thing we had was a small tree come through the kitchen but that was repaired.  Anyways, that money can be used to IMPROVE levee systems and many more things, barriers for example. In Katrina our barriers sucked so bad i think they said something like in 20 minutes into the storm in N.O. half of them were pretty much down. It was a bad decision rejecting it. Who cares if we would later on have to pay it? Atleast people down here wouldn't be on the side of the highway holding up a sign saying 'Please i'll do anything for food' or 'Please take me home' or 'Donate money' and most of the people that i see in the morning when i drive to LSU (university i go to) i see atleast 3-4 families FAMILIES on the side of the road. Ridiculous.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 08:08:01 PM »
Bobby Jindal's getting a lot of hate just 'cause he was on-camera. There are plenty more offenders here.

But this is how things always are, right? The party in power is trying to push what they want forward, while the guys out of power do everything they can to slow it down or stop it so that they can get their way. It's a silly system, and the people running it often seem childish at best. :(

lilb990

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 08:10:40 PM »
Eiii either way he should've accepted the stimulus but didn't cause of all this crap i'm sick and tired of seeing these people on the streets but all this lazy state can do is NOTHING but sit back and watch these people die on the streets.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 08:37:32 PM »
You're simplifying it, lots is being done. Lots more could be done, of course-- but the republicans are under the impression that they're thinking more long-term by blocking this bill until another, more suitable (to them) bill is drafted. The democrats wrote the darn thing, so of course they're pushing to get it passed-- and they can accuse the republicans of slowing the whole process down, as well. And maybe they are, but it's impossible to tell if passing the bill is a mistake until some time after it's passed. For the time being though, it's win-win for the democrats. Either way it's the republican's fault.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 09:08:12 PM »
Eiii,

The republicans would have liked to taken the time to see all of the package but the dems didn't have to wait, nor are the republicans slowing them down.

I am just disappointed that this stimulus package includes everything dems have wanted to do for a long time.  Too much pork, not enough help.

I feel for you guys.  YOU  are the ones that will be paying back all of the monies spent on this.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 10:55:57 PM »
The republicans would have liked to taken the time to see all of the package but the dems didn't have to wait, nor are the republicans slowing them down.

I am unable to parse this sentence. :( Might I have a restatement, in clearer terms?

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 03:57:31 AM »
Try Perl.  :)

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 05:21:49 AM »
In reality, the stimulus package was so large, page wise, that  there could be no way for anyone to read the entire contents to make sure that  it really will be good and well thought out.  And since the dems have the majority plus a few RINO's (republicans in name only) were for it, the dems didn't need any help from the republicans vote wise or even participating in building the stimulus plan. As when the bill went for final review, it was a team of dems that did it and they had no gop participation.

I'm just disappointed. I believe that there is too much special interest (ie.. resodding the National Mall lawn) in it than stimulus help.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 10:08:06 AM »
I am unable to parse this sentence. :( Might I have a restatement, in clearer terms?

Bill = 1k+ pages, debated and passed in roughly 7 days.

lilb990

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 10:09:49 AM »
Is anyone here in trouble with the economy disaster?

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 10:14:57 AM »
I'm rich, biatch.

Heh, seriously though, this 'economic downturn' doesn't affect ~90% of us.  Prices tend to be cheaper, from food to gas; for those of us who got home loans we could afford, foreclosure isn't knocking at the door.  And most workers with marketable skills won't be out of a job, except those in dying industries like American automobile manufacturing, etc.

lilb990

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 10:16:44 AM »
y00tz XD Even though you are rich you never know what will happen something might just pop up and you could go as capo said from Middle Class to homeless or in your case upper class to homeless...

capo

• VM-68
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2009, 10:27:19 AM »
Heh, seriously though, this 'economic downturn' doesn't affect ~90% of us.

Probably not, but there is a larger percentage it is effecting. There are THOUSANDS of tent cities. People that Had 10 bedroom houses and such, have lost it...  And now are living in their work offices.

It's going to take a few years to come up from this. Heh.

lilb990

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2009, 10:30:10 AM »
Yea it will be a couple of years i'm predicting atleast 3-4 years because of this war and all this crap going on. But if anyone ever has a chance and has the amount of money to come down here to Louisiana give me a call and i will show you all the homeless people around here.

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009, 10:42:58 AM »
Well, I just watched the Oprah Winfrey show. It was basically about the economy and how people went from... Middle-Class to Homeless.

It just made me think more, and how its the worst it's ever been.

Didn't know there was tent cities. Meaning, people that had nice homes and jobs, are now sleeping in tents surrounded by other tents. There are thousands of these. Best advice would be to save as much as you can.

Is this having an effect on anyone else's life? Or a family members life?

Over 80,000 jobs have been lost. I know there's a government site somewhere, where you can request to have things done to your state... or something. Ohio is supposedly getting billions of dollars from a Stimulus Boost.

btw, i didnt read any of the other posts made here. Just wanted to make fun of the first poster.

learning your economics from oprah is a relatively american activity. Now i know why you, americans, would want to point to australia when asked, where is france? You guys are meddling idiot :D :D :D.

And that, oh ma gad 80,000 lost jobs, oh ma gad, tent cities. Who the intercourse cares? Bah, tired of writing this excrement.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009, 10:52:50 AM »
...People that Had 10 bedroom houses and such, have lost it...  And now are living in their work offices.

Do you know why?

This is caused by people living beyond their means.  If you get an ARM for a house you couldnt afford with a conventional loan, then tuff. 

Owning a house is not a right, its a privilege, and the fact that judges are now going to renegotiate forclosed on homes mortgages so that these people that are living beyond their means can keep their homes really bites.

I worked hard for what I have. I am not over extended. I've owned 3 homes in my lifetime and have no problem making my monthly payment.

AND!
I have homeowners insurance so that if another hurricane crosses over the top of my house ( ie.. like Ike did) I will be taken care of.

capo

• VM-68
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2009, 11:08:53 AM »
And that, oh ma gad 80,000 lost jobs, oh ma gad, tent cities. Who the intercourse cares? Bah, tired of writing this excrement.

blaa, you're a meddling idiot.

Is it wrong to post about such things that effect most people? You clearly shouldn't post in my topics. Almost every topic I've made, you were negative.