Author Topic: Newbie Improvement  (Read 3243 times)

Privateer

• PGP
Newbie Improvement
« on: June 12, 2009, 11:49:48 PM »
I am Privateer, more commonly known as Operative. I have seen posts about aim improvement, strafing etc. I represent most newbies, as they are in the same position although this is the first FPS (first person shooter) that i have ever played.

But let me just lay out my scenario:
I just started playing a week and a half ago. I was eager to learn and jumped right in. I am already in a training clan =ej= but only really got trained once, by RiCoChET. I have played 60 hours already, have gotten to know some players quite well etc. But, I am in need of tons of improvement, I can strafe, not very well though, have a djump script that really helps, I can make most djumps. I can move faster than about half of the players. My aim is pretty bad, no matter what I do I just can't seem to hit, while they can. Basically, I feel that I have hit a brick wall, that my progress is stopped. I want to improve, I want to be good.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom for me and the other newbies?

fasian

• 68 Carbine
Re: Newbie Improvement
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 02:54:12 AM »
have a djump script that really helps, I can make most djumps.
Start trying double jumps without the script.
I can move faster than about half of the players.
In the pub im guessing. Just keep practising with your aim and you'll be fine. =]

Privateer

• PGP
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 07:30:49 AM »
How do I unbind only the djump script?

And yes, in the pubs, I get killed in matches.

fasian

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 08:08:30 AM »
How do I unbind only the djump script?
uhh not sure, try 'unbind <TheKeyYouBindedDjscriptTo>' in the console.

lilb990

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 09:24:33 AM »
just go to your config.cfg file and take it out than save it and you should be fine.

Br55HiT

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 07:20:39 PM »
Bind your jump key to +moveup

Viper

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 03:23:03 AM »
have a djump script that really helps, I can make most djumps
The easiest way to learn dj without dj script is if you use mouse2 as jump key

I can strafe, not very well though.. I can move faster than about half of the players.

Try some jumpmaps to improve your strafe skills.
Then try to do a speedjump on pp1,sh33 or airtime

DP² is a game which you can learn easily. Here some points:
1. Dont play on speedserver
2. Play matches
3. Learning by doing

mewa

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 06:02:36 PM »
the only way to improve is to quit.

i believe it's a buddhist philosophy.

Privateer

• PGP
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 07:26:52 PM »
Don't listen to mewa, none of his advice stands:

the only way to improve is to quit.

i believe it's a buddhist philosophy.

So you haven't improved?

Logic: The only way to improve is to quit. You haven't quit. Therefore, you haven't improved.
Therefore I can take the entire argument as false, If you haven't improved then you can't teach others to improve. It is a logical 'trap', there is no validity in the statement.

mewa I am just messing with you. lol ;)
(I was in a debate and speech league this past year) :D

mewa

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 10:51:41 PM »
you have much to learn young jedi.

Fitz

• Stingray
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 11:55:16 PM »
you have much to learn young jedi.
*young padawan

atmays

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 11:55:34 PM »
Speed servers help to a certain extent, certain maps help you build your reaction time.

I found that you will get faster by playing with a group of players for a long period of time opposed to clan hopping. So try and find people you play well with and build a good relationship with.

I would suggest clans to stay away from but that might just cause alot of flaming. PM me on mirc and Maybe I can help you a little.

Dukky

• Stingray
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 12:46:47 AM »
Keep the Doublejump script.

I don't quite understand this idea that by putting yourself at a disadvantage you are then better at DJing. There are so many other things to think about while playing, it's far easier for you to press one button and get the doublejump rather than hit space bar (or Mouse2) twice, fail, concentrate on making the jump, fail again, then make it. You get totally distracted and once you're distracted, you get shot. There is no disadvantage with the DJscript. I played with it for 6 months or so and could complete many jump maps, and could do many of the jumps on maps backwards, all of them forwards.

If some one would care to explain why you're better off without the script, please do.

I would say learn how to use the DJscript, it's far easier to use and has a 100% success rate once you get the feel of it. Obviously this could be said of Djing without script, but this is takes far longer and in the end you're no better off than you would've been with the DJscript

flip

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 06:31:24 PM »
Since you spend most of your time spamming nonsense in the irc channel instead of actually asking your teammates for help I have no sympathy for you. If you are looking for help outside our team then I have a list of players I recommend for helping you.

1) Jigsaw - He talks a lot of smack but will help if you ask.

2) Superman - Taught me quite a bit by always spending time messing around with out flaming.

3) Reaver - Very helpful and willing to work wih anyone. Very straight up individual but a little intense at times.

4) atmays - He has helped many new players with jumping, working maps, and just being a descent person.

5) Jusu - He has came a long way and hasn't forgotten that he was once flamed as a noob.

6) olbaid - Wonderful teacher. Will spend the time he has teaching you by messing around with you.

There is so many but these are the ones that I can think of right off the top of my head. If you spend the time being yourself and not acting like an arse you will be suprised at the amount of people in this game that will actually help you. The hardest part is being inducted into the "family". Once you've been around long enough you'll understand. I'll be on tonight if you want to work some maps.

SkaDooSh

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 06:36:36 PM »
Theres MY flip, love you :D