Author Topic: Monthly Mapping Competitions  (Read 8058 times)

RoBbIe

• Autococker
Monthly Mapping Competitions
« on: July 11, 2009, 11:08:05 AM »
Well i got this idea from musik's post, But i don't wanna just talk in that post because i don't like the idea for a "mapping committee",

I think there should be a monthly mapping competition like the GGC, Which is held rarely, We could use the same format, "Admin" selects a theme, and you start a new map, It cant be started on before it was announced, Beta's are allowed, Maybe 1st 2nd 3rd place prize, So tell me your thoughts on this.

ALSO, maybe if you wanna make it more of a challenge, When telling the theme, The admin's also select a certain brush, Like for example, This months theme is Sci-Fi,  The map MOST include a ufo brush/model you made
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 04:40:34 PM by RoBbIe »

nub

• VM-68
Re: Monthy Mapping Competition
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 11:15:58 AM »
again it is allowed not aloud

Also, will you be supplying the prizes?

I have to agree with you Robbie. I was thinking the same idea. Instead I was thinking about a summer competition. That way people have time to create a decent map.

zimtstern

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
Re: Monthy Mapping Competition
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 11:18:28 AM »
Topic: Monthy Mapping Competition
something s missing..

idea is not so bad

RoBbIe

• Autococker
Re: Monthy Mapping Competitions
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 11:26:29 AM »
again it is allowed not aloud

Also, will you be supplying the prizes?

I have to agree with you Robbie. I was thinking the same idea. Instead I was thinking about a summer competition. That way people have time to create a decent map.

A month is a lil bit of  rush yes, but i say people can/will do it. Maps are worked on very slowly, and i think if you get competitions and prizes, The work will speed up, and can give us more of a variety in themes, because the theme will never be the same.

fixed the word

And i could for some prizes maybe 1st place gets a free gift on steam or something idk, And maybe have a server that will prize 1st place winner, by adding the map in rotation for 1 week or so, and if the admin likes it keep it, giving people the chance to go through the map

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 11:46:42 AM »
sounds great i dont think we need gifts just the places of the winners should be enough for me

RoBbIe

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 11:49:48 AM »
sounds great i dont think we need gifts just the places of the winners should be enough for me
Yea, but i like the idea of a popular pub or popular pubs, add the 1st place map in rotation for 1 week or stay in if it gets good reviews and good fun gameplay.

idias

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 12:05:34 PM »
Are you sure you can afford to make a monthly competition, why not make it every 2 months, or 3, and have better maps, soo that you give lots of time for people to improve their maps.

A month is a lil bit of  rush yes, but i say people can/will do it. Maps are worked on very slowly, and i think if you get competitions and prizes, The work will speed up, and can give us more of a variety in themes, because the theme will never be the same.

Soo you want people to speed up their maps, and to make maps worst than they could if they had more time. While if you give the mappers more time, you can allow them to improve it's flaws and mistakes.

And i could for some prizes maybe 1st place gets a free gift on steam or something idk, And maybe have a server that will prize 1st place winner, by adding the map in rotation for 1 week or so, and if the admin likes it keep it, giving people the chance to go through the map

Seems fair.

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 12:16:36 PM »
good idea :) finally robbie posts something decent in his forum career =]

altho my bsp experience is like the worst :p so i will get 4944532nd place if im lucky :D:D

RoBbIe

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 01:01:22 PM »
good idea :) finally robbie posts something decent in his forum career =]

altho my bsp experience is like the worst :p so i will get 4944532nd place if im lucky :D:D

If only we had that many talented mappers :) but with this contest being implemented i think other members will want to try to map and get the mapping scene bigger :)

Are you sure you can afford to make a monthly competition, why not make it every 2 months, or 3, and have better maps, soo that you give lots of time for people to improve their maps.

Soo you want people to speed up their maps, and to make maps worst than they could if they had more time. While if you give the mappers more time, you can allow them to improve it's flaws and mistakes.

Seems fair.

The maps wont be worse, If you give them 1 month you can create a vast amount of maps the GGC didnt even last a month (i think) and it turned out with having a couple good maps, I would like to have a couple people volunteer to help me,

ALSO, previous competitions were judged by a group of 4 i think, BUT for this i would like it to be a 3 day voting poll, of everyone, if you login 1-3 of the voting days, You will get to vote on your favorite map, Unless you think judges would be more fair, you can tell me otherwise. The mappers also can vote, BUT cannot vote for there own creation, I think if you really have time you can enter multiple maps (if you think that seems fair i wanna go with the majority of the members not on what i think) But, i would like to get this started soon just make a post or pm me to volunteer. You do not have to be a mapping genius to help with this project. And when i get enough people to help me, we will come up with the theme and the specific brush that must be included in the map.

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 01:14:00 PM »
a poll would simply be a popularity contenst
+1 for a group of 4-7 judges

RoBbIe

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2009, 01:22:18 PM »
a poll would simply be a popularity contenst
+1 for a group of 4-7 judges

Yea, but it would need to be well trusted and people that know what to look for, id say 4-7 how ever many people want to sign up to be a judge that can be trustworthy,

Actually, we could do both ways, but the judges do a vote again, and you do the average score between the 2 vote methods to choose the winner

idias

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2009, 02:28:39 PM »
I can help you with the organizing part if you want. Or anything you want.

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2009, 02:41:28 PM »
ass kisser.

idias

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2009, 02:43:52 PM »
Flamer?

I am not ass kissing, just being nice  :)

Henkka

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2009, 02:44:08 PM »
Would be no point in this. I would win every month...

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2009, 02:45:44 PM »
I'm sorry idias , I dont know what came over me. I am 100% wrong and you are right
I was just a fool and I was messed up at the time
Please forgive me my love

RoBbIe

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2009, 04:38:30 PM »
I can help you with the organizing part if you want. Or anything you want.

Maybe, But first we need to see who all signs up for this, should I make a mirc channel for this?

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Re: Monthly Mapping Competitions
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2009, 06:06:28 PM »
It's a GREAT idea, just I personally don't think you should be the one to organise it.
On the other hand, if you organise you can't submit a map right? :P

Anyways, I have to agree with the newbie up there, no need for prizes. Just the fact you get recognised for winning a map competition would be enough I'd think.

RoBbIe

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2009, 06:25:25 PM »
It's a GREAT idea, just I personally don't think you should be the one to organise it.
On the other hand, if you organise you can't submit a map right? :P

Anyways, I have to agree with the newbie up there, no need for prizes. Just the fact you get recognised for winning a map competition would be enough I'd think.

I personally am not leading it, Everyone on the forum is, i just will announce and give out prizes (if that month does give out a prize) and i am the one who will try to find the judges,  And if you are judge or anyone that has any part in this competition can still make a map.

Yes being recognized would be good, but i feel if we get superman or someone with a popular pub to agree to add the 1st place map into rotation for a week would be nice also

vague312

• VM-68
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2009, 06:31:04 PM »
might be better to simply start a Poll with the map submissions and let everyone viewing the forum vote in private. It would be a bit less counting on the organizers part.