Author Topic: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - Deadline is here.  (Read 58327 times)

KI3S

• 68 Carbine
Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2009, 11:31:17 PM »
Then have the mappers release the .map to only the people judging. And make sure those judging are trustworthy not to leak it out.

yes, but there will be organized testing too right? Perhaps you could ask some experienced clans/players to match on each map, in addition to any testing/judging that the judges do.

That would probably be good, but  other contestants  would probably take ideas from your map and use it with theirs. All they need is a recorded demo from someone who tests your map out and they get a sneek peek of their competition.

ip0d

• VM-68
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2009, 11:33:21 PM »
Then have the mappers release the .map to only the people judging. And make sure those judging are trustworthy not to leak it out.

That would probably be good, but  other contestants  would probably take ideas from your map and use it with theirs. All they need is a recorded demo from someone who tests your map out and they get a sneek peek of their competition.

you would have to have to .bsp file to watch the demo..

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2009, 11:37:27 PM »
Judging System for now: (Notice, this is not in too much detail yet)
2 mappers and 2 matchers will make up the Judges. Each judge will rate all 4 criterias. In addition, each judge also has to rate 1 criteria in further detail. The results will be the original 4 ratings from each judge, named "Individual Ratings", and the combined 4 specilaized ratings from each judge, named "Specialized Ratings". The results of both "Individual" and "Specialized" ratings will determine the winner.

.map files will ONLY be given to the judges. No one else will recieve access to them other than the committee member who recieved it from the mapper. The judges will also be selected carefully.

Pajama-Sam

• Stingray
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2009, 04:13:21 AM »
a. Name of Mapper(s):      Putt-Putt   ic3y
b. Method(s) of Contact:       email, irc (#team_l!ar or #team_ej), xfire (putting), vent (old or new)      IRC: /query ic3y, xfire: ic3viru5, icq: 279718253, msn: ic3y@live.de
c. Date of Registration:       July 14, 2009

(bold is Putt-Putt) (normal is ic3y)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 01:17:09 PM by Pajama-Sam »

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2009, 10:53:18 AM »
xMAOCOM Data Center under construction.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 08:16:37 PM by musickid999 »

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2009, 11:40:00 AM »
Official xMAPCOM forums are under construction, much thanks to vague312. As soon as all the necessary details and settings are finished, a link will be provided, where it will take place of this thread. All future xMAPCOM discussions will take place on the forums.

No offence, but that is just about the surest way possible of killing this whole thing. Trust. :)

Also, it's more like a mapping clan than a 'committee' - committee draws parallels to the DP committee and makes it sound official. Might want to change that.

SkaDooSh

• Autococker
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2009, 01:02:13 PM »
Nice to see people are participating. Let's see if any new mappers decide to join. That would be even better.

a. Name of Mapper(s): RiCoChET, Muggins, Operative, Battle
b. Method of Contact: IRC: #team_ej xfire: skadoosh77
c. Date of Registration: July 14

We are all new to mapping, hopefully this will give us a good experience and make us better at it. Yes, we will be using all four people to work on this map. :D
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 11:35:23 PM by skies »

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2009, 03:09:19 PM »

I meant that after all the maps are submitted, then the judging begins. Ie. no sneaking a peek ^^

@musickid999 so each judges individual ratings are displayed? not just each overall rating of each aspect (like an average rating, all judges ratings combined, for each category) >.>

maybe the judges want some discretion so they don't get raged by their friends for giving an honest vote, rather than one to make their buddy win.

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2009, 08:57:12 PM »
No offence, but that is just about the surest way possible of killing this whole thing. Trust. :)

Also, it's more like a mapping clan than a 'committee' - committee draws parallels to the DP committee and makes it sound official. Might want to change that.

We did that mainly for organization purposes. It's also a lot easier for us to keep track of things.

a. Name of Mapper(s): RiCoChET, Muggins, Dizzle, Battle (Subject to change)
b. Method of Contact: IRC: #team_ej xfire: skadoosh77
c. Date of Registration: July 14

We are all new to mapping, hopefully this will give us a good experience and make us better at it. Yes, we will be using all four people to work on this map. :D

Thanks to all four of you for deciding to participate in the competition. This is exactly what we made this group for.

I meant that after all the maps are submitted, then the judging begins. Ie. no sneaking a peek ^^

@musickid999 so each judges individual ratings are displayed? not just each overall rating of each aspect (like an average rating, all judges ratings combined, for each category) >.>

maybe the judges want some discretion so they don't get raged by their friends for giving an honest vote, rather than one to make their buddy win.

No, we won't be showing the individual scores of the judges. You misinterpreted what I said. :) It's kind of hard to explain, so I'll wait until we're absolutely sure what we're going to do with the judging system before we explain it properly.

Judging System will be:
To be announced.

EDIT: Another Announcement:
Most of the current committee members' are temporary.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 07:06:51 AM by musickid999 »

SkaDooSh

• Autococker
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2009, 11:49:28 PM »
A few things,

Operative has taken Dizzle's place on our team

Fall Season: September and October
Fall/Winter Season: November and December
Winter Season: January and February
Winter/Spring Season: March and April
Spring Season: May
Spring/Summer Season: June
Summer Season: July and August 

If you're planning to run this all year long, I would factor in the time people would have to work on the map. Example: Longer seasons during the months most people are in school, shorter in the summer.

Candidates and Volunteered (Unconfirmed) Judges:
- CoolGuY (v)

No.

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2009, 11:53:04 PM »
We're going to adjust the season lengths depending on the results of the test season. If the maps seem rushed and incomplete, then we will indeed increase the length of each competition. Now, the reason Spring and Spring/Summer competitions are shorter, is that these times are exam times. Most people won't even bother mapping during these months. They are made shorter so that these mappers do not miss out on too much. Also, not every season is guaranteed a competition. These are just season dates.

As to the judge, I agreed, but I need to be fair and put his name there. The names put there are not at all guaranteed to judge the competition.

SkaDooSh

• Autococker
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2009, 12:05:45 AM »
We're going to adjust the season lengths depending on the results of the test season. If the maps seem rushed and incomplete, then we will indeed increase the length of each competition. Now, the reason Spring and Spring/Summer competitions are shorter, is that these times are exam times. Most people won't even bother mapping during these months. They are made shorter so that these mappers do not miss out on too much. Also, not every season is guaranteed a competition. These are just season dates.

Alright, I think 3 four month seasons or 4 three month seasons would be good, then people would have plenty of time to work on it and wouldn't be rushed. As for exams, if the season runs long enough before and after that time of the year it would give enough time to work on it, take a break for the exams and not have to worry about the map, and pick it up when the exams are over. I think every season would have a contest this way.

The theme will be
Quote from: Rick on July 12, 2009, 12:12:00 AM
Theme- Under Ground

Brush-model- Rocks

If this is the theme for this competition can you include it in the first post, and maybe make it a little more detailed for us new mappers :)

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2009, 12:19:36 AM »
If we changed them, they would be 4 three month long seasons. Newer mappers probably won't have as long an attention span as some better mappers. It's not all "I have to release an amazing map!", you know. have some fun. This organization was made for 2 reasons.

1 - To make mapping more enjoyable. Everything's a bit more fun when you're competing. Sure, there's more pressure, but the competition provides a lot of time, and the ability to work in groups makes it even more enjoyable.
2 - To attract more mappers to actively join in the DP community. I'm sure a lot of people have tried to map, or have even made a playable map. They simply don't release the map to the community. Look at Elimnator (http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=17730.0). The mapping community probably have never heard of him, but look at his maps. Sure, some of them could use some work, but a lot are playable, and his mapping skill could easily be developed.

Some people in the community think, "Why bother mapping? It's just a game anyway." I myself am not a hardcore gamer, and I understand that valid point. However, being able to map, or at least know the basics of 3D manipulation (mapping, 3D modelling, etc) can help you get a challenging yet entertaining career like a game designer. It's not all games either. Have you ever thought of mapping like arranging props in a movie set? Not only can you go into games, but if you're a great mapper, chances are anything to do with design, you'll do better at.

EDIT: Fxed the first post for clearer instructions.

Rewind

• VM-68
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2009, 09:36:56 AM »
Don't make a forum for this. Viciouz is absolutely right, this thing will die before anyone even submits a map. I gauruntee the forums are probably hosted under invisionfree or something, so they're going to look like junk to begin with. Not to mention no one wants to register on a completely different forum for something that could easily be done here.

When a map is submitted, the one submitting it should have something like; "[xMAPCOM] New Map - blahblahblah" And then people will know its for the contest. On top of which, a link to the topic be posted in this thread.

Don't make an entirely new forum. Just don't.

mewa

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2009, 10:51:39 AM »
musickid has told me repeatedly, after i expressed the same idea to him, that he's not trying to replace using the dplogin.com forums. all the main info would remain here while the other forum acts as a supplement, as well as a place for whomevers helping organize to discuss. i got the impression that contest registration might take place on that site, which makes sense considering how chaotic and prone to errors having everyone post a 4line post in a thread for registration can be. this is how ggc ran their last tournament (fall/winter?) and it seemed to work well.

these arent his words verbatim, so please dont come female dog at me if i misunderstood something.

pheeks

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2009, 11:04:30 AM »
Don't make a forum for this. Viciouz is absolutely right, this thing will die before anyone even submits a map. I gauruntee the forums are probably hosted under invisionfree or something, so they're going to look like junk to begin with. Not to mention no one wants to register on a completely different forum for something that could easily be done here.

When a map is submitted, the one submitting it should have something like; "[xMAPCOM] New Map - blahblahblah" And then people will know its for the contest. On top of which, a link to the topic be posted in this thread.

Don't make an entirely new forum. Just don't.
We already did make a new forum but  I can't release the website info yet.

SkaDooSh

• Autococker
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2009, 11:13:50 AM »
Thx music, and glad to see DT in there invited as a judge

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2009, 11:16:21 AM »
Thx music, and glad to see DT in there as a judge

I think he is just invited...

KI3S

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2009, 01:21:42 PM »
Yeah I'd rather have it all on here. If the judges need a place to calculate scores and meet together to talk or something it should be done on IRC or something. A new website and forum is not really needed and will like Vic said probably kill this.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2009, 02:47:39 PM »
Its different though for teams like me and Rick.  Its currently winter over here and we don't have holidays currently.  Our breaks are completely different to your, as we get most of december, january and parts of feb off.  Oh and when we have exams its different to yours, ours are in November :).

If you made the seasons 3 months like skies I think said above, it would mean that anything that got in the way, eg exams would only be there for a month and a half at most and still have time after it to complete a map.