Author Topic: Virus Protection  (Read 6008 times)

Henrod

• 68 Carbine
Virus Protection
« on: July 31, 2009, 03:33:06 PM »
Protecting your computer from virus and spyware is one of the easiest things to do for the health of your computer. It totally floors me that most people don't keep their virus software up to date. I get PM's, phone calls, and emails 2 or 3 times a day about virus issues. There are some simple steps to keeping your computer safe.

First thing first - NEVER ASK ER33T TO HELP YOU WITH YOUR COMPUTER PROBLEMS!!! Now that that is out of the way, I'd like you to remember to NEVER ASK ER33T TO HELP YOU WITH YOUR COMPUTER PROBLEMS!!! If you ignore this you deserve whatever happens to you.

Now on to virus protection. Personally, I have had excellent results with free software. Some people recommend subscription based programs, but I'm a cheapskate so I stick with AVG. I've been using AVG as long as I have had high speed Internet and have never had a virus ruin my system. There are other free programs out there that may work as well or better than AVG but I stick with AVG because it is so simple to use. You download it, install it and you are done. It automatically scans and updates everyday. I have also had good luck with Avira, however it takes a little more fine tuning than AVG. The reason I don't like the programs that you pay for is that they tend to be very resource intensive. They do a great job of keeping you out of trouble, but I'd rather not deal with constant pop ups from my anti virus program. The reason these programs are such resource hogs is that they constantly monitor your system for incoming threats and watch all the processes to look for anything out of the ordinary. Cool if you have a ton of ram and a badass processor, but pretty counterproductive if you have an older machine. Especially if you want you machine to pump all available resources into whatever game you are playing.

http://download.cnet.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition/3000-2239_4-10320142.html?tag=contentBody;mostPopTwoColWrap

No one anti virus program will catch every virus, whether you pay for it or not. In fact AVG and Avira consistently have better capture rates than McAfee and Norton. Some viruses are bound to get through, but running multiple anti virus programs on your computer is a bad idea. I use a program called MalwareBytes that can painlessly remove some pretty gnarly viruses and trojans that other AV programs can't. Personally I run Malware bytes every other week unless I've been doing heavy downloading.

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?tag=mncol

Another thing worth doing once a month is using Microsoft's free online scanner. Not only does it scan your computer for viruses from the web, but it scans your registry and runs a defrag on your hard drive.

http://onecare.live.com/scan

That's pretty much all you need to do to safeguard yourself from virus and spyware. There are other methods but this works for me and my customers as well as all of our business computers. There is always common sense of course. Don't accept anything over IRC, don't open email attachments unless you know where they are coming from and what they are, and don't ask random strangers on the Internet for help. Also, its good to remember that anything can happen to your computer's hardware or software and your data is only as good as your last backup. I've had customers come in with fried hard drives asking me to recover their $500-$1000 worth of I-Tunes who never had anything backed up. Sadly at that point it can be cheaper to re-buy the songs than do data recovery from a failed drive. So good luck staying safe online and NEVER ASK ER33T TO HELP YOU WITH YOUR COMPUTER PROBLEMS!!!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 05:10:08 PM by Henrod »

SkaDooSh

• Autococker
Re: Virus Protection
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 04:56:34 PM »
NEVER ASK ER33T TO HELP YOU WITH YOUR COMPUTER PROBLEMS!!!

Sadly...

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 07:51:59 PM »
Step 1: Don't use Internet Explorer.
Step 2: Don't use Outlook.
Step 3: Enjoy not having viruses.

That's worked out pretty well for me.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 08:07:56 PM »

Thats worked wonders for me too.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 09:28:07 PM »

Does anyone actually use Outlook nowadays?

Henrod

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 10:00:16 PM »

Unfortunately 1 out of 10 of my tech calls are outlook related. I tell people to use gmail more and more.

KI3S

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 11:57:29 PM »
AVG is really good for it being free. Been using it for about maybe 4 months now, no viruses or anything.

Took forever to get that darn Norton out.

NEVER ASK ER33T TO HELP YOU WITH YOUR COMPUTER PROBLEMS!!!

That poor kid Operative.

ip0d

• VM-68
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 12:05:03 AM »
yea i have AVG

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 01:31:01 AM »

My parents.  They call me a few times a month trying to figure out how to do something in Outlook.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 02:23:10 AM »
That poor kid Operative.

Who cares, it was too darn funny.

MaX_OwnAge

• PGP
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 06:58:28 AM »
I don't know the last time any of you used Outlook, but they have made wondrous improvements in security. I like v2007 alot. Oh and yes people use it, Outlook/Exchange has about a 55% market share and it has been growing at a rate of about 14-17% for the past several years, so....

Also, it's not so much the application as it is the moronic things people do online. I agree that Firefox is better than IE, but if you are just smart about what you are doing you will not get infected using IE.

I use AVG and Malwarebytes as well. No need for a subscription service. However if you really want one, I'd go with CA Internet Security. The new version is pretty sweet.

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2009, 07:57:19 AM »
Firefox, Thunderbird, AVG FT(non-virus)W

Henrod

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2009, 09:44:44 AM »
Took forever to get that darn Norton out.

Norton can be a real pain to uninstall, but at least they know it. Heres a link to their removal tool. Its typically a problem with the older versions.

http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

I don't know the last time any of you used Outlook, but they have made wondrous improvements in security. I like v2007 alot. Oh and yes people use it, Outlook/Exchange has about a 55% market share and it has been growing at a rate of about 14-17% for the past several years, so....

Interesting stats, however keeping valuable data on your computer is just a bad idea. That's one of my major issues with Outlook. Cloud computing for FTW. Thats the hope anyways. That all your content will be on the web and you could access anything you want from any computer. So you have the exact same experience no matter what hardware you are on.

battle

• PGP
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2009, 01:13:19 AM »
Hm, what do you think about Avast? Would it be good enough?

AsThor

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2009, 08:56:06 AM »
Kaspersky ftw

zimtstern

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2009, 09:13:36 AM »
Firefox+Noscript
+Disabled Avg

idias

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2009, 10:31:09 AM »

MaX_OwnAge

• PGP
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2009, 06:36:52 PM »
Interesting stats, however keeping valuable data on your computer is just a bad idea. That's one of my major issues with Outlook. Cloud computing for FTW. Thats the hope anyways. That all your content will be on the web and you could access anything you want from any computer. So you have the exact same experience no matter what hardware you are on.

Notice that my stats included exchange server. I agree that keeping important data on a single computer is a no-no. I don;t recommend using Outlook in single user mode (pst files). That is why i employ the use of Microsoft exchange server. It runs on actual server hardware, is backed up nightly, and is also accessible from anywhere. :-)

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2009, 05:29:50 PM »
I don't like AVG. It picked up very few things during the year that I ran it, and some files which I knew were malicious got through. Avira, on the other hand, had plenty of false positives.

If you're going to buy an AV, I'd recommend NOD32 or Kaspersky.

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2009, 08:59:02 PM »
Just don't be stupid.  Don't download things from shady looking sites or programs like limewire.  I don't use an AV.  I run ad aware like once a month, if even.  Computer runs perfectly.