Author Topic: new map: Champion (first Beta)  (Read 8634 times)

SubZero

• PGP
Re: new map: Champion (first Beta)
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2009, 12:17:56 AM »
thx for the advice but do you have anything else in mind should i add something change something i really don't know where to go from here it's my first legit map

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2009, 12:45:50 AM »
Fix everything on the list I gave you and make that the 3rd beta. Then from there, we'll all try to help you out some more.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2009, 07:57:31 PM »
You need to fix the leak.  This map should not be put on servers until that's fixed.

Other issues/suggestions:
- The archways are super thin and don't quite line up with the walls.
- Several lips and edges could use clip brushes.
- You should put a ladder to the top.  The fact that you have to climb up the face of the flag isn't very intuitive.
- Ceiling entrance is probably the coolest looking part of the map, but also probably the last seen.  Maybe make it visible from below as well?
- There is some brush overlap on the railings around the flag.

SubZero

• PGP
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2009, 06:23:13 PM »
k thx jitspoe and a leak is just when the map is open?
i.e. light could escape from the map, if this is what is happening can't i put a giant box around the entire map?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 11:39:04 PM by SubZero »

SubZero

• PGP
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2009, 12:10:12 AM »
okay here's the beta 3 these are the things i have changed...

- the railings look alot better and u can now use them to get to the roof
-the tunnels are thicker
-the ramp to the ice path has been clipped and i added more detail
-the 6 lights by the flag have been replaced with 4 tiny ones
- the bridge ledfe has been clipped
- a ladder has been put in instead of the flag that was there
- and plz tell me if there is a leak if u would like to help me out i will understand 100 times better if u can tell me after ive given u the map file, just ask for it
- and finally tell me for any new features and or tweaks you would like to see

thanks, SubZero

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2009, 09:30:38 AM »
Well, no matter where you are in the map, the entire thing is drawn, so there IS a leak. It's also terribly dark in a few areas, another sign of having a leak. Send me the .map file, I'll try to help you out.

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2009, 10:08:07 AM »
Go to: File -> Leak Check -> Load (.pts) -> Choose the current version of your map.

Then do: Group -> Omit World    and then search for the yellow line, once you have found it, do: Group -> Omit World again and follow it until you find the hole where you're map isn't closed off. Also remember to check the compiler each time and check for ***************Leaked****************

SubZero

• PGP
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2009, 01:18:54 PM »
okay music here's my map file. im also gona try rimini's idea and try to fix it myself so get back to me when u have figured it out.

EDIT: Rimini when i went to file leak check and load(.pts) it said load (.por) and nothing showed up when i was in my map folder also when i go to load leak file it crashes my BSP help plz?

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2009, 06:41:36 PM »
Fixed the leak, as well as detailed all the wooden posts, barrels and a few other stuff. Now, your map should compile much more quickly.

Because of the leak fix, the map is now a lot brighter, too bright in some areas. I also fixed those ladder walls that were still there, beside the archways outside the base.

You might want to edit the brightness of the lighting (_sun_value). It's way too bright inside the bases.
Also, you have an error inside the .map that I didn't spend time trying to find. It's a trigger_push error. I think you have 2 sets of them in the same place, but one of them has a wrong targetname or something. Check it out and try to fix it.

SubZero

• PGP
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2009, 09:14:19 PM »
okay thanks music very big help ill get to fixing it thanks again just to avoid confustion the _sun_value will go under worldspawn and have a low number right?

SubZero

• PGP
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2009, 10:16:39 PM »
okay i belive i have the lighting so it looks good there are no leaks thanks to music and the mid has been changed a tiny bit so that there isn't akward mogles

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2009, 07:12:20 AM »
Looks tons better. There's only one thing. The ground of the little area under the flag looks weird. You should try to use the texture that changes from grass to mud/dirt. (Shown below)

T3RR0R15T

• Autococker
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2009, 07:51:12 AM »
Beta 4 is online at [OTB] Beta (IP: 92.51.145.48:22222).

SubZero

• PGP
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2009, 09:20:25 AM »
yeah i figured that would be a problem too i had it changed before so that it did to that and the transfer grass was a diffrent color should i still put it in?

and i love the textues you have where u get em  ;D

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2009, 10:31:15 AM »
Musickid999, why don't you tell him what you did to fix the leak. Otherwise, everytime he gets a leak he will have to come here and get someone to do it for him.

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2009, 12:40:06 PM »
(You can just call me Musik btw, seems a bit weird hearing people call me Musickid999)
Sorry, forgot about that. The leak was inside the blue side ice tunnel, closer to the mid. Because your roof wasn't properly aligned to the grid, you had one side just a bit short of the wall, creating a small, triangular gap that you couldn't see because of the darkness. I merely editted that roof brush so that it reached the wall. Make sure the next time you create a map, try your best to follow the grid.

SubZero

• PGP
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2009, 12:43:50 PM »
OH DAM i knew it!!!! i was looking frantically at that spot but instead of looking at the roof i was looking at the floor well anyways can u please tell me where u downloaded the textures u have music, or at least what they are called

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2009, 01:17:36 PM »
My textures? They're in the HR4 pack.

SubZero

• PGP
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2009, 05:49:06 PM »
okay i am all done what i think is the final version of this map but i need some advice i might take the flag cap spot and put it up on a box what i mean to say is you will have to dj to it if your not useing the roof or ice tunnel to cap

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2009, 06:03:28 PM »
Can't really get opinions unless you show screenshots of it.