Author Topic: Fascination with Macs?  (Read 7312 times)

Br55HiT

• 68 Carbine
Fascination with Macs?
« on: August 25, 2009, 05:17:06 PM »
I don't get what's so great about Macs.  They are amazing at making you either buy everything from them or pay a ton of money to get adapters for everything.  I just don't see the point in paying almost twice the price for a Mac when a PC with the same specs is much cheaper.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Re: Fascination with Macs?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 05:23:47 PM »
Macs:

1. Have quite a good selection of art/design software.
2. Are easy to use, for people like artists/designers.
3. Are 'trendy' and pretentious, like artists/designers.

For anyone else, a PC will do just fine, if not a lot better.

</yearsOldArgument>

Br55HiT

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 06:47:39 PM »
But even with the software for them there is almost always a copy made for PC's.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 09:41:57 PM »
But Macs are different.  They look different, they feel different, they work (slightly) different.

Aside from that, there is a program or two that does not have a Windows equivalent.  Or at least, not one that works well enough.  But like ViciouZ stated, its a "designer" computer.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 09:44:00 PM »
They are convenient for business/school settings, seeing as all you have is a keyboard, mouse, and monitor.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 09:52:01 PM »
I just trust them not to crash, as I've only crashed one once, out of the countless times using them, where my Windows box crashes almost 5 minutes after starting up.

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 10:46:11 PM »
Mac's are for designers because designers are too lazy to deal with the "computer" part of it. They want a one click button when they don't need all the freedom of a PC.  In my senior classes only 3 of us used pc laptops, all the rest used Mac's. There's no difference in any of the programs, its just Mac's are advertised as the "dummed down" version for ppl who don't understand computers as well.

They claim Mac's aren't able to be hacked, its only because no hackers use Mac's... lol

Br55HiT

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 01:15:49 AM »
Exactly Justinph5 not enough people use Mac's to hack them.  Once more people use them I'm sure they will become a target and will get viruses just like PC's.

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 02:53:05 AM »
 It has something to do with Macgyver

Fuzz Ball

• VM-68
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 03:35:37 AM »
Macs are basically for people who don't know much abotu their PC. You don't get any of the minor problems the PCs get, but if something big comes up, Macs don't really know how to deal with it.

Exactly Justinph5 not enough people use Mac's to hack them.  Once more people use them I'm sure they will become a target and will get viruses just like PC's.

Only something like 2% of computer users worldwide are Mac users. The rest is PC. So why would a hacker/ virus maker target 2% when he can go for 98%?

fasian

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 03:49:28 AM »
Only something like 2% of computer users worldwide are Mac users.
Number will increase very fast. Now in my school having a macbook is compulsory.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 04:58:07 AM »
Number will increase very fast. Now in my school having a macbook is compulsory.
Our school is getting Macs as well.  They are getting sick of the crappy machines they have right now, and they say it'll stop us from playing games.  Yeh, right.

Oh and I'm still wondering why the 'Enable Root User' function is completely buried under some other random application?

paintwaster

• PGP
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 05:42:45 AM »
macs are like immune to almost every virus and are very fast so thats a thousand steps above regular PC's

Fuzz Ball

• VM-68
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 06:05:31 AM »
macs are like immune to almost every virus and are very fast so thats a thousand steps above regular PC's

Like I said, there are very few viruses. The reason why they're immune is that Macs ask you whether you wanna install any new program coming onto your PC. So I guess it makes them mostly immune. The user might still say yes to a virus.

Our school is getting Macs as well.  They are getting sick of the crappy machines they have right now

The machines at my school suck pretty bad too (some are good, some are really bad). But buying macs are $200-300 more than PCs, so I don't see how they 'save' money.

Br55HiT

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 01:59:38 PM »
I just don't get how people buy them when the prices are so jacked up.  I just saw a new iMac on their site that's a 2.96 Ghz core 2 duo, 4 GB ram, 640 GB HD, GeForce 120 GT 256MB video ram for like $1,799.  Core 2 duo in a 2009 machine LMAO, especially under 3 GHz.  You're paying almost $2k for basically obsolete hardware.  The desktop I built is 2 years old this summer and would blow the doors off that mac and only cost $1,500 including monitor keyboard ect.  I guess the people that buy them really don't know that they are getting ripped off.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2009, 03:44:46 PM »
Oh and I'm still wondering why the 'Enable Root User' function is completely buried under some other random application?

Because you can really wreak some havoc logged in as root if you don't know what you are doing.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2009, 08:56:00 PM »
Macs:

1. Have a smaller selection of art/design software than PC's
2. Are more difficult to use, because you have only one mouse button, so have to use all sorts of key/mouse combinations or additional steps.
3. Are 'trendy' and pretentious, like artists/designers..... ok, I'll give you that one.
fix'd. :)

I was subjected to macs in a highschool programming class and at an internship.  Miserable experiences.  Granted, macs have progressed since then, but it was so tedious to work on them.  The PC software equivalents were much more streamlined.  I could probably work in something like photoshop twice as fast on a PC, so none of those arguments for macs made sense to me.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2009, 06:17:38 PM »
One huge reason Macs are more stable is because Apple has complete control over what hardware goes into their computers. If you buy a cheap off-the-shelf PC you might be getting some really, really crappy stuff in there... I know personally, my computer (which I build myself) hasn't had one single crash since I got rid of the old, crappy network adapter I was using for it. On the other hand, I've seen/fixed/worked on several 'budget' computers that are just built with the cheapest parts possible. RAM failure, disk failures, inexplicable crashes... if you buy good parts, you're going to probably save more money in the long run than if you buy something cheap and crappy. :P

Of course, my 'expensive high-end' computer still costs about half of what comparable Macs cost... go figure. :)

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2009, 07:01:23 PM »
Because you can really wreak some havoc logged in as root if you don't know what you are doing.
Eh, true.  But the thing was I couldn't change the permissions to set the timezone.  The whole thing seemed to be messed up as only root had permissions to do it.

e4g1e

• PGP
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2009, 04:42:41 AM »
I have a core 2 duo Imac 2gb of ram, NEVER CRASHED but other then that its pretty crap, my family uses it because its user friendly, Pssh who needs user friendly when u can have a blue screen. i <3 my PC