Author Topic: PC -> Media Center  (Read 1392 times)

nopyo

• 68 Carbine
PC -> Media Center
« on: August 28, 2009, 07:08:18 PM »
I recently got a hold of an unwanted PC and hooked it up to my TV to use as a media center for movies and music. It works quite nicely but I want to make it look better.

So, does anyone know of any freeware that will spice up the looks beyond just browsing through files using Windows Explorer?

I'm looking for programs that will organize media and display them like how Windows XP: Media Center Edition displays media; in other words, having the Media Center Edition look without running the actual OS.

The computer runs on a Pentium 4, 512MB RAM, 80GB HDD, and most likely an integrated graphics card. I haven't setup internet access yet, so I'd prefer programs that do not require internet access to use.

Thanks in advance.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
Re: PC -> Media Center
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 12:37:04 AM »
Well, if you pop a TV card in it and feel like messing around with Linux, check out Mythbuntu.  If not, check out Moovida (aka "elisa", on Linux anyway).

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 01:01:54 AM »
Yeah, get a TV Tuner card.  They have one of these computers set up at school with 4 tuners in it running a program called Fusion HDTV.  It seems to work just fine, records HD, obviously and seems to record in a form of mpeg.  Previously it had Mythbuntu on it, but we gave up on it because it didn't give us files to put on a USB and convert, etc.

nopyo

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 10:24:07 AM »
Well, my TV is already hooked up to my cable service so I doubt I'll be getting a TV card for the computer.

Moovida looks nice. I'll give that a try.

nopyo

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 06:22:27 PM »
Moovida is SWEET. It's everything I wanted, and then some :D Thanks Zorch.

Oh, and hey fasian, I don't know if I knew you from somewhere, but Hi anyways :)

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 03:27:28 AM »
fasian is sherman

fasian

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 05:17:26 AM »

nopyo

• 68 Carbine