Author Topic: xMapCom Results  (Read 5213 times)

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
xMapCom Results
« on: September 01, 2009, 05:32:01 AM »
This is the results from the long conversation Rick and I have had on vent tonight.  We had to make up our own little criteria, so it may sound a little excrement, cos we couldn't exactly think what to put in it and what under, etc, so just bear with us :P.

Criteria

• Groups/Detail - Use of grouping, use of detail to make it look good, etc.
  • Correct BSP Procedures - No overlapping brushes, no leaks, clip brushes in places where players may get caught, texture misalignment, use of the grid, brushes misplaced.
  • Other - Specified in the paragraph about each map.

Results for each map are written under the respective header.

Cold War City - Viciouz and Cusoman

Firstly, to comment on the first part of the criteria.  Grouping was used on the mapmap, the groups were specific which can make it easy to recognise which brushes are there for what reason, etc.  The detail on the map looked a little bit standard, except those rockets were brilliantly made.  The rain added another effect to the center, giving it the feel that it was underground like in a cave, falling on the rock beneath it.

Positives on BSP Procedures

• Minimal overlapping brushes
  • Map does not leak
  • Grid has been used for its purpose
  • Clip brushes have been used, although Rick decided to be a little ridiculous and try and find places where he could get stuck, and found a couple, but you would have to purposely jump there to get stuck.

Negatives on BSP Procedures

• A couple of semi-obvious misaligned textures noticed
  • A couple of the places through the caves seem plain texture wise, could've been brightened up just a little bit.

A few little last things... Great use of custom textures and sounds, we also noticed a script for the map, showing excellent use of special effects in the map.  The rock in the middle looks like a brush with rounded off edges, doesn't look nice, also we noticed that near the 'Red Sector Storage' sign that you see coming out of the cave, one of the brushes on the roof of the cave just suddenly ends, and doesn't look like it should actually be there.  You have also used creative indicators, even though they may take a while to learn, they are there, and they are different, which makes them cool :P.

Results based on Criteria

• Groups/Detail - 7/10
  • Correct BSP Procedures - 8/10
  • Other - 9/10

Overall, great effort guys :).

Total Result - 24/30

Lands of Grief and Regret - JeeJee and blaa

The detail on the map is just outstanding.  We love those laterns with the fire flame, just looks magnificent.  We did notice a couple of things, we saw a couple of plants underground.  I don't think that plants can live underground, not that what I have seen, because soil only goes so far deep, and then it is just rock.  Map has been grouped as well, good effort there.

• Overlapping brushes is at a minimum
  • Map does not leak
  • Clip brushes have been used, just not in some specific places.
  • Texture choice was great.

• Map indicators would've been nice to put around the map, even though its not a specific thing that is done in every map, in a large map, you should definitely put indicators in showing which way to the flag, etc.

Again, this is where we will vote you down.  Why must nearly every map have a 2nd flag that is accessable by more advanced paths which are alot quicker than taking a long path to the flag?  If a newbie goes to 2nd then 1st, fair enough, its straight forward.  But if they go to 1st straight away, and then try to go to second, they get left behind with one flag, where more experienced players can get it straight away.  The brightness in the center of the map is a little too dark for people like me with crappy monitors.  I could barely see Rick, and even though this is a gameplay issue, it should be addressed, as when I bump up the brightness, it looks horrible in other places in the map.  Just a minor thing, there seems to be just a few to many lights in some places, making it look just a little on the unrealistic side.

• Groups/Detail - 9/10
  • Correct BSP Procedures - 8/10
  • Other - 6/10

Well done on this map.

Total Result - 23/30

Passageway To Hell  - Musik

The detail on the map is great in mid with the added lava texture.  The rest of the map though seems a little dull texture wise, the detail just doesn't match up to the other maps seen in this contest.  The map seems to be a little bit rushed to complete the first beta, as we have found multiple misplaced brushes and misaligned textures.  Grouping is also simple, but is in place for the map.

• Map does not leak
  • Clip brushes have been used.
  • Texture choice was alright.

• Map indicators again, please use them.  They help new people to the map, as Rick and I found it quite difficult to navigate the map.
  • Brushes seemed to be overlapping a lot
  • More of a Gameplay issue, but we figured it was a Mapping one as well, the lava is not a great idea in a match map as one has a flag, the other can go to the lava and eliminate himself, where it will be 3 points instead of the value of the flag.
  • Many misaligned textures, too many to comment on, and brushes have been misaligned, and some just dont look great at all and stand out majorly.  Also, on the 2nd part of the speed jump, the pole holding it up comes through out the top of the metal plate which you jump off, on the yellow side, due to what is explained below.

To continue on about the speed jump, its too hard.  Its almost impossible, the angle of the first jump is too minimal to pick up enough air to get to the second part of the speed jump (referring to the one when you exit the flag room).  The map itself looks too plain in places.  Texture choices need to be made first so that every place has its own significance, not just the same texture.  We also noticed that you must've made the blue side first due to the fact that the Blue side seems to have way less problems with it than the yellow side does.  You must've duplicated it, rotated it in places, etc and didn't go back to fix little minor or major errors.

One last thing, the lava rooms, not mid, the other ones, the lava doesn't work.  You fall and you are stuck.  There are many more things to comment on but we just can't fit them in this quick comment about the map.

• Groups/Detail - 6/10
  • Correct BSP Procedures - 5/10
  • Other - 6/10

Well done.

Total Result - 17/30

Overall Results

• Viciouz and Cusoman - 24/30
  • JeeJee and Blaa - 23/30
  • Musik - 17/30

Congratulations Viciouz and Cusoman for winning the mapping part of this contest.

sidenote: phew, thats done :) i wrote that all, rick was a lazy a$$hole ;)

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Re: xMapCom Results
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 05:34:42 AM »
I'm a lazy bastard, BUT we went through the .map finding things and we both worked out our results.

So infact, I was not as lazy as I could have been.

fasian

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 06:23:53 AM »
2 epic fail judges. :)

Congratz viciouz and cusoman.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 06:50:23 AM »
We'll see, the gameplay judges have yet to report.
 :D

Dave

• VM-68
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 07:15:13 AM »
nice maps kiddies

pheeks

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 01:22:53 PM »
Congrats Viciouz and Cuso :)

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 03:13:17 PM »
This is just for the Technique part of the judging though isn't it?  I sent my judging thing to musickkid.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 03:25:14 PM »
Yes, thats why I said for the 'mapping' part of the contest.

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 12:53:30 AM »
Congrats guys on the great contest and next to perfect maps.
Looking forward to the next contest where I may enter if I have some spare time off work.

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 08:49:41 AM »
Here are the judging results from SuperMan for the Gameplay aspect of the entries.

==============================================

Lands of Grief and Regret (by JeeJee and blaa)

Gameplay 7/10

Thoughts:  I thought the mid was a bit too small, most of the fighting
           is done in small hallways.  There was a good flow to the map
           though.  A few double jumps here or there, nothing too complicated.
      Overall I enjoyed playing this map.  

Passageway to Hell (by Musik)

Gameplay 6/10

Thoughts:  First of all what I noticed was that the lengths of the paths is kind of
      off.  If you run straight after you spawn, into the main part of the base
           you go down a long hallway just to get up a little higher in the middle.
      Once people got the hang of the map most would just take a quick right
      as soon as they spawned, almost eliminating the use of the big main part
      of the base.  Also I'm not sure if this map was supposed to be played with
      a mid flag and a base flag, but there is always a problem with big tradefests
           when there is a mid flag.  There were a few difficult, and a few easy jumps.
      Overall I thought that this map could use a bit of work, but was a fun map to
      play.

Cold War City (by ViciouZ and Cusoman)

Gameplay 9/10

Thoughts:  I think this definitely had the best gameplay of all the maps.  There
      is a nice big middle where it is possible to gain abit of speed.  Very
      simple for new players to learn. Not too many jumps, but you can speed
      through the middle.  One problem with this map is that after a while it
      got a little boring.  This map also takes almost all 20 minutes.  I wouldn't
      mind a second flag in this map.  But overall this was the map with the best flow
      in my opinion.  I know I'm not supposed to judge anything but the gameplay but,
      One other problem was that that sound about evacuating that plays every 30 seconds
           it seems like.  It gets ANNOYING!!  I like the sound, but have it play less than
      half as much.
================================================

Averaging out the scores, here are the final results:
JeeJee and blaa - Lands of Grief and Regret = 73.5%
Musik - Passageway to Hell = 58.5% (i passed!)
ViciouZ and Cusoman - Cold War City = 85%

With quite a large margin, the winners of xMAPCOM Summer 2009 are ViciouZ and Cusoman, with their map "Cold War City"!

Congratulations and thanks to all the contestants! We hope you had a great time mapping for the contest! Look out for details on the next one!

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 11:50:56 AM »
YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Oh and superman, I kept turning that down, it's every 90 seconds or so atm I think - might make that 180 seconds so it plays every 3 minutes.

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2009, 12:03:50 PM »
Gratz to winners. Hopefully there will be more entries finished next time :)

Fuzz Ball

• VM-68
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 06:23:46 AM »
Are you going to re-patch up the maps? Because from the sounds of things some of them have potential but are unfinished.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 06:51:58 AM »
The next xMapCom shouldn't start before this maps are finished. Or is it a xBetaMapCom ?

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2009, 07:39:34 AM »
Yep, you could call it that, lol. But I don't think we'll be starting the next contest until October.

wizzi

• VM-68
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2009, 10:16:44 AM »
good job guys :)

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2009, 10:51:32 AM »
nice results.

vague312

• VM-68
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2009, 11:07:30 PM »
congrats guys.

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2009, 10:56:47 AM »
so musik, is there going to be any new changes to this competition with the first contest round over, or are we still beta testing this competition?