Author Topic: [Feature] CO2 escaping from gun after any shot  (Read 7200 times)

rafalluz

• VM-68
[Feature] CO2 escaping from gun after any shot
« on: September 04, 2009, 12:38:26 PM »
I know there are more important things to implement now (in-game server browser anyone?) But how about a little visual effect of gas escaping from the barrel after every shot? Maybe even during cartridge change - not from barrel but from the back of the gun. Just to make game look a little cooler/more realistic.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 01:04:11 PM by rafalluz »

blaa

• Autococker
Re: [Feature] CO2 escaping from gun after any shot
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 12:56:26 PM »
 Just a graphical thing?

rafalluz

• VM-68
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 12:59:45 PM »
Yes, a graphical thing.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 06:46:23 PM »
If I had CO2 coming out of my barrel, I'd really have issues! I use CA :p

SubZero

• PGP
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 11:01:44 PM »
lol yeah i belive he was refering to the smoke but anyways HPA is alot better then CO2

Fuzz Ball

• VM-68
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 12:23:11 AM »
By CO2 how much do you mean? Because even a small amount might obscure the view of the shooter, especially if he's got a Autococker or Automag.

Maybe even during cartridge change - not from barrel but from the back of the gun.

As far as I know, paintballs never ever release cartridges...

SubZero

• PGP
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 12:33:53 AM »
he means the when the tank is being switched
cause you tend to lose HPA or CO2 when screwing off the tank

rafalluz

• VM-68
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 03:53:42 AM »
You mean other gases? Oh yeah, though I see CO2 written in game anywhere so I refer to it as such. Oh well, I see you know what I mean anyway :E

By CO2 how much do you mean? Because even a small amount might obscure the view of the shooter, especially if he's got a Autococker or Automag.

Nobody is complaining about muzzle flash obscuring the view in other games as far as I can tell. Of course it won't be covering 3/4 of the screen. Some transparency could be used though. I haven't found it to be big on most fast firing markers I've seen either, possibly larger on slower ones.

he means the when the tank is being switched
cause you tend to lose HPA or CO2 when screwing off the tank

Yep, some gas always escapes while you change the cartridge. It's secondary idea though.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 08:04:04 PM »
CO2 from the barrel is called Blowing Snowballs.  It typically happens when you suck liquid CO2 in your gun OR play in a VERY cold environment.

Sorry but -1 on this.

SubZero

• PGP
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 08:22:13 PM »
Knack were talking about the smoke not liquid co2 leaving the gun why would you ever want that you would fry the board kill the internals on your gun and so on anyways he's just asking for a little puff of smoke to leave the end of the barrel when fireing to add some realism

Bono

• VM-68
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 06:22:34 AM »
+1 for this idea.. :)

Fuzz Ball

• VM-68
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 07:43:51 AM »
Knack were talking about the smoke not liquid co2 leaving the gun why would you ever want that you would fry the board kill the internals on your gun and so on anyways he's just asking for a little puff of smoke to leave the end of the barrel when fireing to add some realism

Science: The CO2 'smoke' is vapour. And vapour is liquid.
The liquid will only turn from gas to liquid in VERY cold environments, as Knack said.
Smoke comes from gunpowder, not CO2.

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 08:10:14 AM »
Why not vote for better overall graphic improvements than little detailed things like this? It'd look crappy if we had fine detailed things like this in the game, while the rest of the game still looked crappy.

rafalluz

• VM-68
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 10:49:33 AM »
GUYS. You're killing me. Am I that unclear?

Yf you have any doubts to what I mean, please watch this clip (or any paintball clip where gun is fired - here it's just quite visible), about 0:20 he starts firing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3p4qTAJxD4

During gas expansion occurring  after every shoot some gas escaping the barrel is still visible as it didn't have enough time/place to expand to the fullest. It has nothing to do with being extremely cold (it may be more pronounced in colder temperatures though) out there nor it is produced from gunpowder. It's simple physical transition from higher to lower pressure...

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 02:18:22 PM »
That is  an exception, not the rule, as far as CO2 gassing out the front of the barrel. Nice RT though.

Fuzz Ball

• VM-68
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2009, 05:44:09 AM »
Why not vote for better overall graphic improvements than little detailed things like this? It'd look crappy if we had fine detailed things like this in the game, while the rest of the game still looked crappy.

Agreed. But its been mentioned before several times, and no result.

It would look just weird for some high-graphics CO2 to come out of a barrel when you have some graphics that aren't detailed that only have a few colours.

rafalluz

• VM-68
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2009, 04:20:30 PM »
In Quake 2 engine it would still be possible anyway. Plus I didn't say a word about general graphics improvements, probably impossible without engine change.

It's one thing to add polish to the game without drastic changes in engine, therefore in graphics, therefore in requirements. It's another when you ask for improving graphics quality altogether (more detailed polygons, higher res textures, engine able to handle that all). My idea is the former and definitely doable without necessarily changing game engine.

That is  an exception, not the rule, as far as CO2 gassing out the front of the barrel.

If it has the backup in basic physics of how it works and can be seen on virtually any pb firing clip AND me and my friends experienced it first hand to nobody's surprise, then it's not what I call exception.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 06:12:00 AM by rafalluz »

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2009, 12:50:38 PM »
If it has the backup in basic physics of how it works and can be seen on virtually any pb firing clip AND me and my friends experienced it first hand to nobody's surprise, then it's not what I call exception.
Modern pbguns are built to dissipate the "visual co2" before it comes out of the end of the barrel anyways. Whenever I played with friends, the only time we would get co2 bursts is when our guns would freeze up.

p.s. I wouldn't worry about trying to make the game look more "realistic." Running at 80 mph and jumping 20 feet in the air kinda ruin that idea for the game....  :P

wizzi

• VM-68
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2009, 01:06:41 PM »
And also to make the game more realistic....

you would need to get all textures to include real things.

But +1 for the whole smoke comin out the gun.

zimtstern

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2009, 01:39:11 PM »
And also to make the game more realistic....

you would need to get all textures to include real things.

But +1 for the whole smoke comin out the gun.

Ye it s good for ppl who can`t aim anyway..
Ever thought about the view?