Author Topic: Excel help  (Read 2639 times)

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
Excel help
« on: September 09, 2009, 03:42:29 AM »
Here's the problem:

I have a worksheet containing several customers. Already calculated are about 80 product prices reduced with conditions.

What I have to do: I have to make a new worksheet where person viewing it will have an option to pick one main customer which will than be base (let say you will pick customer from drop down list and than all product prices will appear bellow and that will be the base) and two to ten more which will, after selecting wanted ones, be compared with that base customer.

Practically it's easy, all I need to have is - i select one customer - his prices appears bellow, i select other customers - his prices appears bellow but with formula -> selected customer prices divided with base customer prices (for instance C2/A1) to get difference in pp.

I'm good with excel, but I'm not good with macros (I don't know if I need to assign macro to drop down list button or on whole column) so if anybody has any know how on this subject please put in your thoughts.

Another option is to make a base in Access. And I haven't make anything in Access so far so maybe this will be my first try if excel macro is to big of a hassle :)

Thanks in advance.

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
Re: Excel help
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 07:31:50 AM »
Something new dropped on my mind.

Would it be easier to do it with pivot table? Is it possible?

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 10:15:39 AM »
Hm, a pivot table with two columns each for the customers and prices?   Then [customer prices 2]/[customer prices 1] on the pivot table?    It should be able to work with just 1 column for the customers and prices, so you could try that first, but my first explanation should work good.

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 01:48:27 AM »
Yeah, I was trying that yesterday but can't calculate index between base and comparing customer (customer 2/customer base). 

So far as I saw you can only calculate some basic formulas in pivot (sum, avrg, count...). I saw that there is calculating options on cell reference but don't know how to put formula there. I mean I could't order pivot to calculate index...

Rocky

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 10:30:10 AM »
*we love what kills us [zimtstern] sanoo:
lol who uses excel? which motherintercoursein bundle of twigs roostersucker uses.. microsoft excel?

banned - see ya in 7
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 10:42:18 AM by KnacK »

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 10:43:28 AM »
true. Gosh I can't remember now of how we've done it at work before. I know we used drop-down lists where you select the name, then their info comes up, and you can function between those different cells. I believe we had to put the names and info on a different sheet, then build all of it together in a separate sheet.

Access is pretty easy to get familiar with, I just don't know how it would handle equations between two clients.

Rocky

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 10:46:09 AM »
lol why would u ban me?

Rocky

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 10:47:30 AM »
just.. get some sence of humor knack.. its only dplogin.com nothing more...

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 10:49:03 AM »
rocky, quit being immature in threads and pm him if you want to ask him questions.

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 11:50:14 PM »
true. Gosh I can't remember now of how we've done it at work before. I know we used drop-down lists where you select the name, then their info comes up, and you can function between those different cells. I believe we had to put the names and info on a different sheet, then build all of it together in a separate sheet.

Access is pretty easy to get familiar with, I just don't know how it would handle equations between two clients.

That's exactly what I need... If you remember how have you done it it would be great. My deadline expires on Wednesday, so I see a working weekend ahead...

Edit: Access is great, but I don't believe you can make this kind of calculation in it.

wizzi

• VM-68
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 11:56:25 AM »
yeah id use access aswell to be honest..like the dropdown and things.. just saying =p

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2009, 02:19:36 AM »
As I already said - Access can't calculate this.

wizzi

• VM-68
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2009, 06:19:22 PM »
You can calculate in excel then add all the details into access and stuff

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2009, 02:24:45 AM »
So I should do it in excell, and than again in access. I can't see a point in doubling my work.

wizzi

• VM-68
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2009, 05:36:50 AM »
its not doubling...if you were to calculate all of your mathematic stuff in excell, then put all the details into access all you would have to do is search for the specific details. if you calculate in exel you only have to enter the stuff in access

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2009, 01:44:59 AM »
Solved.