Author Topic: New Map: Barrens DM  (Read 6852 times)

Laged

• 68 Carbine
New Map: Barrens DM
« on: October 08, 2009, 07:24:06 AM »
Hi guys, this is the first map I decided to finish and publish, it's a fairly large DM map, as the title says. The  wpoly count is 1100~ at it's worst, I didn't feel the need to use hint brushes. (Actually I'm not sure if I can do it properly, I'd be glad if someone would help me out doing it if it's needed.)

Attaching barrens_b1.bsp and some screenshots.

EDIT: wow, the attached screenshots were huge, I'll repuload them in a second.

EDIT2: Ok, here they are, smaller this time.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 04:57:26 PM by Laged »

_burnt

• Autococker
Re: New Map: Barrens DM
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 08:21:00 AM »
Looking good. Somethings i'd like to point out:
-all barrels being red gives red colored players advance. Easy to fix by making colors random.
-in the torch cave, red and yellow look like orange. Not big issue in normal DM, but in TDM it'll be more of a problem but still not a big one.
-remove some clutter and add few little humps. Makes the gameplay more interesting.
-mid cave is bit dark, maybe add additional lights but it's not a big deal (attached sshot)

Laged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 08:34:22 AM »
Will fix those things you pointed out, I hope someone tells me to fix something else too, would be a bother to release a _b2 only for such small things.

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 09:27:43 AM »
Looks very nice. My only concern is the fact that its a DM  map. DM maps dont get played much, which is a shame
I'm sure it'll find a spot on lawl:] deathmatch though

Laged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 09:53:36 AM »
I chose to make a DM map since I personally enjoy DM maps the most in pubs and can't really get any good ideas for CTF maps, which are of course better in scrims. There should be more DM maps, I don't see the problem in me making one.

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 09:56:30 AM »
Sorry, I worded my post wrong. I'm not saying there is a problem with you making this map. It looks awesome.
I'm just saying your map may not be used in matches, tournaments and other stuff.
It's a great map, looks amazing. I was just saying it may not be used all the time in every pub, and stuff.

Laged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 11:05:28 AM »
-remove some clutter and add few little humps. Makes the gameplay more interesting.

I understand that as making the gameplay faster with strafejumps, rather than a slow gameplay where you take cover behind the clutter. For example here:

Do you think it'd be better with some kind of humps instead of boxes? IMO it's a lot harder to take cover behind humps. Sure, it would make it easier to escape if someone is chasing you but is that the point of a DM map? Or did I just misunderstand what you meant by removing clutter and adding humps? I can't really imagine the gameplay with 12+ players and fast jumps in such small space. Could you give me some examples of where the humps would be better instead of clutter?

Also, I changed some barrels' color to purple/yellow/blue, should be more balanced now. I added two small lights to the middle tunnel, as well. Do you think it's too bright now?

Thanks for the feedback, waiting for more.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 11:20:53 AM »
I don't think he meant to put the humps in the same place as the removed clutter - for example on the first screenshot in the above post, if some crates were removed and the steps were changed to a ramp, gameplay could be faster. But yeah, just add some terrain, and maybe wall features :)

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 11:32:37 AM »
Ok, i will make my self bit more clear. Your first screenshot is good example: lots of boxes, few are unnecessary. You think you can go from between, but the hole is just too small and you can go from there and you have to go around them. It often starts to annoy (atleast it annoys me :p) and when you suddenly get stop between the boxes and you thought you could go between, it makes you more vulnerable. It takes your concentration away and you can get shot. so, take few boxes of for more space to strafe/jump. Keep it so you can't strafe non-stop around the map, but you still can take some speed.

For hump, rocks, ramps whatever you want to make. I mainly meant that they are there for you to pick speed and get over some clutter. They dont need to be 45° ramps, where you fly to the top of the map, just some small ones. Also if you get stuck in 1v1 situation, they come more interesting when you can avoid shots by taking a jump from a ramp or dj from a small crate.

Laged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 11:38:47 AM »
Ok, I understand what you meant better now, I'll try work on it.

I was intending to add more stuff to the walls but I though I might just post the _b1 on the forums before doing something like that since I figured I would be told to change some stuff, maybe even a whole route.

Thanks for the good feedback, keep it coming.

Gamabunta

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 02:09:46 PM »
Why not change all barrels' colour to white/pink? These are always placed in mid area on most of 1-flag maps, they give much less advantage.
Other than that, I think map looks great for DM from screenshots.

Laged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 02:43:05 PM »
Well, for now they're in different colors, it doesn't look THAT bad, I'll let it be for now. I'll think the details when I have the rest of the map as I want it to be, currently working on making the gameplay more dynamic.

wizzi

• VM-68
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2009, 04:19:36 AM »
i thought most of the map was good. but as explained above a bit to much clutter. its a good choice of terrain aswell although in the caves maybe a harder surface instead of sand? just a thought.

ph3n1x

• PGP
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2009, 08:55:22 AM »
ROFL wizzi kid whys u have post in every topic ?

Laged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2009, 10:51:24 AM »
He was giving his opinion on my map. I'd rather read his posts trying to contribute even a little bit than your "ROFL XDXDXD" with no real content at all.

wizzi

• VM-68
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2009, 11:18:32 AM »
i had a valid point to make. i post where i want to i did not know their was a restriction.

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2009, 02:45:12 PM »
Yeah, there is already a forum-troll roster, but you can tryout next year, just make sure at all times you are the last to post in every thread.

Laged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2009, 04:54:11 PM »
Finally I got enough time to work on my map, list of things I tried to fix:

Added some lights to the middle tunnel
Changed barrels to multiple colors
Changed texture in the big tunnel  (didn't really find any texture fitting better, let me know if you have a texture in mind)
Removed some clutter, added some ramps (fallen barrels, sand humps) to make the gameplay a bit more interesting

and yeah, that's it. Didn't add any more details since I might have to remake something, I'll add more eye-candy in the later phases of the map.
Attaching _b2 to the original post.

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2009, 10:16:56 PM »
Screenshot 1: The sand on either side looks really weird. It looks way too solid and rocky.

Screenshot 2,3: No matter what I did, I couldn't figure out how to reach those high spots. Maybe it's just me, but those jumps (with ramps like in Screenshot 1) aren't really working too well.

Props

• PGP
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2009, 04:43:25 AM »
much better