Author Topic: Activity of DigitalPaintball.  (Read 23617 times)

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
Re: Activity of DigitalPaintball.
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2009, 03:54:35 PM »
Abnormal, I must agree with Santander. Have a little icon where you can change your language. But only make 3-5.. English, French, German, Czech and Portuguese?

AsThor

• Autococker
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2009, 04:19:00 PM »
how about writing them in different languages and make some flags at the top of the page to choose

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2009, 04:41:54 PM »
how about writing them in different languages and make some flags at the top of the page to choose

Thats basically what I said.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2009, 04:44:07 PM »
To draw new players, it might help if a lot of the work in build 28/29/30 was consolidation:

1. Making the login system easier to understand for new players
2. Getting rid of the strange video crash bugs and fps anomalies that seem unique to paintball
3. Improvements to the UI and out-of-box experience (including a full hr4 texture set, maybe translations)
4. Culling some old rendering paths for out of date hardware and instead improving performance and stability on modern hardware.

Then, hopefully more players would be drawn and kept, and other features like ranking systems and clan-tags on shirts could be added.

A thought on the login system: if a new user was prompted by a menu with the option "just play" right from the start, and could dropped into one of a set of non-global login servers for beginners, then maybe they could later be tempted into registering for GLS with the added benefits of the other servers and name protection? This way, there are fewer people who download the game, find out they need an account and just give up - it allows for try-before-you-buy in effect.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2009, 04:53:59 PM »

Rewind

• VM-68
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2009, 06:21:45 PM »
ViciouZ's idea = winwinwinwinwinwinwin.

I understand this all is probably a lot for Jitspoe to handle alone however, I'm curious as to why he doesn't have people help him. I know people like Zorch and ViciouZ contribute a great deal to the game, but I'm sure there are probably parts of it they cannot change. I also don't know who would be willing to contribute a chunk of their time to the game to improve it's performance, so it may be useless in the long run.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2009, 06:35:16 PM »
Rewind, alot of people would help but it's who knows how to do alot of the stuff needed to help, aswell as who he trusts to help him.

DuDe

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2009, 06:59:37 PM »
Let It Die.

shep

• VM-68
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2009, 07:07:29 PM »
I agree with Rick and Cameron Attitude. I struggle to go through a match without LMFAO FLUKE ROFL UR BAD. Silly.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2009, 08:31:32 PM »
Pretty much anyone that has photoshop could help making textures; maybe even make a thread where the community could submit textures they have made and be critiqued on them.

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2009, 08:32:21 PM »
Yea guys we really need to find a way to create popularity for the game.

We need to find a way to advertise that the games free and that our community is growing.

Dave

• VM-68
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2009, 06:59:31 AM »
Abnormal, I must agree with Santander. Have a little icon where you can change your language. But only make 3-5.. English, French, German, Czech and Portuguese?
slovak ;) jopez made one http://www.five-points.yw.sk/?page=downloads
he can update it ;)

Dave

• VM-68
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2009, 06:29:50 PM »
and make GameFace like in FIFA 10  ;) ;) ;) :P :-* :-*

fasian

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2009, 03:49:38 AM »
This game isn't as dead as people say it is... Got a great 4v4 on my first day back.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2009, 06:56:26 AM »
To draw new players, it might help if a lot of the work in build 28/29/30 was consolidation:

1. Making the login system easier to understand for new players
2. Getting rid of the strange video crash bugs and fps anomalies that seem unique to paintball
3. Improvements to the UI and out-of-box experience (including a full hr4 texture set, maybe translations)
4. Culling some old rendering paths for out of date hardware and instead improving performance and stability on modern hardware.

Then, hopefully more players would be drawn and kept, and other features like ranking systems and clan-tags on shirts could be added.

A thought on the login system: if a new user was prompted by a menu with the option "just play" right from the start, and could dropped into one of a set of non-global login servers for beginners, then maybe they could later be tempted into registering for GLS with the added benefits of the other servers and name protection? This way, there are fewer people who download the game, find out they need an account and just give up - it allows for try-before-you-buy in effect.

You left out a few items:
1. remove backward compatibility.
2. Have officially sanctioned map map.
3. Have officially sanctioned server configs.

The problem here is, threads like this get started almost every year and nothing happens.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2009, 05:40:52 PM »
Yeah, but see... people are offering to help. It's now up to jitspoe to accept the help if he wants things done. I talked to a few people who know how to code and stuff. He just needs to allow people to help him or let the game keep slowly getting inactive till it finally dies.

Although I was just told 'about this thread and why jitspoe hasn't comeinto it ' This game does not serv any commercial purpose and i'm sure he will be glad when it dies. All it's done is taken a bunch of his time for 11 years.

-Which is something which can be argued. So my question is: Is it worth trying to keep the game alive? Or are you just going to wait it out till it dies.

BTW- A small thought: What if you 'allowed' people to pay their bans off then take the money they pay you and use it to buy add space? I know you don't want to unban people, but you get money and it's one way of advertising.

Mayhem

• Stingray
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2009, 09:19:05 PM »
In my personal opinion the bans killed the game hardcore, a lot of very active players who brought a lot of players into the game have been banned and taken their friends to other games.

Instead of banning people, better hack protection should be worked out so that there isn't so many problems.
Or force players to bring forth the hack by permanently banning them until it is given to jitspoe so he can deal with it making it instantly detectable.

I know this is possible because I play many quake mod type games and this is the only game that I've ever played that has so many people banned for such long periods of time.
Perhaps having server admins ban hackers on site?

I know most don't care for my opinion but it is a valid point to think about.

Again a big factor in this is how bad the graphics are for DP... The new models look worse than the old in my opinion and I know others agree with me.

Another thing is that there are A LOT of players who have horrible attitudes and instead of helping new players and teaching people who aren't as good as them, they talk down to them and it makes them quit.

I'd like to think of a way to bring in new players to the game, I really do like the idea of tutorials. I think that with help a tremendous amount in recovering the games once active state.

Rewind

• VM-68
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2009, 09:37:40 PM »
Mayhem's right. The bans get rid of more people than just those banned. Im not exactly sure how to eliminate the problem, but better hack protection is a start.

I think part of the problem is the game is just becoming outdated. It isnt the same as it was in 2000 because games in 2000 looked and played like this.

Olbaid

• Autococker
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2009, 09:52:28 PM »
lmao..

banning people is killing the game, so get better hack protection...

lmfao.

brilliant.

hahahahahahahah

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2009, 04:40:35 AM »
 lol.

---------------
I've heard that official server settings are coming with next build. Now that viciouz mentioned official new textures, then I believe some changes are coming in that direction as well. I think that official maplist is a bad idea, rather have a few 'learning'/'tutorial' maps come with the game.

-------------

I also think that this game will not die. Atleast in the near future. This kind of threads are usualyl started by people, who have been around for some time, but then they lose the 'new' factor and think that everything is bad.

'new' factor - c'mon this game offers excrementload of maps, and i remember that when i first started it was fun as fuqk to explore new maps. Also, when you match the same people day after die, then it becomes old too.

Its like marriage, first its good, then it sucks, but in the end you die together on a boat.