Author Topic: www.digitalpaint.org  (Read 11205 times)

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
www.digitalpaint.org
« on: March 15, 2010, 02:46:36 PM »
This is a thread giving feedback on the Digital Paint: Paintball2 website... please don't flame this saying stupid stuff like "You're wasting your time" blah blah  blah. I don't wanna hear it, this is mainly for jitspoe's eyes and some of the more important people of the community.

In the above picture, there are two rings. The first ring is the one I'd like to talk about more, it's a small-type of advertisement that is hiding away in the top corner. This is a good idea because it promotes a clean and tidy website, and it stays with the original design of the site. However, would it hurt anyone to have a few more advertisements on the "less-important" pages such as Files/Downlands, Contact, IRC, Linkc, etc. Even if it's one of those basic "letter-box" advertisements, it's still generating revenue that'll slowly help support the games development. Ads don't hurt anyone, especially not on the pages listed above. :)

Ok, so it's only generating like $2 a month, but that's still $2 of extra cash jitspoe has towards the game, isn't it?

--

On the second ring, it's highlighting the news header. And underneath is tons of tons of information regarding the technical side of the game. When new players come to this website, and see that, there'll probably be like "wtf?" and they'll think, what is this, what does s_resamplevolume mean? This could potentially put people off. Nowhere in that website, does it tell you the following things:

- What the game is. (FPS, etc)
- Who created it.
- Computer specs.
- Main idea of the game, like to capture the flag etc.
- Screenshots of the actual game, updated ones too.

They are very important things for a first page of a game to have, in my opinion. Having all that information about new tweaks means nothing to me, or to newbies. It means something to people like ViciouZ or XBain, but not me or the average player. Put all that information on a News column, or something similar.

Look at Warsow's website..

"WHAT IS WARSOW"
Simple, easy-to-read and follow and gives a basic introduction to the game. Perhaps something this game could have? Notice the Read More button, too.

"SCREENSHOTS"
A simple link, and also below the "TRAILER" bit, it has several screenshots of the game, and they're upto-date. Perhaps having some simple screenshots at the bottom of the website will do? Also, use some decent maps for the screenshots. Not bombsaway and the other default maps, they're boring and don't show any really cool graphics like discovery.bsp and some of JeeJee's maps do. (No offence)

"TRAILER"
Skitzo, MyeRs and shockwave attempted doing a trailer. We have one too, we have many tutorials and everything done, how about combining them together for a really good trailer? It only has to be 5 minutes long..  take a look at some of the threads made about the trailers and in-game video support.

"GET WARSOW"
"FREE DOWNLOAD"
Simple section of the site, that downloads the latest version of the game with the touch of a button. Why can't we have this feature on our main page? It's so much easier than navigating all the way to the Files/Downloads section. (Perhaps have a little button below the logo saying "Linux users click here")

---

The website is the first impression of the game. If the website looks nice and slick, the players will probably think the game is too. I'm sure it'll only take you a day or two to make this happen, so why not take a day not actually coding the game, and make the website look decent and more newbie-friendly. The website is first impressions and needs some more work on to it..
If you want any help in doing the website, I'm sure the community such as myself will be happy to help you.

I hope you appreciate the feedback I'm giving, it's probably a bit repeated, but I hope you get the general idea of what I'm trying to interpret. :)

Thanks jitspoe.

edit: thread is addressed to anyone who actually cares, including anyone in the community. Not just to jitspoe, sorry for making it sound like it's just for jits.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 03:19:43 PM by Kyuuchi »

Viper

• Autococker
Re: www.digitalpaint.org
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 03:05:48 PM »
+1

maybe the community could do this, so we dont have to vote it to the top 5 of the feature vote ^^

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 03:15:52 PM »
That UK Paintball link is up at the top because there used to be ads up there to create some revenue. Google didn't believe the visiting was legitimate, so they refused Jitspoe money. I believe he has the UK Paintball link up there as a placeholder until he decides to try placing ads up there again. Correct me if any of that is wrong.

As for having a real homepage which explains things, instead of just the news link as the homepage, I agree. I believe it would be simpler to do if Jitspoe could trust some others and allow them on his admin team, so that they could help make changes, even if its just little website stuff (homepage, pics, links, contacts, files).

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 03:19:35 PM »
I like the way you're chatting to somebody called "FOR intercourseS SAKE PIS[S OFF]" :)

And all valid points, this post has made me want to mess around with some php/jscript for a while :)

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 03:25:49 PM »
That UK Paintball link is up at the top because there used to be ads up there to create some revenue. Google didn't believe the visiting was legitimate, so they refused Jitspoe money. I believe he has the UK Paintball link up there as a placeholder until he decides to try placing ads up there again. Correct me if any of that is wrong.

As for having a real homepage which explains things, instead of just the news link as the homepage, I agree. I believe it would be simpler to do if Jitspoe could trust some others and allow them on his admin team, so that they could help make changes, even if its just little website stuff (homepage, pics, links, contacts, files).

Ah, thanks for clearing that ads bit up. I wasn't to sure about including that in, but thought I would anyway.
Yeah, I'd love to see a website admin team or something.

I like the way you're chatting to somebody called "FOR intercourseS SAKE PIS[S OFF]" :)

And all valid points, this post has made me want to mess around with some php/jscript for a while :)

Knew someone would see that. :P Her name is back to normal now. :P

Your websites are sick ViciouZ. :P

Viper

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 03:34:24 PM »
other free fps websites :

http://sauerbraten.org/
http://crossfire.z8games.com/
http://www.urbanterror.info/news/home/

all these websites look quite nicer than ours :(

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 03:50:19 PM »

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 03:44:38 PM »
So, I kinda took this oppurtunity to make a quick website showing what I mean. This website isn't perfect, it's not complete, but it gives a rough idea of what we could do and what we could properly achieve with a little time and effort.
I tried to use the original theme of the site, but it kept failing for some reason; the background and logo's kept on messing up, especially with firefox. So I just thought it'd be easier to use a different style.

Things I didn't put on the site:
-> Youtube video of setting the game up, and a video of someone actually playing.
-> No fancy flash or javascript - was a quick site. :P

But, original thoughts on the site? Don't mock the theme though please, or say it's poorly constructed.. It's just an idea. :)

http://digitalpaint.comli.com

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 04:07:25 PM »
I kinda like the idea of making the website fresh again, it gives the game a new face, which might be more attractive to potential new players.

However, with your quote "Ok, so it's only generating like $2 a month, but that's still $2 of extra cash jitspoe has towards the game, isn't it?" you just totally lost my respect for this topic. The idea isn't that bad, but come one... Grow up a little and you'll understand the meaning of $2 ;)

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 04:09:56 PM »
I didn't know the situation of Google Adsense, so people should mainly ignore that part now. I didn't realise there was that issue, so yeah. Ignore it.

abnormal

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 09:57:31 AM »
I like this idea ;). It would be more newb-friendly.

Viper

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 01:01:31 PM »

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 02:03:04 PM »
like this just add an intro

It actually looks really good. Well done, kyuuchi.

Hope this leads into something as well.

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 03:10:22 PM »
I just added a gameplay video, courtesy of OTB. I hope it's a reasonable size and such, seems pretty good.. Thoughts?
http://digitalpaint.comli.com/

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 04:03:04 PM »

ip0d

• VM-68
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2010, 09:00:56 PM »
kyuuchi.. i like your website design, its basic, and it has everything a new player needs on the main page; A breif description, download on main page, and mabe add a video showing how to set the game up.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 09:08:24 AM by ip0d »

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2010, 05:57:42 AM »
kyuuchi.. i like your website design, its basic, and it has everything a new player needs on the main page; A breif description, download on main page, and mabe add a video showing how to set it the game up.

Thanks for your feedback ip0d, it's funny to see that lots of people are liking the design when it's just a quick example, personally I don't like the design. :P
With time, and more effort I think I could make a much better, detailed website with everything a website could possibly need. But I want to hear from jitspoe first.

Rewind

• VM-68
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2010, 06:53:39 AM »
I'll be devils advocate here and agree with kyuuchi. That's an awful website design. There's nothing I hate more in a website than a pre-made template, and it's glaringly obvious that's a pre-made template. HOWEVER, the way things are formatted and presented are nice. Just go get photoshop, learn html and have a go at an actual website. They're much nicer. :)

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2010, 07:17:59 AM »
I don't think you understand, I used the template to show what possibilites could happen to the website. I don't want that awful site to actually be the main site. With more time and effort, I could easily make a 10x better website. There is just simple HTML in there, and no javascript.

And Rewind, I know HTML very well, I know some PHP and a lot of javascript. I can't make logo's or designs, especially with photoshop. Please don't say that I don't know HTML, because I do. ;)

Rewind

• VM-68
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2010, 08:38:10 AM »
If you know html, then show me a darn good website. I wont believe your some web designing pro until I see some pro websites. That's not offensive, it's common sense.