Author Topic: Got questions about strafe or bunny hops?  (Read 7786 times)

Spook

• Autococker
Got questions about strafe or bunny hops?
« on: April 17, 2006, 11:11:30 PM »
I created a thread not long ago, but now its buried behind four or five pages. I thought I'd just bring up the good points and hints about double jumping and strafe jumping.

1. Use a strafe jump (forward+left/right.)

2. Tilt your mouse alittle bit i find that to help.(semi-circular motion) -Made it sound funny last time.-

Another thing is a double jump, you can do this by

1. Hitting your jump button really fast TWO times.

2. Also make sure u have some momentum getting there.(2 or so steps is all u need.)

-Spook-

TinMan

• Autococker
Re: Got questions about strafe or bunny hops?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 06:48:51 AM »
Thanks for the little tutorial Spook  :D

Here's some stuff on the topic, mostly Q3, but you get the idea.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trickjumping
http://ctf4.com/realm/howto.html

<-edit->
I got bored today so I decided to make a little jumping tutorial video. It requires the map "airtime". For those of you that are new to the game, here's what you do to be able to watch it:
1. You need to have dpball installed  :P
2. You need the map airtime, there should be a link at the bottom of this post to download it
3. With the default build16 install in Windows you click on the Start menu, click "My Computer", then click "Local Disc" or whatever your harddrive that dpball is installed on is, click on "games" then go in the folder "paintball2", open the subfolder "pball".
4. If there is a folder in here called "demos" then move onto the next step, if not, then right-click in the folder, select "New", then "Folder", and then for the name of the folder change "new folder" to "demos".
5. Download the file "tutorial.dm2" (from link below) and save it to your desktop, then cut (ctrl+x) and paste (ctrl+v) it into the "demos" folder, or you can just save it to C:\games\Paintball2\pball\demos\ if your webbrowser asks you where to save it.
6. Start up dpball
7. There are two ways to get to watching the demo, the first is:
A. Click "Play" on the main menu, then click "Play Recorded Demo", select "tutorial.dm2", and click "play"
B. the other way is to hit the tilda key on your keyboard (~), this key is next to "1" on most keyboards, on many laptops it will be in the bottom row of keys, then in the console (what comes down when you hit ~), you type "map tutorial.dm2" and the demo will begin to play
If the messages in the demo go away too soon for you to read them then hit ~, and you can read them from the console.

Good Luck!
tutorial.dm2
airtime.bsp
(airtime.bsp is a map, it goes in your paintball2/pball/maps/ folder)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 10:48:44 AM by TinMan »

postmortem

• Stingray
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 11:33:37 AM »
You can also do a standing double jump by standing directly in front of the object pressing jump once then forward and jump at the same time. it all has to be done very quickly like you are double clicking. it takes a while to get used to but its possible. once you get good at double jumping try triple jumping and ladder jumping.

GreenAffairz

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 01:05:52 PM »
We should add a little help menu in dp so newer players can read it, alot of them dont even venture or find the forums.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 03:20:38 PM »
I plan to make a tutorial/training type thing for new players.  When I do it... well, that kind of depends on you guys.

postmortem

• Stingray
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 10:11:06 PM »
i've thought of Olbaid and I making a jump demo for new players.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 04:57:09 PM »
Heh guys thanks for not screwin this one up, if u look back at the first one i made helping newbs, i was flamed for it.
Good to see some of u grow up and act ur ages.

Good Job Guys.

-Spook-

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2006, 07:24:13 PM »
Just to clarify, is the idea to alternate left and right while strafe jumping?

That seems to work to some degree. I still can only get up to around 45 mph  without special jump ramps....

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2006, 07:55:59 PM »
yeah once you get the hang of it youll go faster, i think i max out at 65 or somewhere around there on level ground

old thread... but oh well if it helps i guess its ok

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2006, 08:05:12 PM »
I plan to make a tutorial/training type thing for new players.  When I do it... well, that kind of depends on you guys.

Beacuse you suck at dp, huh?

:)

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2006, 08:16:02 PM »
LOL. Smokey caught Jitspoe on that one.
I alternate keys, because I'm big into Quake III Defrag, and you have to alternate at least every 4 hops in order to keep even, so I usually switch off with which direction I'm facing every other key when starting off for some speed, then every 2 keys once I've got some speed going, or am hitting jumps.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2006, 08:23:17 PM »
last time i saw you sucked at strafing tinny :D

SkateR

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2006, 08:41:28 PM »
PFTTTTTT TURNING YOUR MOUSE WORKS THE BEST

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2006, 08:43:26 PM »
last time i saw you sucked at strafing tinny :D
Rofl, nah, I just didn't know where you were hitting the ramp to make it in the box room in airtime the first time I played that map, I've got it down very well now, I can pretty much walk up there. Ever see me do a defrag run in quake3? It'll blow your mind at how sick I am that I can spend hours memorizing a whole map just so I can run it at .5 seconds slower than some japanese kid.  :P
After thinking about that, think about how sick that japanese kid is, and all the other people who know ALL the defrag runs...lol

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2006, 09:17:04 PM »
Thanks for the clarification

Turning the mouse...you mean slightly turning it into the direction you  are going?

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2006, 09:19:28 PM »
slightly being the keyword dont go being like skater jumping completely sideways which still mystifies me in how that works for him :/

F3AR

• VM-68
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2006, 03:15:23 AM »
well thats how I jump as well, I'm usually at a 45 degree angle or more to where I am jumping, but then again, I'm one of the "less skilled" people out there.

JOE

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2006, 08:52:19 AM »
im too lazy to use the search option on the forums, but if you search for 'strafe jumping' im sure theres like 1000 threads on how-to.  Best way to learn is practice though

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2006, 03:01:03 PM »

Beacuse you suck at dp, huh?

:)

Because I'm trying to make the development more community driven and working on what people vote for.  When I work on it depends on when people vote for it.

P.S. Spell Check works now.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2006, 03:19:26 PM »
one thing at a time eh?