_
« on: April 17, 2006, 11:24:14 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 12:50:23 AM by Dirty_Taco »

Lunatic

• 68 Carbine
Re: Sticky: Official Maplist Post for PBCup Season 2
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 02:07:49 PM »
cfire should be taken out. It can be camped easily with 2 players on each side making it hard to get to the base. As well, if you are the lone guy you can just sit right on the flag and not worry about being grabbed on. They will either rush in and own you, or if they try and get the flag without shooting because they are greedy, you can kill them. I know that didn't make much sense. I basically just hate the map in general.

I like pbsanctuary, made by Bob. It has open areas in the base for fighting, can't really be camped very well. There are multiple routes to opponents base, with enough equipment. There is many jumps to avoid the annoyance of spray. I think it could be a good addition.

Paintball Thunder, possibly. Problems with it are, narrow halls and it could be camped. Other then that it is okay.

If I think of any more maps I'll post them.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 02:42:10 PM »
routez.bsp

A.) Is the map good for 4on4 gameplay?
   It works very well for 4v4 (and higher).

A.1) Does it have multiple routes?
      As the name implies.

A.2) Are the routes wide and not narrow? (i.e. jump.bsp)
      I'm not really sure why this is a requirement.  Many popular match maps have narrow paths (ie: midnight).  I think it's good to have a variety.  Some people play better in open maps, some better in close quarters.  I personally prefer narrow paths because they put more emphasis on teamwork and strategy and less on jumping around and longballing.

A.3) Are there trick jumps within the routes that allow people to not get cornered by spray?
      It's pretty much impossible to corner somebody in this map.

A.4) Are there 4 or more sets of equipment?
      Players spawn with equipment.

A.5) Is there a variety of equipment?
      Definitely.  Player equipment spawns are low-end, but there is a broad variety of weapons throughout the map.

A.6) Does the map lend itself to multiple possibilities for clans to employ teamwork (i.e. is there more than one way to play the map).
      This is the strongpoint of this map.  Not only are there lots of paths, but there's a unique new element with the jailbreaks.  Lots of possibilities.  Also, the jails force people to move out of their base and keep the gameplay moving.

A.7) Is there more to the map than who can rush to a spot first and spray?
      Definitely.

A.eight) Does the map have many bottlenecks? That is, are there many large areas that become narrow small areas.
      Nope, each area has multiple routes.

A.9) Are the choke points situated in a manner that lends itself to good gameplay? That is, where everyone meets and sprays, is it a large area with multiple options, not a narrow hallway with no cover.
      The map has been thoroughly beta tested, and the gameplay seems to work very well.

B.) Is the map easily camped?
   As mentioned before, the jails stop most of the camping.

B.1) Can one person easily hold down the base? (i.e. bases with one entrance)
      Not easily.  The map favors offensive play.

B.2) If a clan were to have all members defend the base, would this make it impossible for the other team to score?
      There are 4 routes into the base alone.  It would be very difficult to defend even with the whole team defending.

B.3) Are the bases fairly open? (i.e. hellsurvivors)
      Again, I'm not sure why this should be a requirement.  Maps shouldn't all favor one particular skill such as longballing.  There should be variety.  It's not as open as hellsurvivors, but there are a lot more ways to reach the flag.

B.4) Is there a lot of clutter a person could hide behind then shoot someone in the back as they walk past? (maybe the only affirmative answer here would be oddjob.bsp unless we emphasize a lot).
      I feel there's a sufficient amount of cover and strategic points.

C.) Is the map made well?
   Better than the vast majority of maps.  Better than most (if not all) of mine, too.

C.1) Are there many areas with texture alignment problems?
      Texture alignment has been nitpicked.  I don't think any textures are misaligned.

C.2) Are there many areas with brush alignment problems?
      I don't think there are any misaligned brushes, either.

C.3) Are the entities spread across the map in an appropriate manner?
      Entity placement is pretty strategic.

C.4) Do all the spawns, flags, and caps work correctly?
      Yes.  It went through quite a bit of testing.

C.5) Do all the spawn points face the same direction, respectively?
      Yes.

D.) Does the map appeal to the PBCup community?

D.1) Is it a map the PBCup community will like?
      I guess that's something for the community to decide.  I think it would be a great addition, but it's fairly new and hasn't had much exposure, so much of the community probably hasn't even played it.

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 03:52:30 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 12:50:11 AM by Dirty_Taco »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 04:24:49 PM »
There's an entire jailbreak mod, which I'm sure had clans of its own, and back in its time, was significantly more popular than paintball2.  I don't know if that's still the case -- I haven't kept up with Quake2 mods much.  In any case I think it almost forces some element of teamwork.  You can't escape from the jail on your own (unless you happen to press the button and get shot at the same time).  The unique gameplay means people will have to practice it to do well.  It also stops the "get one cap and camp" strategy that everybody seems to be using now.

I also agree about cfire.  The entrances to the flag area are too easy to defend.  Ksplat2 shouldn't be on there, either, because it only has 1 path.

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 09:10:56 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 12:50:05 AM by Dirty_Taco »

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 09:52:51 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 12:50:02 AM by Dirty_Taco »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 11:15:59 PM »
It certainly has potential.  We should discuss possible revisions here: http://dpball.com/forums/index.php?topic=1744.0.  Hopefully Crash is still with us (the ban expired a couple weeks ago).  Even though the center path is the fastest, there are still two entrances to the base from that path, and just because a path is slower doesn't mean it's unusable (ie: hellsurvivors), though I don't think I've found the "5 second" route.

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2006, 11:48:55 AM »
disaster.

I wont acquaint it as long as jitspoe acquainted routez.
It has enough equipment for 4 players. Guns, equipment is in base, ammo is founded elsewhere too.

2 routes to opponent flag. 1 route is a lot faster than second route.

The base has 2 entrances, quite hard to camp in my opinion.

I think the only minus is that higher route is so fast.

GyRO.

• PGP
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2006, 11:40:45 PM »
I think propaint is a wicked map for pbcup.  Very hard to camp.  I also think you should put a map in that does not involve different routes but a straight field.  I think Battle2 is an excellant map for this ( just to change it up from maps with different routes)--- Also anyone remember halfpipe ?? That would be an interesting map to bring back.  Renoir is also another good map to play for a 4v4.

GyRO's map nomination
Propaint
Battle2
Halfpipe
Renoir

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2006, 11:51:56 PM »
I haven't had a chance to play propaint yet, so I don't know how well the gameplay works.  Battle2 is a one-path map for the most part.  Halfpipe and Renoir could be interesting, though.  There's not much to hide behind in half-pipe, and renoir's paths are pretty wide (except for that slow, back path that hardly gets used), which is what DT seems to prefer.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2006, 06:04:36 AM »
i'm not sure about propaint. it seems too small for a variety of different strategies to be used, and itss far too easy to camp every entrance

MosheD

• VM-68
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2006, 06:33:13 AM »
think again lekky. When lining to hole, the offensive player doesnt really have to jump out from that hole room, or whatever, and get shot. He can crouch down there, then look where is the liner shooting, change ur position and kill liner.
But i doubt that pp will be added to maplist.

It's Propaint 2

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2006, 06:48:29 AM »
can anything about framerate be put into the criteria? :P

for instance darkages, mirrorr and pbcup_sassault were pretty much unplayable by me and others. Why is it that two seemingly similar maps can give such a difference in framerates?

oddjob

• VM-68
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2006, 08:46:09 AM »
blaa, I am pretty sure that what you posted isnt quite what pierce had in mind, he wanted educated posts about why a map should be taken out, not just one line. Posts like yours wont be given much thought. Come up with some better reasons to get rid of a map, and they will be taken into consideration.

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2006, 04:16:06 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 12:49:19 AM by Dirty_Taco »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2006, 04:33:46 PM »
Battle2 also fails on a number of the group C requirements.  It also has a lot of potential lag issues because of the amount of equipment visible.

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2006, 12:08:44 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 12:48:59 AM by Dirty_Taco »

Lunatic

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2006, 09:02:55 PM »
I wanna see that video. Better make it look good. =D

MosEz

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2006, 03:14:32 AM »
hey
@ lekky Disaster is a good map
@ Lun Thunder is a good map too
my map nomination

1. Pbsanctuary.bsp
2. Badlands.bsp
3. CanCan.bsp

And maybe Hunt.bsp

All 4 Maps have enough equipment and they r made very well ( I think). Their are some TrickJumps and some Camperpostions.
I think their are no textures problems
More entrances in the base.
The FlagPoints work.
I think all the maps are very good for 4v4.
Have a look at it and make ur own opinnion :)