Author Topic: Keygrip 2 Tutorial  (Read 3785 times)

Gamabunta

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
Keygrip 2 Tutorial
« on: June 08, 2010, 07:39:24 AM »
Somewhat I got keygrip2 to work with pb2 (b30).
I am still on point of playing with it, as it is hard to find tutorials on the net.
I did learn, however, most of basic things, so I'm willing to share my yet little knowledge on how to edit demos in kg2.

I'm going to edit this tutorial with time, so if you are interested, keep an eye on this thread.

First off, download keygrip2 (link where I got it from: http://www.quake2.com.pl/download.php?cmd=click&id=19 (this link is dead, here's another one: http://kubus.rulez.pl/files/q2/tools/keygrip2/keygrip2054.zip)but you might want to get it out of DP2 Development Toolkit [just search our forums])
Then, if you don't want to mess up your pb2, get a new copy of it. In this new copy, rename paintball2.exe to quake2.exe. Make new config file, kg2demo.cfg (copy over config.cfg, rename it and add a line: seta vid_windowclassname "Quake 2"). Make sure pb2 loads this config file.
Next step - setting up keygrip. Open it up. It will probably show you Preferences window. If not, go File -> Preferences. Set q2 path to your copy of pb2 renamed to quake2.exe (see above). Change default game directory to pball. In additional parameters, you might want to clear this line, as I did, it shouldn't affect your demo nor pb2 in any way. You might want to change number of images or JPEG quality - do as you see fit, I'm working on 10 images @ 100% quality. Checkboxes I have checked: 3d preview on top, fast preview. Resolution - your call, 800x600 is max and it's what I'm using (having changed pb2 resolution to the same, so there is no window-changing). Other options I have left unchanged, although sk89q proposed somewhere changing port to 27915 instead of default 27910 - makes no difference to me.
Now onto demo editing.
File -> Open, select whatever demo you want. Make sure to backup your demos up, in case you f**k up demo you are currently editing. I just copy demos I want to edit into new folder and edit them from there.
Keygrip may ask you if you want to split the demo, if it was multilevel one. In most cases other level is just several frames of new map if it was loaded, so what I do is to choose "No". There are sometimes cases you want to split them up though, anyway, play with it to see what it does for you (it will save new demo in folder you got the one you are editing from).
Now, time to see if you did everything correctly. Click on 3D Preview button, it's the one before last to the right (or View -> Quake 2 3D Preview). It should open your pb2, then keygrip might go white, hang up for a bit. A demo would load - and nothing. That's when you alt+tab to keygrip (as I have "3d preview on top" checked, as mentioned before) and there should be new window opened, called Demo Server and Camera Studio. If you don't have it, or it disappeared, as it likes to do, click on Show Demo Server, last button to the right (or View -> Demo Server). In the window, you should see recording and play buttons. Click on > (play). Activate pb2 window, your demo should be playing now. Below play button, you see kind of a progress bar - slide it and it will show any frame you want.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 02:24:28 PM by Gamabunta »

zimtstern

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
Re: Keygrip 2 Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 08:20:41 AM »
Likes this.

jaypeak

• PGP
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 03:56:31 PM »
what is keygrip2?

Gamabunta

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 05:08:44 PM »
Keygrip 2 is a software allowing you to edit .dm2 files. It is aimed towards quake2, but it works with paintball2 too. Kg2 options allow you to place new cameras on the map and make them follow a player, for example. What's more, you can cut out what you want from demos, so you don.t really have to go through fastforwarding + frapsing.

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 11:25:20 PM »
 Maybe you should show the public some of the awesome clips you showed me ;)

abnormal

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 08:10:11 AM »
Maybe you should show the public some of the awesome clips you showed me ;)
true :P

Gamabunta

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 08:36:16 AM »
It's nothing special, really. It doesn't show full potential of keygrip, just camera basics. But if you ask...

P.S. c1 might look better with cl_drawhud 0 and cl_gun 0, 2 days ago I didn't know I could turn hud off in kg. Should you see player with no textures on c1, don't worry, I know how to fix it now. In shock demo it doesn't show map name (this 'shock design by N/A' or something), that's because I changed this in kg and now it won't show nothing :/

Any other bug you spot, please inform me. I'd be thankful for ideas on how to improve visual perception, I mean, how to make frags/jumps look good (camera work).

ITSM3

• PGP
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 12:47:25 PM »
I dont know how to edit the camera, it would be nice if u could explain that. =))