Author Topic: FPS drops  (Read 2554 times)

iEATnoobs

• VM-68
FPS drops
« on: February 20, 2011, 12:42:57 PM »
I posted about this before, but now i cant play any games because of the constant fps drops.

On every game i play i get major fps drops every 3 seconds, that last about 3 seconds and so on.

The problem is not my internet, but something with my hardware or software.

I have a core 2 duo and a 9800 gt
Ive had this setup for years now and never had problems.

Opinions?

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
Re: FPS drops
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 01:06:00 PM »
overheating?

iEATnoobs

• VM-68
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 03:04:35 PM »
thats what i thought, but i cleaned out my heatsink and vid card and now its worse.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 05:02:58 PM »
Try updating graphic drivers and processor drivers. Also check if you dont accidently set some sort of quiet mode or low perfomance mode.
I read that you had this for years but from my own experiences graphic drivers are most likely to be damaged by anything.
Have you looked into process manager if there is some weird program that takes 50% cpu every 3 secs?
Also you can try flashing bios. And you should write on nvidia or intel forum you will get much more responses.
PS:What about viruses? Try running accurate disc scan with your antivir

iEATnoobs

• VM-68
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 10:30:00 PM »
no viruses, just changed to high performance mode and i updated my gpu drivers, but couldnt find any for the core 2 duo or motherboard... still no luck

eXitus

• Committee Member
  • VM-68
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 02:40:19 AM »
Try downgrading to the last driverversion that worked without fps drops. Also clear your hdd with CCcleaner or something similar to delete all unneeded, old files of drivers.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 05:00:58 AM »
Try downgrading to the last driverversion that worked without fps drops. Also clear your hdd with CCcleaner or something similar to delete all unneeded, old files of drivers.
Good idea forgot about that. For example i am using gpu driver from 2009 =)
And you can try using some type of emulated system (virtualbox or similar) and try using linux or another windows system if there are same problems

iEATnoobs

• VM-68
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 12:16:30 PM »
Downgraded my cpu driver, still nothing. I have a feeling it has to do with overheating, when i first turn on my computer and play its fine then after the temp raises it lags more. I downloaded speedfan or whatever and my gpu is only getting up to 70 deg C. I read that they are good for over 100 deg C

eXitus

• Committee Member
  • VM-68
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 01:04:28 PM »
70 deg C are ok, not that good but it shouldn't cause problems. If it really was an overheating problem it would not lag, but shut down your whole pc. Check your gpu/cpu clock speed while playing, maybe it gets reduced because of the higher temperature.
Did you mean you downgraded your gpu driver ?

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 01:28:40 PM »
70 deg C are ok, not that good but it shouldn't cause problems. If it really was an overheating problem it would not lag, but shut down your whole pc?

I believe Viper had similar problems on his laptops, which only caused heavy lags