Author Topic: Official HR4 (High-Resolution, 4x) Texture Pack - WIP  (Read 147458 times)

MyeRs

• Autococker
Re: Official HR4 (High-Resolution, 4x) Texture Pack - WIP
« Reply #280 on: November 07, 2013, 09:47:08 AM »
I understand when people bring out Sunman's textures arguing that they like them more than Jitspoes (even though I disagree with them). But, some people prefer the clean textures. (even though that pack has 1 grass texture so all maps look similar).

But I do not understand why someone would want brick walls on carp/pforest over Jitspoes.

Jitspoes Carpathian wall is, in my opinion, the nicest texture in the game. It's clean looking, and matches the default version well.

PS- I do like the dark blue borders of using the wood rather than the metal.  (in reality, wood makes more sense on PP1 then metal anyways... since it's running along the side of wood, so it's like it was painted). But, I know it was intended to be metal. I just think the darker-more defined blue looks really nice. Rather than the kinda faded-lighter metal thats typically there.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #281 on: November 07, 2013, 12:06:03 PM »
The texture selection in propaint1 really doesn't make sense in general, but the textures should not be selected explicitly for that map, as they are used in other maps as well.  Having wood planks in the metal details on most other maps would look bad.  This is a case where the map could stand to be fixed up with "a fresh coat of paint".  Lots of texture misalignments and stuff in it that could stand to be fixed up as well.

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #282 on: November 09, 2013, 06:45:10 AM »
The texture selection in propaint1 really doesn't make sense in general, but the textures should not be selected explicitly for that map, as they are used in other maps as well.  Having wood planks in the metal details on most other maps would look bad.  This is a case where the map could stand to be fixed up with "a fresh coat of paint".  Lots of texture misalignments and stuff in it that could stand to be fixed up as well.

I'd be happy to work on a propaint1_fix, just fixing up alignments, tweaking choices of textures and fixing any bugs. Think I'd have to get permission from crash first.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #283 on: November 09, 2013, 08:17:23 AM »
Back on topic. Jits, the next textures you should work on are wizmetal and the sew one that looks like metal.

Or else you can work on hr4 sky textures.

Or else you can take a break from working on textures and focus on better bots.

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #284 on: November 09, 2013, 09:25:59 AM »
I'd be happy to work on a propaint1_fix, just fixing up alignments, tweaking choices of textures and fixing any bugs. Think I'd have to get permission from crash first.

IMO pp1 is fine how it is, crash probably wouldn't care you wouldn't be able to get in touch with him. I've met him IRL and could always text and ask him. But after helping him with that map for endless nights I'd prefer it doesn't get remade. If it does ONLY visually no terrain change what so ever.

Aveiro

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #285 on: November 09, 2013, 12:07:09 PM »
Not bad textures Malibu, I like some of your screens. :)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #286 on: November 09, 2013, 09:54:04 PM »

I adjusted the alignment slightly so that the shadow is on the bottom.  Looked better in the maps I could find that used it, and it'll make it easier for mappers to align (and be more consistent with the other textures).

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #287 on: November 09, 2013, 10:43:25 PM »
Good work, Jitspoe! It looks similar to the original, but HD!!!!!

Chalk

• VM-68
« Reply #288 on: November 10, 2013, 04:06:39 PM »

Please...leave it alone

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #289 on: November 11, 2013, 12:06:17 AM »

FusSioN

• Autococker
« Reply #290 on: November 11, 2013, 12:27:04 AM »
There are some textures like in shock that is not HD

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #291 on: November 11, 2013, 09:11:59 AM »
Please...leave it alone

All I'd be doing is fixing mis-alignments, not even a visual remake, or anything like that. Just a fix of lighting and mis-alignments. Do you hate me or smth? Can't see why someone wouldn't like me to fix mis-alignments.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #292 on: November 11, 2013, 12:00:57 PM »
All I'd be doing is fixing mis-alignments, not even a visual remake, or anything like that. Just a fix of lighting and mis-alignments. Do you hate me or smth? Can't see why someone wouldn't like me to fix mis-alignments.
He thought you was gonna do somethin' to change gameplay. Propaint has perfect gameplay.

On topic: That texture above is  supposed to be smoother and shinier IMO but it's your game so you do what you want.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #293 on: November 11, 2013, 12:57:45 PM »
Well, I decided to make it look a little more like concrete, since that would probably have more practical use in most maps.  I could try to make it look more like metal, if that's what people would prefer.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #294 on: November 11, 2013, 07:26:04 PM »
Well, I decided to make it look a little more like concrete, since that would probably have more practical use in most maps.  I could try to make it look more like metal, if that's what people would prefer.
Most maps on which I've seen it used use it as a metal texture. I'm using it as metal for New York and the makers of Banliue used it as metal for their map, and those are the two maps on which this texture is most prominently featured in my experience.

I made a custom sky texture for pbsky3 because I was getting sick of the unrealistically huge stars. Basically what I did is I took one of the skies, tiled it 2by2, and stuck it in the hr4 folder. For the part with the moon, I put the sky with the moon texture in one corner and used the same texture for the other three spots. Are these legal?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #295 on: November 11, 2013, 07:30:53 PM »
I thought you were using it as a concrete texture.  On your map and banliue, it makes more sense as concrete to me.  Buildings like that are usually made of bricks or concrete.  Metal plates seem out of place...

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #296 on: November 11, 2013, 07:32:14 PM »
I thought you were using it as a concrete texture.  On your map and banliue, it makes more sense as concrete to me.  Buildings like that are usually made of bricks or concrete.  Metal plates seem out of place...
OK. I'll use it and see how it looks.

Edit: It actually looks really good. Nice work, Jitspoe!

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #297 on: November 12, 2013, 02:50:18 PM »
Regarding the stars, those are fine to use.  I want to do some better ones (current ones, which you used, are not only low res, but have some ugly jpeg artifacts).  I'm actually looking to see if I can find some database of star positions and make an accurate night sky.

Any other textures you'd like to see done?

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #298 on: November 12, 2013, 03:11:58 PM »
unwall1_8 and wgrass1_1 maybe? Both are used in 2fort5.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #299 on: November 12, 2013, 03:49:02 PM »
The other metal texture used in banliue that also appears scaled-up on the elevator doors of New York. And the rest of the sky textures.