Author Topic: Unreal 3 engine why not??  (Read 2986 times)

smokeymicblunt

• PGP
Unreal 3 engine why not??
« on: April 05, 2011, 01:17:41 PM »
i was just wondering and this game is awsome! super fun, but im just throwing this out there why dont u, use the unreal 3 engine in stead of unreal 2 engine? the grahfics would be amazing and u could do alot more with the game, i love the game and all but it looks like a year 2000 game it should look like a 2011 game, it would be amazing too see you guys do that, becuz theres not many paintball games out there that are good, and this one can really be awsome, thanks and would love some feed back !!  ;D

I found one game that they were making with the unreal 3 engine but it is now dead, whitch sucks becuz it looked like it was gonna be really good, called Mvpb =Maximum Velocity Paintball  here have a look at some screenshots hopefully it will make you guys upgrade to the unreal 3 engine.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 02:58:24 PM by smokeymicblunt »

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Re: Unreal 3 engine? why not??
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 02:01:59 PM »
i was just wondering and this game is awsome! super fun, but im just throwing this out there why dont u, use the unreal 3 engine in stead of unreal 2 engine? the grahfics would be amazing and u could do alot more with the game, i love the game and all but it looks like a year 2000 game it should look like a 2011 game, it would be amazing too see you guys do that, becuz theres not many paintball games out there that are good, and this one can really be awsome, thanks and would love some feed back !!  ;D

This game uses the Quake II engine not UnrealEngine 2, or it would look a lot prettier ;) And the Quake II engine is from 1997, so saying it looks like a 2000 game is a compliment :)

Sadly the work porting all the code and media over to another engine as different as UnrealEngine 3 would take years given the amount of available development time for this game. So it's pretty unlikely that it'll happen. But hopefully the graphics can be improved with a new map format etc. in time, without changing the engine.

payl

• 68 Carbine
Re: Unreal 3 engine? why not??
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 03:00:38 PM »
@smokeymicblunt, short TO DO list, if you want to implement this engine, and then post it out here, so Jitspoe will sure switch to this new cool engine:
-Buy Unreal Engine 3
-Create a program to change our old map format, into new one, supported by new engine.
-Update all connections between game core and graphics engine.
-Implement new gravity system (cause we want our old jumps from Q2)
-Get new map editor for our mappers.
-Convert our models!
And then, maybe your release, will look 80% good as old Q2. So work 1 000 hours more.
Paintball 2 wasn't created yesterday, so our models, textures (Jitspoe is working on that...), and even maps, aren't new, and when they were created, they looked nice, but now not. So maybe stop telling us what to do, better create new pgp model, so Jitspoe can add it... Or create your game, it is SO EASY!

Everyone who is talking about making Paintball look like for example GTA 4, is unrealistic. Jitspoe isn't a team of 100 people, like programmers, map makers, model creators, etc. . And he doesn't have time to add much new things. And he doesn't have budget like 1 000 000$. Really.

Go play your new Crysis 5, if you think only about graphics. And if you don't, be happy, cause Jitspoe is still doing something for this game. We should call Jitspoe God.

** Payl is annoyed.

smokeymicblunt

• PGP
Re: Unreal 3 engine why not??
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 03:05:59 PM »
@smokeymicblunt, short TO DO list, if you want to implement this engine, and then post it out here, so Jitspoe will sure switch to this new cool engine:
-Buy Unreal Engine 3
-Create a program to change our old map format, into new one, supported by new engine.
-Update all connections between game core and graphics engine.
-Implement new gravity system (cause we want our old jumps from Q2)
-Get new map editor for our mappers.
-Convert our models!
And then, maybe your release, will look 80% good as old Q2. So work 1 000 hours more.
Paintball 2 wasn't created yesterday, so our models, textures (Jitspoe is working on that...), and even maps, aren't new, and when they were created, they looked nice, but now not. So maybe stop telling us what to do, better create new pgp model, so Jitspoe can add it... Or create your game, it is SO EASY!

Everyone who is talking about making Paintball look like for example GTA 4, is unrealistic. Jitspoe isn't a team of 100 people, like programmers, map makers, model creators, etc. . And he doesn't have time to add much new things. And he doesn't have budget like 1 000 000$. Really.

Go play your new Crysis 5, if you think only about graphics. And if you don't, be happy, cause Jitspoe is still doing something for this game. We should call Jitspoe God.

** Payl is annoyed.

Relax dude like i said it was just a idea! hahaha , wow man u dont need to get all crazy on me, wwhoosawww

payl

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 03:44:14 PM »
Relax dude like i said it was just a idea! hahaha , wow man u dont need to get all crazy on me, wwhoosawww
I'm getting crazy, because you aren't first people asking about that ^.^
Your 'idea' is stupid, you should think before posting Ideas, or just searching forums, and find out that 'idea' was already mentioned...
Go, do something, rather than thinking about 'Ideas' (thats just idea!). This topic is nonsens.

And sorry for beein kinda mad, but just don't tell me Paintball looks bad, cause you didn't installed HR4 textures pack... And think, what we can do (realistic!) for making graphics even better...

smokeymicblunt

• PGP
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 04:00:33 PM »
Your 'idea' is stupid, you should think before posting Ideas, or just searching forums, and find out that 'idea' was already mentioned...
Go, do something, rather than thinking about 'Ideas' (thats just idea!). This topic is nonsens.

And sorry for beein kinda mad, but just don't tell me Paintball looks bad, cause you didn't installed HR4 textures pack... And think, what we can do (realistic!) for making graphics even better...

how is it stupid? better textures aint gonna make the game better? this game aint obv gonna last very long, whats the point of playing a game that looks like crap? the only way to make this game look better as it is now, is to scrap it compelety hire some people to work for you and re do the whole thing with a WAY better engine, sorry that the truth makes you so mad?

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 04:56:34 PM »

Paintball looks bad. Kthx.

RoBbIe

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 06:10:32 PM »
This may sound dumb, but i like the unrealistic look that paintball gives off. I think if it was more realistic it would take "uniqueness" out of the game lol

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 10:12:50 PM »
indeed. pb2 should go toon all the way. :D

payl

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 03:13:43 AM »
This may sound dumb, but i like the unrealistic look that paintball gives off. I think if it was more realistic it would take "uniqueness" out of the game lol
Agree. +1

Paintball looks bad. Kthx.
I can't agree, look on Q2, and other games from 1997, then compare to Paintball, which bases on Q2. And it's really good progress. Sure, stupid players want to compare this to new games from 2011. But i don't compare, everything in Paintball is clear, and looks overall good.
I don't really care about people which say it looks bad. They don't invested in texture pack or just dream about other games. If you don't like Paintball, don't play it.

whats the point of playing a game that looks like crap?
Don't play it. You are too simple to understand 'soul' of Paintball. And look around, some people play it, so graphics aren't really most important thing.

indeed. pb2 should go toon all the way. :D
Noo toon! Just keep it same :P

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 06:03:25 AM »
I can't agree, look on Q2, and other games from 1997, then compare to Paintball, which bases on Q2. And it's really good progress. Sure, stupid players want to compare this to new games from 2011. But i don't compare, everything in Paintball is clear, and looks overall good.
I don't really care about people which say it looks bad. They don't invested in texture pack or just dream about other games. If you don't like Paintball, don't play it.
Why am I stupid for comparing this game to games that have been released this year? It's mostly where the competition of drawing players is. Sure, it looks good compared to other old games, but that's not where most the competition is coming from. I have my favourite texture pack installed, I've even updated those Jits has been working on, it still looks bad. It looks better, but until we move to a different engine or implement a new map format, it's not going to have that big of impact. Why would I stop playing? I love this game, been playing since before gls, why would I stop now? Never said I hated this game, either.

smokeymicblunt

• PGP
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 06:13:05 AM »
Why am I stupid for comparing this game to games that have been released this year? It's mostly where the competition of drawing players is. Sure, it looks good compared to other old games, but that's not where most the competition is coming from. I have my favourite texture pack installed, I've even updated those Jits has been working on, it still looks bad. It looks better, but until we move to a different engine or implement a new map format, it's not going to have that big of impact. Why would I stop playing? I love this game, been playing since before gls, why would I stop now? Never said I hated this game, either.
i agree! i never said i hated it either, but its so true its best off to move to a different engine i just dont want to see this game die in a few years like all the rest of the "paintball games"

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 06:17:11 AM »
lol @ Comparing it to games from 1997. Yeah, the games that nobody plays anymore. DP has a unique community, but it's hardly surviving, and it's lasting off of some people who have played 10 years. So sure, it may be nicer then games from back then, you know, those games nobody plays anymore. The point is 'how can we improve the game to draw in more players?' -- it involves more then an hr4 pack, those help, but it needs more then just that. Payl is just over-reacting, somebodies upset.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 09:00:44 AM »
There is no chance that PB2 will ever use Unreal Engine 3. If it ever gets an engine change, it would probably be to the Quake 3 engine.
And yes, a new map format would help, and all these things aren't the only things that need to be done to bring people to the game.
However, this thread is about UE3, and as such it is going nowhere. If you have any helpful ideas for the game, please post them in a different thread.