18 (51.4%)
#3 - Old Hr4
2 (5.7%)
#4 - New Hr4
14 (40%)
5 - Post your own textures.
1 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: Barrel textures.  (Read 5708 times)

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
Re: Barrel textures.
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2011, 08:47:51 PM »
Anyone who wants an example of "toon" style, I think Warsow is that style.

zimtstern

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2011, 10:02:28 AM »
Cuso can you make new ones?:)

From what i see it`s pretty close with the Votes.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2011, 01:42:57 PM »
Do people actually like the way the light blue and pink barrels look, or do they just like them because it's easier to see people?  To me, they just look like somebody took a photo of a wall and drew black lines on it.  I don't think they look appealing at all.

Also, can we use a map that actually has the textures aligned for screenshots? :P

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2011, 02:45:52 PM »
I don't think they look appealing at all.

People like it because it makes the game look cartoony. People like the cartoony textures because they think the game is unrealistic and there for it makes sense to use cartoony textures. But I prefer realistic textures.

But it is possible to have both.

payl

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2011, 02:54:18 PM »
But it is possible to have both.
No no no. It's already problem because many players use pink textures to make seeing enemy easier.
People like the cartoon textures because they think the game is unrealistic and there for it makes sense to use cartoon textures.
I agree. IMO cartoon textures might be okay, but then we need more than just textures. We need models (as sounds are okay). And, for now, i haven't seen any carton texture pack. So realistic graphics way is only good way.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2011, 04:48:35 PM »
Do people actually like the way the light blue and pink barrels look, or do they just like them because it's easier to see people?  To me, they just look like somebody took a photo of a wall and drew black lines on it.  I don't think they look appealing at all.

Also, can we use a map that actually has the textures aligned for screenshots? :P

People will say they actually like it, just like people say they actually like the neon grass because they are used to it. Like, many texture packs use the brightest grasses possible and since they are used to it they like it but originally it was probably to get a slight advantage. The only argument I can see for the bright textures is something along the lines of 'they look cleaner then the detailed ones' -- which is true, the less detail usually means the cleaner. I personally like the clean look over the detailed one, but I would assume new players prefer the detailed - realistic look.

Mayhem

• Stingray
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2011, 05:13:10 PM »
Honestly, I absolutely LOVE the textures in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1sje8xNKBw

I personally think they look amazing, especially on prolandr.

I don't think I'm explaining the "toony" thing right and perhaps "toony" isn't the best word to explain.

The textures in this video have a "toonish" look to them.

If you look at prolandr and propaint1 you'll see what I'm talking about.

I'm not suggesting we turn the game into a horrible looking cartoon or anything of that sort.

I just really don't see the point trying to make a game with unrealistic physics look real.

Warsow is a great example of a cartoon styled game.

zimtstern

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2011, 09:48:20 AM »
I can see for the bright textures is something along the lines of 'they look cleaner then the detailed ones' -- which is true, the less detail usually means the cleaner. I personally like the clean look over the detailed one, but I would assume new players prefer the detailed - realistic look.

That is the reason i was using them. thanks myers^

@ Mayhem, these barrel textures are not allowed anymore (what i personally think its bad, thats the reason i create this topic)

Mayhem

• Stingray
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2011, 02:14:18 PM »
I heard that a while ago so I instantly stopped using them...

I have no intentions of being banned again.

On a side note, I'm using the "Green Scrawl" HUD, is that allowed? It doesn't enhance my play at all.
I just don't see why it's red... It's a team color... so I chose I neutral color instead.

Gamabunta

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2011, 03:54:25 PM »
You can use whatever hud you want, might as well use no hud in order to see more.