Author Topic: Cheating in DP  (Read 8602 times)

Blitz

• 68 Carbine
Cheating in DP
« on: July 17, 2011, 07:01:00 PM »
I have never understood how someone could find gratifiion in cheating in a computer game, or any game for that matter. If you have to cheat to win, how exactly is that a rewarding experience?

Psychology aside, cheating is an issue that has been addressed on a case-by-case basis, without every really putting a ton of limelight on the issue.

In public servers, I can see why it's not worth addressing; however, for the clan and competitive matching scene, cheating is a very serious issue that needs to be dealt with aggressively and pro-actively.

Before we run tournaments, especially ones with prizes, we would like to see steps taken to resolve and disable the current *working* cheats (I've been made aware of at least one, and am certain there are others).

I would like to first gather any and all information the community has on modern day cheating, so that we can take action on this issue. As a computer scientist, if this is not something that the development leaders feel is worth addressing, we will address it ourselves in some manner on the server side.

Jitspoe, if you could help outlining the current methodologies and protections in place, that would be a great starting point.

At least on our servers, cheating will NOT be tolerated.

coledamm

• Stingray
Re: Cheating in DP
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 08:01:39 PM »
paintball gets guite fast boring, people try everything, as i did, thats why im on ban list. hacks are dope, you cant stop if you started.

PGPSandman

• Stingray
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 08:30:32 PM »
 A cheater never wins, and a winner never cheats. It always comes back and bites you in the butt. Why use the knowledge to cheat rather than make a valid addon everyone can enjoy?
 I bet 9 out of 10 of the cheaters here were the silent ones in their own grade but bullied the hell out of the lower grade kids to feel tough.
 They also probably play SIMS in their spare time needing the "God Like" control freak rush. Usually in the long run they end up ... being bullied by everyone while they work their butts off as Geek Squad for Best Buy or a Radio Shack employee.

idias

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »
paintball gets guite fast boring, people try everything, as i did, thats why im on ban list. hacks are dope, you cant stop if you started.
Spoken like a true looser! Just because you need hacks to play does not mean other people do. And won't even comment on the comparison between hacks and dope...
You're on the ban list because you hacked as did many others and failed and got banned (3x in your case right?)

A cheater never wins, and a winner never cheats.
Should've stopped there mate the rest might have been a little bit exagerated lol :P

It's good to see someone get interested in actually helping DP instead of just poiting out the flaws. Especially on a matter like this. Hope jitspoe actually helps you with this and makes it happen faster instead of just tossing the idea to a corner.

coledamm

• Stingray
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 09:11:43 PM »
Ivo, its my 3rd offence, did i hack after first ban? yes, i did, it wasnt cuz i wanted to be better than other players, I just got bored, playing the same maps, the same clans, with/against the same people...It isnt fun at all
My fun is cheating. Everybody gets older, im getting older, game's getting older, its not the same as before was, I remember times 09' matching non stop with sata, rC, sage, that was fun, you couldnt enter  two publics(cuz of crowded) to ask for a macth, you couldnt even rent a server, there was so many cool and funny people, they left.
Anyway why i shouldnt be cheating while some guys are changing their textures/skies or just wallhack, just gimme and answer.

idias

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 09:35:15 PM »
Anyway why i shouldnt be cheating while some guys are changing their textures/skies or just wallhack, just gimme and answer.
One more reason to why Blitz should go on with this idea.
And yeah you're actually right. Many people have left the game but you hacking and also leaving won't exactly do any good for it

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 09:36:04 PM »
I have one currently undetectable hack that I will provide information for. And possibly one or two names of other ones that I'll see if I have. I'll give the info over IRC whenever I'm on.

(And yes, Jitspoe already knows of the hack, but nothings been done about it)

Blitz

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 10:40:48 PM »
Great, the more people we can get behind the idea of cleaning up the cheating, the faster we can take real quantifiable action on it.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 05:04:20 AM »
sv_cullentities 1 recommended for games where everybody has low ping to the server, stops wallhacks but gets ugly if you get above about 100 ping

Kiffer2302

• PGP
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 06:11:14 AM »
lololololol nice i think the half pballworld didnt knows that command

Blitz

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 09:24:29 AM »
ViciouZ, could you elaborate on that setting? What is it doing, what its particular implications on latency are, and if it has been shown to stop 100% of the current 'working' cheats?

skitzo

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 03:09:40 PM »
For tournaments and such, would there be a possibility of programming an anti-cheat system similar to leagues like CEVO? Kind of like if it detects processes that are related to hacking or have key words in them and then even if it gets past that it takes screenshots at random times and uploads them to a server for the tournament/league admins to view?

Blitz

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 03:13:11 PM »
For tournaments and such, would there be a possibility of programming an anti-cheat system similar to leagues like CEVO? Kind of like if it detects processes that are related to hacking or have key words in them and then even if it gets past that it takes screenshots at random times and uploads them to a server for the tournament/league admins to view?

There was also something called NC (no cheat) Server a while back that was pretty effective. I'm curious what if any of that functionality was moved over to the DP server side. I asked jitspoe about it on IRC, but haven't heard any response yet.

payl

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 03:14:25 PM »
No one really knows what Jitpose have. He is developing anticheat, no one is sure what he have. But as you don't know, i could say there is already sshot system.

I rly cant understand, why jitspoe doesnt bann him from forums. He is destroying every topic.
I can't understand why you guys keep on posting. If you don't post - i don't post. Simple, and working. But too hard for people which need to flame as it's nice to flame Payl :-] .

I'm curious what if any of that functionality was moved over to the DP server side. I asked jitspoe about it on IRC, but haven't heard any response yet.
No one knows what functionality Anti-cheat has, but i guess there is sth.

skitzo

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, 03:15:33 PM »
Ah i see, the only thing with a client is I'm pretty sure you would have to program your own completely unless a dead league offers a base. I think most leagues copyright their work with anti-cheat clients. At least the paid leagues.

But as you don't know, i could say there is already sshot system.

I do know there is a screenshot system, you clearly didn't read my post as to what the outside anti-cheat program would do.

skitzo

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2011, 03:26:42 PM »
Why you think outside anticheat is better than built in? And you think anyone could make it?
I personaly could, but i'm not sure if i got aproved by anyone, as everyone threats me as troll.

Well if the built in anti-cheat is as great as you say then why are there still cheats that work and cheaters that aren't banned?

Blitz

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2011, 08:26:54 AM »
Thanks for cleaning up this thread. ViciouZ contacted me on IRC and was very helpful!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 09:13:19 AM by Blitz »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2011, 12:28:43 PM »
If there are cheats you are aware of that you don't think are detected, send me the details in private (email is probably best).  I'm not going to share the source for the cheat detection code, for obvious reasons.

skitzo

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2011, 04:48:19 PM »
Oh no I don't know of any, I was just going off Blitz's first post about how other people know of 1 or 2 cheats that are undetected

rockitude

• Committee Member
  • 68 Carbine
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2011, 05:15:40 AM »
Could it be that you enabled sv_cullentities on eR33t servers ? We played on eR33t Match server today and it was rly freaky. Our pings were higher than normal (around 250) and sometimes gunmodels or playermodels dissapeared for a second.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 05:36:03 AM by Spain »