Author Topic: DP Tutorials  (Read 7770 times)

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Re: DP Tutorials
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2011, 04:11:13 PM »
I m sure that chemical will be heard of. As for me i m not even sure jits cares :O

Come on guys, this is about Chemical helping the community, not his ban time.

What The____?(CheMiCaL)

• PGP
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2011, 08:39:09 PM »
i tried to make my chan look better tell me what you think! http://www.youtube.com/user/DPHowTo?feature=mhee

Chef-Killer

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2011, 11:44:45 AM »
How to: Make a map
I'd prefer the following one, because it's almost impossible to put together the most important stuff in one video like "how to: my first map".
http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=15629.0

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2011, 01:26:19 PM »
If you are going to be including How-Tos on map making it would probably be a better idea to give it it's own section.

Create a map from start to finish but make a video for each step.

Example:   DP How To - Make a Map 1  (What makes a good Paintball2 map)
               DP How To - Make a Map 2  (Install BSP)
               DP How To - Make a Map 50 (upload final version)

jamal

• PGP
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2011, 01:34:44 PM »
SuperMAn, I've been helping CheMiCaL with these (setting them up in text versions for him to make the videos, thats why im replying) and that's pretty much what we were going to do IF we went into detail. But since CheMiCaL doesn't know much at all about map-making (and I have limited knowledge) it was going to be pretty much Installing BSP - explaining a few key concepts to mapping, and explaining what it takes to make a good DP2 map.

The lack of our knowledge in the mapping department is why we want the community to help with this project, video-how-to's are far easier for beginners than written documents. If they are all put in 1 spot, it makes it easy for beginners to find them. (Whether it be CheMiCaL's videos, or somebody else who makes them better). Anyways, thanks for your advice though, for jumping how-to's they will be split up (since it's easier for viewers in my opinion too watch a 2--3min vid on what they want to see, rather than a 15min vid that they don't need most of it).

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2011, 03:40:14 PM »
If you really want to do this it would have to be planned out well before you start making videos, or else it will become a huge mess.  Sit down with a couple knowledgeable map makers and create a list of everything you need to do to create a map from start to finish.  Once that is complete you can decide which sections need their own videos and which can be included with others.   Work with the mappers to ensure that you are getting key points across.  Never know you might become great mappers after it is all over =)

I think this would be awesome to have for the DP community, but only if it is not done half-assed.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2011, 04:05:57 PM »
DP How To - Make a Map 2  (Install BSP)

That will be a short video. Here is the Setup and you only need to change the path to you paintball folder (in the file "pfad.txt"), if it is not in the default folder.

jamal

• PGP
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2011, 04:11:37 PM »
I think this would be awesome to have for the DP community, but only if it is not done half-assed.

I agree 100% - but there's a difference between "done half-assed" and not being done well. Sometimes the person doing it, in this case CheMiCaL, may be doing his best, however he may not be the most knowledgeable person, making the video's not as good as they could be. (This is really the main reason I'm making text files of how-to's for him, so for now on he'll cover more info). There's always room for improvement, it just needs to start with somebody taking initiative.

If people watch CheMiCaL's videos he has up now, they should comment on what would make it better in this thread, so he can continue to improve them. What are they missing? Did it answer all possible questions? etc..  - My criticism to him (which i've told him) is the fact it's more: "watch and do" , he doesn't really explain what he's doing it while doing it (granted most things are self explanitory, but might as well be as clear as possible!).

EDIT: Terrorist, short videos are better. An installing BSP video would consist of showing where to find the file, download, and where to put it. Some people struggle a lot with downloading stuff, so having it seperate works better. I rather watch a 1 min video on what I need, than a 10min video trying to find that little part I need.

What The____?(CheMiCaL)

• PGP
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2011, 09:08:46 PM »
******* UPDATED ********

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2011, 09:06:46 AM »
Jamal:  There is no difference.  If he wants to do it well he needs to work with mappers.  If he does his "best" but with no help from knowledgeable mappers I would call that half-assed because he did not put the effort in that was required to achieve the best possible result.

Many short videos  >  Few long videos

Toxiic

• Autococker
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2011, 04:24:49 PM »
These video's are quite helpful i have been playing this game almost like 4 years (estimate) and it was almost impossible for me to make a account for the forums and boom now newbies like me can make an forums account.

Good job chemical on the videos if you need any help send me a message on forums.

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2011, 04:31:03 PM »
it was almost impossible for me to make a account for the forums and boom now newbies like me can make an forums account.

Not trying to talk anyone down here, but people who have problems creating a forum account, will probably also have trouble finding those videos, if they won't get further promotion.

Keep up the good work Chemical, let's hope that one day we will have such a "how-to-section" on the frontpage, so every newbie can get his first questions answered.

What The____?(CheMiCaL)

• PGP
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2011, 04:37:43 PM »

What The____?(CheMiCaL)

• PGP
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2011, 06:00:05 AM »
**UPDATE**
Started on a How to for Aiming/curving bullets, Recon, and Choose settings. if anyone's got an idea of what i should add tell me. and if anyone want's to help me with these vid(already got a couple people) msg me on mIRC and i'll tell you what i need help with.

- CheMiCaL

skitzo

• Autococker
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2011, 09:01:46 AM »
**UPDATE**
Started on a How to for Aiming/curving bullets, Recon, and Choose settings. if anyone's got an idea of what i should add tell me. and if anyone want's to help me with these vid(already got a couple people) msg me on mIRC and i'll tell you what i need help with.

- CheMiCaL

You honestly can't teach someone to aim, it's learned through practice and finding the settings and methods that suit you.

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2011, 12:07:05 PM »
Just teach them that they are shooting tiny little paintballs which have space in between them and not an uber death ray laser that never stops shooting.