Author Topic: Player Movement Physics Tweaks  (Read 15129 times)

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
Re: Player Movement Physics Tweaks
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2011, 06:42:17 AM »
- Ramp control.  You can move as fast as you want up a ramp and still stop and jump.  You won't glide uncontrollably.  In order to glide up ramps like with the old physics, you must hold your jump button down.

This is the only thing that I am concerned about.  Does this mean that if you are not holding down jump while you hit a ramp you will simply stop?  If so I think this would be an awful change to make.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2011, 10:37:43 AM »
If you mean something like this, yes.

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2011, 10:45:10 AM »

I havn't wont have a chance to check the demo out for a few hours, but I had the Propaint1 low ice speed jump in mind.  When you speed up on the ice then hit the ramp do you just stop if you are not holding down jump?

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2011, 10:57:36 AM »
Yes, but you don't stop completely. It's more like you will slow down to the normal walk/run speed.

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2011, 11:52:30 AM »
Yes, but you don't stop completely. It's more like you will slow down to the normal walk/run speed.

I don't like that at all.  Please don't change this Jitspoe..

Some of these changes are nice but they are not doing anything to attract more players, or to keep the new players playing.  If anything changes like this will make the game less appealing for experienced players.

What happened to the feature vote?

Why not fix the scoreboard, add the ability to create an account in game, fix the darn in game server list?  List goes on.

You are changing things that only experienced players will notice.  Most of whom don't like changes.

The rest of the changes seem great.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2011, 12:59:23 PM »
You are changing things that only experienced players will notice.

Everyone will notice the new movement physics. It fixes bugs, makes the movement smoother, makes jumping easier for new players and make new jumps possible for experienced players. So there is something for everyone. Wait until jitspoe releases a pretest and test it a few days (not 2 minutes).

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2011, 01:53:51 PM »
What would happen if you didnt press jump after the first jump? You would lose all gained speed and just continue walking with normal speed?

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2011, 02:34:21 PM »
Yes.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2011, 04:12:04 PM »
It will require some practice tho i think this update is a good one(if you dont include sky gliding fix :P ).
What about this(demo<<)?
Am i able to slide the bridge with just holding space or do i have to press jump everytime angle changes? Because the bridge brushes's angles differes. So it counts as one slide or ...?

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2011, 04:20:17 PM »
Jesus... after watching those demos I hate these changes 10x more.  Why not just automatically give everyone a dj script while your at it. Or just make the paintballs the size of tennis balls so that new players can aim easier.
 Jumping takes skill and practice and you are turning it into a joke.   You shouldn't be making jumping easier because somebody made a map that has bad stairs or a ramp that is too steep.    

That jump in the castle1 video ...  And being able to glide along the ceiling.... Ridiculous!!  I can't even find the words to describe how bad I think this update will be.  There is no way I that will be updating my servers to this.

I really don't understand why you insist on changing major gameplay jitspoe.... Happened a few years ago when you changed the ball speed and the north American community suffered because of it.  Why can't you just leave the gameplay that everyone loves alone and work on improving things that people actually want?

Toxiic

• Autococker
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2011, 04:38:18 PM »
i agree with superman

Jumping is a skill in this game ( which i love ) Aiming is a skill ( like the physics about the game ) making it easy will just make the game more dull.

jamal

• PGP
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2011, 05:11:07 PM »
Gotta agree with Superman on the fact that things that get changed aren't what will help this game. But, your game, your choice.

Why do you think this game is still alive even though it's nowhere near the same quality visually as most games these days? It's not because it's easy on computers, cause it lags more players than a lot of visually-appealing games. So, if people are staying knowing there's prettier games out there, why is it? Well that's pretty obvious dontcha think? It's because the gameplay is so fun!

Now lets look at why players don't stay... would you really suggest it's because they "struggled to get good" ? (I have never just been amazing off the start of any game) Or is it because DP (especially with default textures on download), is ugly, gives bad FPS, and some more criticisms.

So if changing stuff that keeps your current community around doesn't seem logical, does it? Shouldn't you do stuff to keep or attract new players? Jumping is the main aspect that seperates good and bad players, anyone can spray in a 1hitkill game. By making jumping easy, you make the current competitive scene die a little more, and it still doesn't attract new players. Now this being said, I haven't watched any demo's but somebody explained the c1 jump to me, and I'm judging a lot of it off posts I've read.

What's important? Attracting people? Or changing it how you see fit? It's your game, but you don't play a lot and if you truly want to see it grow, you should take the opinions of those who actively play. (featurevotes)

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2011, 04:07:36 AM »
Isn't it fun to relearn everything again?  Puts everyone in square one, and we're all newbs again.  More fun than playing the same maps over and over again.  With all the negative feedback so far, I'd at least like it to be implemented as a server side setting if possible.

Myers, what attracts new players is them being able to play at a standard CLOSE to what you players can do, not see you fly all these jumps and go wtf, hows that possible?  I do however agree to the fact that having different game play may attract other players because its different from all the games like COD and Battlefield, but I reckon either way, players will still keep coming.

Toxiic

• Autococker
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2011, 03:51:39 PM »

Myers, what attracts new players is them being able to play at a standard CLOSE to what you players can do, not see you fly all these jumps and go wtf, hows that possible?  I do however agree to the fact that having different game play may attract other players because its different from all the games like COD and Battlefield, but I reckon either way, players will still keep coming.

Myers??? where?

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2011, 04:40:15 PM »
It will require some practice tho i think this update is a good one(if you dont include sky gliding fix :P ).
What about this(demo<<)?
Am i able to slide the bridge with just holding space or do i have to press jump everytime angle changes? Because the bridge brushes's angles differes. So it counts as one slide or ...?

jitspoe changed the sky gliding, so you need to hold down the jump key to sky glide now.
Demo: It looks like you can slide, but i don't know how you jump and slide exactly. The jump from the demo is possible.

Myles

• VM-68
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2011, 10:49:59 PM »
it really doesn't matter to us. cuz we've wanked every clan so far without even jumping.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2011, 04:50:40 AM »
Myers??? where?
Where else?  Somewhere over there....  oh wait, thats deictic, maybe i should be more specific.  He posted a couple of posts ago.  Oh dear, anaphoric reference.  Myers posted a few posts ago.  He also used a large number of lexemes, a fair few compound-complex sentences, mostly declarative sentence structures, mind you I did notice some interrogatives.  Help?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2011, 10:15:31 AM »
The thing that sets this game apart from others is the player movement physics, so why not embrace that and improve upon it instead of keeping the old code that was not actually designed to have strafe jumping/double jumping and in fact had several things that prevented it from working smoothly?  It's not like I'm adding rocket packs or auto-jumping.  It's just more consistent.  This does help new players, as it makes the movement even more fluid.  You're not randomly losing control on ramps and unable to jump in places you'd expect to be able to.  What, specifically, bothers you about these changes?

As T3RR0R15T mentioned, I've addressed the concerns about sky gliding and not being able to bounce down hills.  You won't sky glide unless you're holding the jump key down, and if you move down a hill while holding the jump key, you'll bounce like the old-style physics instead of moving smoothly.  Pretty simple.

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2011, 10:53:06 AM »
I like these tweaks.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2011, 01:50:32 PM »