Author Topic: Another Idea to help "our" Clanscene  (Read 5901 times)

MosEz

• Autococker
Another Idea to help "our" Clanscene
« on: August 29, 2012, 07:11:15 AM »
We all had some ideas to help "our" game but nothing really worked.
After coming back to this game, I pubed some days and I realized, there are some new guys around, who are making some little teams, but they do not really know how to match, getting a match server or knowing something about the clanscene.

to my idea:
1. step: Every server needs the global login system. (There are some speed servers which do not have this.)
2. step: Its possible that we are losing some guys, because they do not want to register but I hope some guys want to register and gonna work with my idea.
3. step: If you want to register you need to go to as everybody knows http://dplogin.com/index.php?action=createaccount.
4. step: After you registered you have to activate your account. -> Now you are ready to play and thats the mistake in my eyes.
5. step: There should be some notice for using mIRC.
For example: When you want to activate your account on http://dplogin.com/index.php?action=activateaccount you should get a link for mIRC (on this side or via eMail) or some easy guide for using mIRC. (What is mIRC?, do i need it?, how can I use it?   Because I think no new players check the forums.)

I hope new guys gonna download mIRC and see the clanscene.

There should be also some links on the activate side for our matchservers (OTB, eR33t, Superman).

The guys should see, there is a clanscene in this game. They need some advertisment for it. I dont know if its possible, but also an idea is to send an email to all players how to use mIRC or something like an tournament reminder. (For example: PBcup 2012 will start in 2 months on .../.../2012. Do you want to play with a team? Register here -> ... )

I hope I get some constructive criticism.

gz meini/mosez

Foxhound

• Autococker
Re: Another Idea to help "our" Clanscene
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 08:28:15 AM »
I found it disturbing that you pubed for a few days and told us about it. Other than that it's a decent idea.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 01:05:27 PM »
It's the same like each clan scene thread. The players should have a global login account and IRC (not mIRC :P). But you already said it. That never worked in the past, so why should it work now? Also, IRC is dead. I'm there almost each day and nothing happens. Find something else that the players want to use, not need to use.

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 03:26:09 PM »
terrorist. Im on irc all day. I never see you...

rockitude

• Committee Member
  • 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 03:55:29 PM »
Foxhound he is idling in IRC often, just check the channels #paintball and #otb.

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 04:58:52 PM »
otb has no one in it, and I don't idle paintball. He's talking about the clans on irc being non existent. My argument is, he doesn't idle in a clan channel to notice what goes on.

Don't get me wrong, OTB (chef and terrorist) have done a lot for this game, but as far as clan scene goes, not so much as to being able to throw out opinions like that.

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 09:02:31 PM »
Jitspoe has had the scrim requests disabled in #paintball for a long time because he got annoyed by them...

Other than that there's really no directory for clans, but none the less, the clan channels still get used.

MosEz

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 04:45:52 AM »
Also, IRC is dead. I'm there almost each day and nothing happens. Find something else that the players want to use, not need to use.
He's talking about the clans on irc being non existent. My argument is, he doesn't idle in a clan channel to notice what goes on.

I know that OTB did a lot in this game but the clanscene was not your best part. I dont want to blame your guys but there are some other guys in this game who know a bit more about the clanscene.
The problem is that the "new clans" dont even know something about IRC, so they cant take part and make an own channel.
I remember when I was a newbie in this game I just knew the 2 big german teams but someday I joined an american team and they showed me IRC with krew, er33t, prozak, GT and all those others and I was like woah.. There are a lot of teams which you dont even knew. You have seen mappers and names which you only knew from hearing and you felt like something little in this big community.
And thats the problem, noone of the new guys know something about it.

You know that everyone started with no knowledge about this game. I bet you just started to play on a random serv, pubbed some rounds and enjoyed it. Then you have seen some clanmember, spoke to him if you can take part and you joined it. And someday someone gave you an info about IRC and you said to yourself "well lets see what it is."
But today noone is talking to each other. Its just speedspawn in 5 sec and you cant even talk to someone. Did anyone tried to find a match on a speedserver? I tried... its impossible.You dont even check that someone said someting. Its everytime "guy1 killed with a carbine guy2. guy2 respawned"
So some advertisment at the biggining of a Digital Paintball life would help. Or just close those meddling speedservers. In the past the spawntime of 60sec or 30sec worked fine aswell and we had more matches and teams...

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 09:16:45 AM »
Speed servers have slowly took a toll on matching as well. When I left last time 3-4 years ago there were 1-2 speed servers. I returned this past Feb to ALMOST EVERY PUB SERVER BEING A SPEED. The newbies think this is what pball was. 60 seconds was the way for YEARS. The newbies don't understand that when they try to match.

Also about mIRC, its still active some what. Terrorist just idles in two channels where no one speaks. In my channel, #prozak there is plenty of people who talk/ask to match and play actively. mIRC should come with paintball, with a tutorial on how to register an account and chanserv/channel commands.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 10:51:50 AM »
Maybe some clan channels are active, thats not bad.
I'm in the main channel of this game and that one is very very quiet. New players start here, so everybody should be there.

deadfroggy

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 03:34:10 PM »
The only channels most people go to is #supermanspub , #paintball. I usually go to:
#paintball, #clipzjumping, #pbmappers, #prozak, #supermanspub and most of the time its because i want help with something and half the time i do get an answer(after 20 minutes). I don't like matching its always the tryhards that win. :)

MosEz

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 03:37:10 PM »
I'm in the main channel of this game and that one is very very quiet. New players start here, so everybody should be there.

Well okay but the advertisment should be better organized. There should be an IRC Helper team, so new guys can contact them.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 11:44:51 AM »
Maybe some clan channels are active, thats not bad.

#paintball is filled with people who rarely play the game, the only thing that goes on in that channel is random convos not related to paintball, new players (usually brazilian) who come in say "hey i need help" and d/c within a minute, the ones who stay get trolled, or sometimes you get lucky enough to catch one of toxiic's 100 accounts spamming the channel. Yeah, everyone should idle that. Doesn't even show scrim requests. I come on IRC for the competitive scene, #paintball doesn't do anything for that. And nobody gets access, phuck favourites, I only do autojoins. Not enough promising new people come into it to bother trying to help them.

I don't like matching its always the tryhards that win. :)

They aren't try hards, they're just better then you. Basically you're saying you don't match because everyone else is better, so you're just avoiding getting better. I guess every game needs those dedicated pubbers.

Olbaid

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 11:46:17 AM »
#team_cc for pros only.

Whaley

• VM-68
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2012, 01:00:06 PM »
#team_cc for pros only.
dystro should probally leave

deadfroggy

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2012, 02:55:10 PM »

They aren't try hards, they're just better then you. Basically you're saying you don't match because everyone else is better, so you're just avoiding getting better. I guess every game needs those dedicated pubbers.
pretty much.

MosEz

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2012, 05:44:52 AM »
looks like noone of the developers is interested..

UnRateD

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2012, 09:21:29 PM »
Only person Ive seen willing to help out new players on irc is superman (although i havent been on for a couple months). Youre overrating how useful newer players will find irc, but its a good idea.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2012, 01:54:59 PM »
I don't think forcing people to register will help much.  It's just going to create a bunch of unused accounts from the people that try the game once and never come back, or worse yet, a lot of people won't even try because they don't want to bother registering an account.

On the IRC side, I think it would be kind of cool to include a lightweight IRC client somehow to help encourage players to use it, but I'm afraid it would cause the game to get flagged as a virus because virus scanners are pieces of crap.

The biggest problem with getting players into the clan scene, I think, is the skill gap.  You can't really expect new players to match up against people that have been playing for 10 years and stand a chance.  Regardless of how good a game is, if you're going against players that are just going to completely dominate you, it isn't fun.  I'm not really sure what to do about that.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2012, 03:41:47 PM »
The biggest problem with getting players into the clan scene, I think, is the skill gap.  You can't really expect new players to match up against people that have been playing for 10 years and stand a chance.  Regardless of how good a game is, if you're going against players that are just going to completely dominate you, it isn't fun.  I'm not really sure what to do about that.

They wont stand a chance, but can they expect to? Isn't every game the same? You're not going to start a game and beat top teams, there's a huge skill gap. But there is a noticeable difference between DP and other games, (there are weak teams that could be beaten by new players in any game) - but, new players to DP come in completely blind, they don't know what to expect. Youtube videos are usually awful quality, and super fast with some random fluke shot etc... Forums aren't really useful, #paintball isn't very useful.

Tutorial map / videos will help this, because new players will at least get a basic idea on the jumping, instead of going: "HOW DO YOU FLY?!?!" - they will comprehend how the game works and know how to work on it.

A main-page gameplay/introduction video to the game would help too. It also let's new players know what to expect. (Maybe even a library of these videos, with different sections that can show different common maps etc..). Don't know, just things that remove them coming into the game blind.

HR4 Textures ON DOWNLOAD! This not only keeps players around because of the look, but also reduces the advantage of new players to older players. You can see models MUCH easier with good quality textures.

Something with IRC or built in friendlist type thing - let's new players have a way of communicating with each other - let's them integrate with competitive players (If IRC) and also let's them get instant responses to their questions. But right now, nobody pays attention to #paintball, because nobody uses it other than toxiic's 100 multiple accounts.

UPDATE THE WEBSITE! Make the FAQ's easier to find. Add FAQ's like: How do I reduce lag? (and many other things). Give them a easier to find resource, because if they post something on forums that has been asked before, they will get flamed, not helped, for not using 'search'. Let them find common questions. Also, using search finds more flaming threads than useful ones.

You can't remove the skill difference between new and old players, but you can certainly make it less of a problem. There's a lot of things that can be done to improve the game, and that will take a long time to do, but I think the way to integrate new players into the competitive scene starts with letting them know what the game is about, before they start the game.