Author Topic: Paintball 2 Project/Solution file(s) won't Upgrade.  (Read 8561 times)

Narga

• 68 Carbine
Paintball 2 Project/Solution file(s) won't Upgrade.
« on: September 18, 2012, 04:42:15 PM »
Whenever I try to upgrade the Paintball 2 project/solution file(s) I get a whole bunch of errors, not just when upgrading, but when compiling/building/debugging as well.

I tried just upgrading the solution file, but Visual Studio complains that I need to migrate the project files.

The version of Visual Studio I'm using is Visual Studio 2012 (Express Edition).

Edit: I've attached the migration log.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 06:35:30 PM by Narga »

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Re: Paintball 2 Project/Solution file(s) won't Upgrade.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 06:10:07 PM »
2008 and 2010 express editions work, so maybe get one of those installed as well and try using that. Also, post the errors. You will probably need to install the DirectX SDK and libpng/zlib to get paintball to compile, also either install libvorbis/libvorbisfile or disable the ENABLE_OGG define.

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 06:33:55 PM »
2008 and 2010 express editions work, so maybe get one of those installed as well and try using that. Also, post the errors. You will probably need to install the DirectX SDK and libpng/zlib to get paintball to compile, also either install libvorbis/libvorbisfile or disable the ENABLE_OGG define.

OK, here's the migration log. I've attached it to this post and the original post.

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 03:04:24 PM »
Also, I've tried Visual Studio 2010, that didn't work.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 04:49:29 PM »
Which file are you trying to open?

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 05:49:21 PM »
Which file are you trying to open?

paintball2.sln.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 08:24:25 AM »
That's the old VC6.0 project.  Open the vcproj file instead.

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 04:00:33 PM »
That's the old VC6.0 project.  Open the vcproj file instead.

Do you mean open paintball2.vcproj with Visual Studio 2012 or only migrate paintball2.vcproj? When I do the former I still get a whole ton of errors. When I do the latter then I have to migrate the solution file as well but I only get warnings when migrating and only one warning and one error when compiling.

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 08:48:47 PM »
Also, post the errors. You will probably need to install the DirectX SDK and libpng/zlib to get paintball to compile, also either install libvorbis/libvorbisfile or disable the ENABLE_OGG define.

Do you mean open paintball2.vcproj with Visual Studio 2012 or only migrate paintball2.vcproj? When I do the former I still get a whole ton of errors. When I do the latter then I have to migrate the solution file as well but I only get warnings when migrating and only one warning and one error when compiling.

Would doing both of these solve the problem?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 04:15:48 PM »
Posting the errors won't solve the problem, but it will give us a clue as to how to help you solve it.

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 05:23:25 PM »
Posting the errors won't solve the problem, but it will give us a clue as to how to help you solve it.

I was talking about Installing the DirectX SDK, libpng, etc.

I've attached the migration log I got when only migrating the solution and paintball2.vcproj.

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 09:39:13 PM »
I would install the things that ViciouZ mentioned and install Visual Studio 2010. It's just that uninstalling Visual 11 (Professional) (beta) was a pain because instead of automatically uninstalling all the files, it just uninstalls one file so I have to uninstall the rest one at a time.

I'm scared that if I install Visual Studio 2010 and the things ViciouZ mentioned and they don't work I would have to go through the same, painful uninstallation process I went through for Visual Studio 11 (professional) (beta).

Uninstalling Visual Studio 2010, DirectX SDK, libpng, and libvorbis one at a time is OK, but uninstalling Visual Studio 2010, Microsoft SQL Server 2010 Command Line Utilities, Microsoft .NET Framework 4, Microsoft System CLR Types for SQL Server 2010, etc. one at a time is ridiculous.

Also, when I uninstalled Visual Studio 11 (professional) (beta) and installed Visual Studio 2012 (express), it said it was going to install Visual Studio 2012 (express) onto my other hard drive when it would normally install Visual Studio onto my C drive. What's even weirder is that I couldn't change the directory.

I got the feeling that I did not completely uninstall Visual Studio 11 (professional) (beta).

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2012, 10:18:42 PM »
I installed Visual C++ 2010 and the upgrade log I got is included in the attached .zip file. I don't know if you can properly view it though.

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 11:01:57 AM »
I installed the DirectX SDK. I think I have less errors when compiling. For some reason, the upgrade log complains that it can't find paintball.vcproj and gamex86 is unavailable.

On the bright side! I finally got the compiler log! I couldn't get it earlier because it wouldn't be created for some reason. Since it's a text file it should be visible in any text editor you want (I hope).

Unfortunately, I can't attach it to my post so you'll have to extract it from this .zip folder.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 12:47:45 PM »
You can ignore the paintball.vcproj / gamex86 warning.

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2012, 01:43:01 PM »
I downloaded libpng/zlib and libvorbis. I looked in the downloaded archives and noticed source files. Did I download the right file/archive?

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2012, 04:47:09 PM »
Yup. Now extract them somewhere and add the "include" directories to your vc++ directory settings. google can probably help you with that.

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2012, 10:16:09 PM »
Now I keep getting a error that says "TargetPath does not match the Linker's OutputFile property value. This may cause your project to build incorrectly. To correct this, please make sure that $(OutDir), $(TargetName) and $(TargetExt) property values match the value specified in %(Link.OutputFile)."

How can I fix that?

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2012, 10:23:23 PM »
After this you should throw together a little guide for others on how to do this ;)

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2012, 10:10:03 AM »
I managed to find, download, and install Visual C++ 2008 (Express Edition). I didn't get that stupid "TargetPath does not match the Linker's OutputFile property value. This may cause your project to build incorrectly. To correct this, please make sure that $(OutDir), $(TargetName), and $(TargetExt) property values match the value specified in %(Link.OutputFile)" error when compiling.

Although I didn't get prompted to upgrade, I do remember getting an error of some sort but Visual Studio managed to open the project anyway.

Is there a certain version of DirectX SDK I need or can I just download the latest version?