Author Topic: This is why I hate steam...  (Read 3915 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
This is why I hate steam...
« on: December 11, 2012, 10:36:53 PM »
Need to rant.  It's been 30 minutes, and I still haven't been able to get into a TF2 match.

First it tells me it needs to validate files, then steam updates itself and it has to restart, then it has to validate files again, then it shoves ads in my face, then it finishes validating files, then it has to validate files again (3 times, really?).  Then it tells me the servers are too busy to process my request.

When I finally get in the game, it's trying to do some matchmaking crap and it's not finding anything.  What happened to just opening a game, finding a server from the browser, and playing?

I'm giving up for the night.  I experience crap like this almost every time I try to use a steam game.

Foxhound

• Autococker
Re: This is why I hate steam...
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 11:07:30 PM »
ummmmmmmmmmmm, from experience........ it shouldn't be doing what you just described above. Try defraging game files (in steam library, right click the game, properties.... you got it from there) should stop the constant validation and fix the search.

But you know.. there is a way to join a game by a server list :P

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 07:12:31 AM »
Lately everyone has had to either validate their files or defragment them before tf2 will run.   So it having to validate twice is inconvenient but it makes sense.  It should never validate a third time unless you restarted steam or didn't let the second one finish.  The validation process is usually pretty fast.

Steam and TF2 both have server browsers built in, so you can connect to a server without having to launch TF2 first.  TBH you shouldn't use the matchmaking, it will never be as good as finding a good server with nice people and adding it to your favourites.  Your favourites/blacklist can be accessed through the steam server browser also.

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 06:24:19 PM »
Then it tells me the servers are too busy to process my request.

Maybe there's a huge update/event going on.

I remember when the Mann Vs Machine update just came out. It took forever to download the update. When TF2 did update it took forever to join a public MVM server. The quickest way to join a MVM server was to search for one using the in game server browser.

Mann Vs. Machine was more like Mann Vs. Matchmaking.

A little while after the update came out, it became easier to join a MVM server using the co-op matchmaking feature.

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 07:13:14 PM »
its the stupid steam clouds fault.

gonass

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 06:13:27 PM »
Blame Canada.

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 10:06:12 PM »
I installed the Linux version of Steam on Ubuntu. When TF2 finally downloaded, it was very slow.

So I guessed it was because I needed drivers for my graphics card.

So I downloaded the closed source unified Nvidia driver.

I got a error saying that I need to stop the X server, so I typed "sudo stop lightdm", then I got a message saying that on some Linux distros, the installer can automaticaly modify a file to disable the Nouveau graphics driver. So I did that, then it said that I need to restart my computer.

After restarting my computer, when ever I press Ctrl + Alt + F1 - F6, I get a blank screen and when I type "sudo stop lightdm" into the terminal, Ubuntu crashes after I enter my password.

I heard that the blank screen problem when pressing Ctrl + Alt + F1 - F6 can be solved by opening the terminal and typing "sudo sed -i -e 's/#GRUB_TERMINAL/GRUB_TERMINAL/g' /etc/default/grub" then typing "sudo update-grub".

When I restart my computer, I only get a black and white boot screen and I only get a flashing underscore when I press Ctrl + Alt + F1 - F6.

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 08:00:26 AM »
I installed the Linux version of Steam on Ubuntu.

there's your problem

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 09:54:41 AM »
just install the drivers with jockey like a normal person

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 10:11:21 AM »
just install the drivers with jockey like a normal person

Where do I get that?

there's your problem

I thought the only Linux distro Steam is for is Ubuntu.

I think I forgot to mention something. Befor I installed the graphics drivers, I entered this command into the terminal:

sudo apt-get --purge remove xserver-xorg-video-nouveau

IDK if that's relevant or not.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 10:38:27 AM »
jockey is the built in restricted drivers tool, should do everything for you unless you've been playing around with the x settings

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2012, 10:41:00 AM »
jockey is the built in restricted drivers tool, should do everything for you unless you've been playing around with the x settings

I'll give it a shot, hopefully that isn't the file the graphics card driver installer modified.

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2012, 04:10:15 PM »
I just decided to reinstall Ubuntu.

When I installed Ubuntu again, instead of using Jockey, I typed "sudo apt-get install nvidia-current". Now I get a low resolution.

How do I set the resolution to my monitor's native resolution?

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2012, 05:58:07 PM »
I realized that "sudo apt-get install nvidia-current" isn't Jockey.

So I found Jockey in the software center. After installing the Nvidia driver, it told me that it failed to install the driver. I rebooted my computer and nothing shows on my desktop.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2012, 10:34:36 PM »
It's also worth noting that I hate linux.

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2012, 01:31:24 PM »
I realized what the problem was.

Instead of using the older version of Ubuntu with LTS (12.04.1), I was using the latest version (12.10).

When I finished installing Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS, It told me that graphics card drivers were available. There were about 4 options.

To use steam, you have to install the latest experimental version (310) of the graphics driver if you're using an Nvidia graphics card.

TF2 is working fine now.