Author Topic: Neon: Final Release  (Read 42013 times)

deadfroggy

• Autococker
Re: NEON: Final Release is probably not final!
« Reply #100 on: June 23, 2013, 06:50:46 AM »
Hint brushes. But... I dont know how to do them cusoman might tell you.

omni

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #101 on: June 23, 2013, 07:55:16 AM »
Hint brushes may not help because the map is so open its more a design flaw (no offence baseballdude) you can see from one end of the map to the other by adding in hint brushes you would only increase the amount of lag because more brushes are being rendered.

That is one of the things I will do, problem is I'm not sure what I should do to fix r_speeds without changing gameplay too much. Any ideas anyone?

Without changing game-play to much,

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #102 on: June 24, 2013, 09:46:15 AM »
Did you try turning your gamma down like I suggested?  I think an important thing is getting light on the ground.  That helps with seeing the paths, and lighting the other players (entity brightness is determined by the ground below them).  You might try doing strips of white light along the ground so you can keep the overall dark visuals, but have enough light in the appropriate locations to see well.

As for the r_speeds, I wouldn't be too worried about changing the gameplay.  Granted, I haven't actually play tested it, but I don't think it would play that well as-is.  I think you could actually make it play better by blocking off those long sight lines.

Did you watch my demo?

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #103 on: June 24, 2013, 05:57:09 PM »
I watched the demo, and I appreciate all the feedback. However, I tested this map with brighter lighting on several different occasions and gameplay went well pretty much every single time.

That idea about putting smaller white lights on the ground is actually a really good idea. I think I will try that just to see how it goes.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
Re: Neon Beta 8: Removed Lag and Altered Gameplay
« Reply #104 on: July 13, 2013, 11:17:25 AM »
Neon Beta 8 is here! I have changed the gameplay and added vis blockers to get rid of the high r_speeds (it only took 6 seconds to vis!). I have removed paths that I thought were unnecessary. I have added lights at the bottom in some areas, please give me feedback on that and the rest of the map. Download it below:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByutPv2Z36izUngyaWxhbkJTUE0/edit?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 09:00:29 AM by BASEBALLDUDE »

omni

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #105 on: July 13, 2013, 04:26:14 PM »
Looks so much better than it did, haven't had time to play it so I can't comment on that, I'll see if we can get |210| to match on it and see how it plays out. Good Job

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #106 on: July 15, 2013, 05:49:57 PM »
More feedback please. Thanks omni, but I would like opinions from multiple people so I can get a better understanding of what I need to do in the next beta or final version if everyone likes it.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
Re: Neon Beta 9: Changed gameplay and no lag
« Reply #107 on: July 16, 2013, 04:59:34 PM »
Sorry for the rushed new beta but I found some bugs on beta 8 so I made beta 9, which is mostly just a bug fix from beta 8.

Please give me feedback because it is I value your opinion and you have the potential to influence my next beta release of this map, or final if you think everything is fine and dandy.

Download it here: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByutPv2Z36izeWdfOWlKay1sTG8/edit?usp=sharing

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #108 on: July 17, 2013, 10:59:52 PM »
Looks much much better with the increased brightness.
Most of the things that need fixing are just misaligned textures.

Top barrels' textures need fixing.

Probably should rotate the slope's texture.

Alas! The pain of having perfectly aligned textures on a tilted box. Nice try.

Derp.

I didn't check both bases for the above misaligned textures, so you should double check them.

---

Suggestions:

You definitely should add a clip brush here, as players can get stuck quite easily on the slanted support column and/or the wall corner if they're going at top speed.

This corner looks kind of awkward, as nothing's actually attached to each other or to the floor.

I'm not sure if you intended this, but players can hop onto the glowing strip and walk across to the bridge on the right side of the screen.

Overall in terms of aesthetics, nice job. The flowing water in the fountain also looks much more natural. I have no idea how the gameplay is though.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #109 on: July 18, 2013, 06:56:53 PM »
Thanks musickid999! Anyone else gonna give me feedback please?

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #110 on: July 21, 2013, 09:51:53 AM »
Sorry for double posting. I'm gonna be gone for two weeks so when I come back I'm going to use all feedback posted to make a final release of neon.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #111 on: August 02, 2013, 02:22:03 PM »
Have a look at the barrels and boxes, there are some more texture misalignments. There is also one side of a glass box, that looks like there is no colored glass.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #112 on: August 05, 2013, 11:51:52 PM »
I think your neon logo (and a lot of other areas in the map) could look better if they were thinner with a white core and a colored outer area, like the image I have attached.  I would also consider moving the logo or light so you don't have the light directly on top of something that's supposed to be glowing -- kind of kills the effect.

Don't have time to look at it in depth right now, but I've uploaded beta 9 to the beta server.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #113 on: August 06, 2013, 08:04:04 AM »
Thanks for your feedback, I think the final release is in sight!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 09:33:37 AM by BASEBALLDUDE »

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #114 on: August 19, 2013, 09:34:36 AM »
So is texture misalignments on barrels and crates the only thing I need to do before releasing the final? Please tell me what you think.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #115 on: August 19, 2013, 10:08:35 AM »
Fix all the things, release a new beta and if noone can find a new bug: rename the last beta to final.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
Re: Neon Beta 10: Almost Final
« Reply #116 on: September 09, 2013, 09:36:34 PM »
Neon Beta 10 is now here! It's been a while because I have been focusing mostly on New York, but I finally got around to fixing the textures and such. Make sure to tell me if there's anything you want to see changed; if not, the next release could be final.

Download: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByutPv2Z36izNXJ1RHJGbzkwZnM/edit?usp=sharing

Note: The download link also includes New York beta 2. Feel free to give me feedback on both maps to ensure that your voice gets heard.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #117 on: September 10, 2013, 10:20:07 PM »
I'm not sure what all you changed, but I found it way more difficult to see people in this version.  You might want to make the light next to the ground white instead of colored, and maybe a bit brighter.  It's impossible to tell team colors with such strong colored lighting.  This map almost needs some kind of custom setting to make the players have neon glowy bits, too, then maybe it wouldn't be a problem. :)

I'd also suggest altering your custom purple neon color to be closer to that of the default textures.  It looks a bit off now...

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #118 on: September 11, 2013, 08:19:39 AM »
Oh I know what the problem was, I switched my wal textures so that I could work on New York and I forgot to switch them back.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
Re: Neon Beta 11: Almost Final!
« Reply #119 on: September 16, 2013, 05:37:58 PM »
Neon Beta 11 is here! This update makes gameplay and aesthetics a little better.

Beta 11:
-Modified the 2nd flag area so it's more accessible and there are no dead ends
-Made the ice more colorful (you'll see what I mean if you play this map)
-Slightly brighter neon blue lights, IMO looks much better than before
-Slightly brighter lighting overall
-Removed brush-created grate that might have been adding to the r_speeds and replaced it with a chainllink fence. It's behind the waterfall.
-Moved a rampway that nobody ever uses to the side so it's not blocking the pathway
-Made strobe lights at end of game less buggy and not entity dependent

A few things:
-You need the latest version of the BASEBALLDUDE texture pack because of the updated neonblue texture and the new strobe texture. It should come with the download link, so just unzip it to the Paintball2 directory and choose to copy and replace the hr4/neonblue.jpg file. Or you could do it manually, whatever your preference is. There is no HR4 texture for "strobe.png" because it wouldn't make any difference.
-You might also notice that the style I used for coloring the ice is different for each team's side. This is because after experimentation, I found that the purple style looks horrible when blue and vice versa.

Neon Beta 11: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByutPv2Z36izWDk5Nk5RTzFqX0k/edit?usp=sharing

Please upload to the beta server and make sure to give me feedback!