Author Topic: Map Causes Game To Crash  (Read 6355 times)

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
Map Causes Game To Crash
« on: October 27, 2013, 09:57:08 AM »
I am getting my next map ready for its next beta release and I have encountered a problem: The game crashes every time I try to test this map! I had MAX_PATCHES, which is why it's unlit, but this shouldn't stop the game from crashing, right? So then I tried a simple qbsp vis.bat, which also caused the game to crash. There were no compiling errors aside from mixed face contents, which is also very mysterious because I tried the mixed face contents search and it didn't find anything.

I have my map and bsp files below; if you're good/experienced at mapping, I would be simply delighted if you could look at the map file and see what's wrong.

Map: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByutPv2Z36izYkJFdmNrUVV5ZFU/edit?usp=sharing

Bsp: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByutPv2Z36izWi1seFFOQ08yWTA/edit?usp=sharing

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Re: Map Causes Game To Crash
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 09:59:37 AM »
I have my map and bsp files attached...

Where?

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 10:00:49 AM »
Where?
Sorry; the files were too big so I linked them.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 11:14:33 AM »
ok, line 1473 in gl_rsurf.c makes a problem.
Code: [Select]
(*mark)->visframe = r_framecount;

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 03:33:10 PM »
Did you detail things in the map? Usualy when i detail it will fix this issue or sometimes the textures are too small meaning 1:1 so i make them 2:1 and it works.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 07:14:50 AM »
ok, line 1473 in gl_rsurf.c makes a problem.
Code: [Select]
(*mark)->visframe = r_framecount;
What does that code do and where shall I enter it?

what problem specifically does line 1473 make? And is that line referring to the x, y, or z axis?

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 11:24:20 AM »
Thats an information for jitspoe. You can't do anything with it.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 11:29:30 AM »
OK. I'll try to detail some more brushes and rescale some textures. Hopefully it will work.

I'll also try to solve the mixed face contents error. I'm busy with homework though, so maybe I'll get around to it in November once I'm done trick or treating.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 09:15:13 PM »
Is it OK to seal your map with detailed brushes? It doesn't report the "leaked" problem, and it was working fine before I copied and pasted the other side of the map, but maybe that's the issue.

What could also be causing the issue: improper placement of hint brushes. My map is very dependent upon the correct placement of hint brushes for it to function right; maybe I misplaced a few hint brushes. (I'm still relatively new to hint brushes and where to put them.)

Chef-Killer

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 10:42:11 AM »
To fix the max_patches_error...

Try to scale up the non-visible textures to sx 100 and sy 100 (e.g. skybrushes, clipbrushes, hintbrushes, basebrushes).
Try the normal final compile, no fast vis and no high quality final compile.

If that doesn't help, change chop and/or texture size of the visible textures (e.g. gras, ground, wall, rocks).

I'll have a look at the mapfile soon.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 11:14:07 AM by Chef-Killer »

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 11:17:35 AM »
Thanks y'all.

I'm going to try scaling up some textures, detail brushes, and add more hint brushes. If that doesn't work, I might do what they did in banliue and just paste a strip of light texture. Hopefully I won't have to do that though cause I'm trying to be original.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 11:26:04 PM »
Looks like it might be a bug in the vis compiler.  Something is just not right in the data.

As far as using detail goes, you should use detail on pretty much everything that doesn't block visibility (lights, barrels, crates, etc).  Solid walls and such should not be detail.

What detail does is stop the vis stage from breaking the map up into little spaces based off of those brushes.

Using detail on brushes that seal the map may have unpredictable behavior, so I would avoid it.  I don't think it will cause a problem per se, but it may prevent sections  of the map that are sealed by those brushes to not have appropriate vis info, and you may end up drawing large portions of the map from those areas (bad for performance).

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 12:56:20 AM »
I was wrong.  The bug is actually in the game engine.  The number of surfaces is so large that it crossed over a signed/unsigned boundary and made what should be a positive number become negative.  I've fixed the crash for the next version.  I'm not sure if detailing stuff will help, or if you just have to cut down on the number of surfaces in general to get around the crash for the time being.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 08:46:42 AM »
Update: Gave brushes more detail and fixed mixed face contents, but still causes game to crash. I've linked the updated mapfile: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByutPv2Z36izLTBpeXY1TnNSZGM/edit?usp=sharing

It also says "MAX_PATCHES" even when I set chop or chopcurve to 128. I can understand that because of the size of this map, but I've seen seemingly bigger maps (like Discovery) properly lighted. Maybe my map just has too many surfaces for its own good.

My best guess is that I need to change where the hint brushes are. If anyone would like to take a look at my map to see what's wrong, feel free. But if you don't want to, I understand, you're probably pretty busy too.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 09:36:33 AM by BASEBALLDUDE »

Chef-Killer

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 11:49:07 AM »
I think for discovery I scaled up ground and rock textures a little bit and played a bit with the chop value to light the map correct. But I don't remember the exact compiling settings offhand.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2013, 12:32:09 PM »
Problem solved. I made the sides of the building like those from banliue and made -chop and -chopcurve both to 128. I hope to release b4 soon.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2013, 04:23:58 PM »
Something to keep in mind is that the MAX_PATCHES is caused by overall texels (Quake pixels, basically), not necessarily the size of the map.  If you have a large, flat wall, it takes less light data to cover it than if you have a wall with lots of details like window frames and such.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2013, 07:11:19 PM »
Something to keep in mind is that the MAX_PATCHES is caused by overall texels (Quake pixels, basically), not necessarily the size of the map.  If you have a large, flat wall, it takes less light data to cover it than if you have a wall with lots of details like window frames and such.
Thanks for the help Jits. Here comes New York Beta 4!