Author Topic: PSP Port of Digital Paintball  (Read 7849 times)

Produkt

• PGP
PSP Port of Digital Paintball
« on: July 10, 2006, 10:17:39 AM »
Hello there, I'm a level designer for a homebrew Play Station Portable 3d engine called iris. The engine was built from the ground up for the psp with support for the quake 3 map files and Quake 2 MD2 files.

I would like to know if you wouldnt mind If I ported Digital Paintball to the engine. using the old MD2 models and some textures?

TinMan

• Autococker
Re: PSP Port of Digital Paintball
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 11:06:29 AM »
As you can see on these forums, ports of this game were never done because PC users would always have the advantage of the best control over the game, however the game is under GPL, so I'm sure nobody minds if you port it, I suggest modifing the game so that it would be easier to play on a system such as the psp though. Also, would it be online? Because paintball2 bots really suck, so you'd want to work on that if you were to make it a practical game for singleplayer.

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 11:17:02 AM »
DUDE OMG YOU ARE MY HERO. TY. I have wanted this ported to my psp for so long and with the new advances in downgraders this would rock. please do :)

Produkt

• PGP
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 11:24:19 AM »
Unfortunately this isnt a Pure Port

the PSP version wouldnt connect to the PC version in any way. and getting all the kinks worked out will take a bit of time.

I'll see about talking to the programmer about tweeking some of it today. the first release will be a field based off of the US Paintball Championship, field. a single marker simi auto only.

no ETA

Features List
- Marker: Simi Auto Tipmann 98 Custom
- Team DM
- 3 "Players" per team, (player with 5 bots)
- One map based of of the US Paintball Championship setup.

In the future multiplayer will be added but when Iris supports it.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 12:29:42 PM by Produkt »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 12:26:40 PM »
Sounds more like you're building it from the ground up than porting it, but feel free to use some of the models and stuff.  What license are you building the iris engine under?

Produkt

• PGP
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 12:32:53 PM »
The engine is currently closed source, (i'm not the original developer)

but in the future we hope to have the Iris engine, the Quake/HL of the PSP 3d engines most likely GPL but! modders can make the PSP's equivalent of dll's  if they want to have their mod closed source

any way here is just a little picture of the model on the psp (nice 60 cap from vsync)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 02:05:29 PM by Produkt »

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 02:18:21 PM »
always wanted to play dp on my psp :)

What firmware are you running? Hopefully i will be able to downgrade to 1.5 soon ;)

Produkt

• PGP
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 02:23:24 PM »
I'm on 1.5 always have been :P

First person is being worked on and alot of great things are to be in the first releaserelease number 2 we will begin to see multiple guns and CTF

after that if my good buddy has time to get crackin there will be a wifi multiplayer (no idea how yet)

::EDIT::

added a concept for the HUD
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 05:31:19 PM by Produkt »

JOE

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2006, 07:15:45 PM »
i like tha HUD a lot

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2006, 07:30:48 PM »
although if you do port it to psp, please dont take away from the way dp plays. The speed and anit-realism is the fun part.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2006, 07:43:58 PM »
I'm just wondering how you're going to strafe jump on a gamepad...

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2006, 07:57:06 PM »
Let alone have the gameplay be decent.

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2006, 07:59:28 PM »
I'm just wondering how you're going to strafe jump on a gamepad...

The same way you do with Quake 3 and UT on a DreamCast... you put lie on the buttons and then burn the shape of the buttons into your fingers, then you can do anything with those controls....or on the DreamCast specifically there's always that keyboard/mouse option for it on eBay...

Produkt

• PGP
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2006, 03:44:47 AM »
Well

Right now we are using a dual controle scheme to make the game fast paced and easy to controle wile still allowing those to slow down and camp in corners

some methods of attack are still being worked out but from my experience of actualy playing painball its not about being acurate is about shooting in their direction long enough for your team mate to sneek around and shoot the other player point blank. heh.

I'm having to rework the HUD, its going to get scaled down big time and the time/kill/win boxes will be removed and replaced by a line above at the top where they will be just text... I have to figure out a slightly cheaper way to make some of that...  it eats up to much video ram (we only have 2mb :( )

What do you guys think of a 3d hud!? I'm thinking because msot of the textures will already be in use it could save vram!! What do you think?

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2006, 10:13:06 AM »

i wouldent mind :)

GreenAffairz

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2006, 04:54:12 PM »
are you kidding me!!! i have been looking around for this. I got the Iris demo on my PSP :D will this work with the 2.0 eloader that I got from that Fanjita?? This looks sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Produkt

• PGP
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2006, 06:24:53 PM »
Yes this will work with the eboot loader.

Right now the only issue we are having is with the model format (still using md2...)

I would like to use entirely new content but at this time, I'm not sure if we will have time to animate everything in the weird MD2 style... (just so you know I hate it with a passion)

you will all just have to wait and see... tomarrow I will be going to alabama... I'll be bringing my laptop so maping and texture work will be going on. you will hear from me again on the 23rd

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2006, 06:59:47 PM »
iis there anything i could do to help? im decent with photshop and a fast learner :)

GreenAffairz

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2006, 07:50:33 PM »
on the Iris demo i played you could only walk around, there was no jumping.

Produkt

• PGP
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2006, 08:52:00 PM »
Bah just going to have to wait... learn how to code a little better, then maybe I can implement SKM.

bye every one!