Poll

How long can be saved a name by players they are never come back?

6 months
4 (10%)
1 year
4 (10%)
2 years
9 (22.5%)
3 years
1 (2.5%)
5 years
3 (7.5%)
10 years
2 (5%)
for ever
17 (42.5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: Dead Nicknames  (Read 12032 times)

Neoterra

• VM-68
Dead Nicknames
« on: February 09, 2014, 11:18:31 AM »
first: Sry for my english.

I think i am not alone with my wish to get a nick from a dead player.
I was waiting about 6 years to get this name but i have no chance.
I never saw this player :( to ask him self.

Other games deleted dead players after 1 year or 2 years. Why not here?

Of course i don´t want that other player can play this my name if i was ill or i need to break the game for one year.

But after 6 years i think he is never coming back.

SaWiX

• PGP
Re: Dead Nicknames
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 11:50:14 AM »
yes

BrainDamaged

• PGP
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 11:55:17 AM »
Not bad idea, but someone need to track dead accounts and delete them if the owner of account will never comeback. I vote for Yes.

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 12:04:46 PM »
This is like the 3rd or 4th thread about this theme I've seen being discussed in 2014. I suggest you use the search function before opening a new thread.

Neoterra

• VM-68
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 12:54:23 PM »
@pvtjimmy

Maybe you are right. But i searched for "nick" "nicks" "name" "names" "nickname" and "nicknames". Used advance search and old topics first. I go to the last two sides and looked for discussions.

found this one: http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=21492.0 but it is not the same. And not found a poll for this.

How long should i search?^^

I forget the option "forever" sry.
And i want the result for a feature vote.  ;)

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 02:07:00 PM »
I think you could formulate your request better or at least it seems better to me. What about just offering these names to players who want to take them? That would make more sense then simply deleting them. Then if old player comes back after 6+ years, he can still use his acc/name if somebody else didnt take it.

Also, you should specify what you want to be deleted, acc name or only dplogin name/names. IMO, deleting acc names is bad move, but dplogin names is fine, as long as there is a longer protected preiod of time in which this name cannot be taken from you. And i assume you meant dplogin names.

EDIT:I thought of some flaws in this, i am pretty sure they were mentioned before but w/e.
The main problem i see, is in deleting "known" people names, for example my friend selda, he did quite some contribution to the game, made some maps, guides and is pretty well known (to some extend). He didnt play PB for 3+ years, but still has maps which have his name.
Now, if someone took his name, i would be kinda mad, because he is my friend and i dont want someone else running with his name, but thats not the main reason. He has some maps in which is his name, now if someone took his name they could start claiming that they made these maps etc. and there would be no way of proving that they are not.

My suggestion is to give people who played long enough immunity in deleting their names. Or we could give them partial immunity, which would protect their "main" name and could never be deleted.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 02:27:22 PM by prozajik »

Neoterra

• VM-68
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 03:39:39 PM »
Offering is the best after a long inactiv time. This is what i want:
You can see how long a player was inactiv and after (2 years) you can simply add this name to your names.
And implement an option to give them immunity. (for example 20 players vote on his page for it)

I am stupid can´t see the different between dplogin names and acc names.

I understand this reason: "He has some maps in which is his name, now if someone took his name they could start claiming that they made these maps etc. and there would be no way of proving that they are not."

I want have the nickname neo. All know me as neo. I asked Jitspoe and can understand if is to much work for him if everybody asked him. But i dont like it to have no chance in 50 years to get this nick.

Toxiic

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 04:10:30 PM »
The inception of GLS was to prevent impersonating. This will be a step back in the history of this game. Maybe some new players don't understand the importance of this. Oh well.

Squeeze

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 04:24:11 PM »
I voted for 10 years, cuz there wasn't higher option. I "voted" for forever. Add this vote from 10 years to forever ;)

Neoterra

• VM-68
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 04:32:34 PM »
Hey, Chris can you tell me why you vote forever?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 04:50:45 PM »
If this happens, people will go back and steal the names of famous/popular players that don't actively play right now.

Brewsky

• Stingray
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 08:28:28 PM »
I agree with Jitspoe. In fact, that happened to me back in the early 2000's. A guy stole my name and started a team under it as well. It took me two straight days to convince everyone on IRC that I was the real me. Pain in the heehaw.

Toxiic

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 08:49:16 PM »
I agree with Jitspoe. In fact, that happened to me back in the early 2000's. A guy stole my name and started a team under it as well. It took me two straight days to convince everyone on IRC that I was the real me. Pain in the heehaw.
<3.  I'm sure every clan in the early 2000s to late 2004s had been a victim of this.

If this happens, people will go back and steal the names of famous/popular players that don't actively play right now.
I'd be the first one to steal your name ;P wait! I'm debating with myself, would it be payl or you? If I had Payl's name, he would rage like never before; which would be extremely entertaining, but if I had the name Jitspoe, I'd be trolling everyone and be really OP.

The inception of GLS was to prevent impersonating. This will be a step back in the history of this game. Maybe some new players don't understand the importance of this. Oh well.

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 09:58:33 PM »
I vote no, let the legends live on. I left the game for 5+ years before and I'd be pissed if some newb was on my name.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2014, 10:09:23 PM »
I vote yes, Clipz's name should be deleted he left for 5 years. Can you add it on my account, cause he's a legend and I rly wanna be like him

Neoterra

• VM-68
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 01:24:22 PM »
sooo here my idea: If a player was inactiv for 2 years (my opinion) everybody can automatically add this nick to the account. And the legends of the game can be saved with votes from other player on their page. (for example 50 votes)

I dont want steal a name like myers. But it can´t be that all registered names are forever dead. (stupid)

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2014, 01:31:45 PM »
Nah. Get over it and pick a new name.

Squeeze

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2014, 02:36:22 PM »
Complicated idea. It's good, like it was and it is right now.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 01:45:13 PM by ChrisBrown »

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 03:13:25 PM »
sooo here my idea: If a player was inactiv for 2 years (my opinion) everybody can automatically add this nick to the account. And the legends of the game can be saved with votes from other player on their page. (for example 50 votes)

I dont want steal a name like myers. But it can´t be that all registered names are forever dead. (stupid)

It's not going to happen, there is to much history to people's names.  Get over this idea, sorry brah.

xrichardx

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2014, 03:24:02 PM »
My opinion: The registered names will expire after X years if you dont login to the website or to dplogin, but 1 year before and 30 days before the user will get an email saying that his names are going to expire and that he should log in on the website or ingame to keep the names for another X years.
IMO, 5 is a good number for X. So after 4 and 4,9 years of not playing, you will get an email saying: play or login, otherwise your registered names will not belong to you anymore.
This is the way the global gamers IRC handles it's accounts and I think this garantuees that popular players will keep their names in their own interest while unpopular players, who do not play this game anymore and don't care about their names, will just let their account expire.

If logging in on a website is too much effort for someone, even if he was a popular player, then he should not have the right to keep his names IMO.