Author Topic: Sound problems in Linux  (Read 7348 times)

Nate-n-Nator

• PGP
Sound problems in Linux
« on: July 25, 2006, 10:55:23 AM »
Hello. I have a bit of a problem with the sound. When I first extracted paintball, I didn't get any sound. I looked at the terminal and saw this:
Code: [Select]
bassmannate@bassmannate-laptop:~/paintball2$ ./paintball2
Paintball 2 -- Version 3.21+r0.16
execing configs/config.cfg
Console initialized.

------- sound initialization -------
Initializing Linux sound.
/dev/dsp: Device or resource busy
SNDDMA_Init: Could not open /dev/dsp.

Obviously /dev/dsp is being used by something else, right? I read somewhere to kill esd so I did. When I run it, I get this:
Code: [Select]
Console initialized.

------- sound initialization -------
Initializing Linux sound.
sound sampling rate: 11025
------------------------------------
And I get sound but it's EXREMELY choppy. I get about 1/3 sec. every second. If I try to restart the sound when esd isn't running, then it just crashes paintball.

Edit: I should also say that when paintball crashes, it crashes with a seg. fault.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: Sound problems in Linux
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 01:06:56 PM »
I've had the same problem ever since I updated my sound drivers.  I didn't have to kill esd, though.  OSS used to work OK, but I had problems with ALSA, then they went and deprecated OSS and made it wrap through ALSA, so now nothing works well.  Apparently the drivers for my sound card just suck, though.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 01:09:53 PM »
You need to have OSS emulation working in ALSA setup.

I didn't have too many sounds problems with 6.06 LTS, but there were some issues.  When I get home I'll find the post on linux-gamers that will allow you to setup OSS emulation.

Nate-n-Nator

• PGP
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 10:36:49 AM »
Ok. I installed alsa-oss and wrapped paintball2 with aoss and I at least get something different. It's just lots of noise...Kinda weird.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 01:22:44 PM »
That's normal DP sounds!!

Looks like you got it fixed!!

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 03:40:24 PM »
rofl. KnacK is right there...

ToAsTeDd

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 06:55:19 AM »
Ok. I installed alsa-oss and wrapped paintball2 with aoss and I at least get something different. It's just lots of noise...Kinda weird.

Same here! I have the exact same problem with choppy sound every 1sec or half sec or so.

I also tried alsa-oss, and ran "aoss ./paintball2", and I get quick and close-together beeping-static weird noises that sound annoying, they are the same and 100% repeititive.

So any other ideas on how to get sound working?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 01:25:41 PM »
Use Windows. ;D

Sprinkle

• VM-68
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2006, 01:47:32 PM »
I'm very disappointed in you jitspoe.

:*(

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2006, 01:51:26 PM »
Jitspoe, sometimes Windows tempts me, but after running 64-bit Ubuntu with an SMP kernel on my dual-core AMD, I installed Windows on an extra harddrive I had, gave up on it by the end of the day because it took so much longer to install things than it did in linux, and then running a game like Quake 4 would take forever to load. Never realized how amazingly slow windows was till I ran it after 64-bit and SMP in linux man...

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2006, 02:12:22 PM »
Use Windows. ;D

See toasted? I told you.

...or was that someone else? darn.

Nate-n-Nator

• PGP
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2006, 10:39:21 AM »
Yeah. It's just a bunch of static noise. I thought just to see what would happen, I would start a game with that setting. just get the same beepy static. Now, I got quake2 installed today and got it running. Had the choppy sound issue. I ran quake2 with the option +set snddriver ao and it worked fine.  Guessing we don't have that option with paintball.

QuDos

• PGP
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2006, 11:30:49 AM »
Is someone testing the installer i'd created, give a try http://qudos.quakedev.com/tmp

The CVS version features the snd_driver from quake2forge, also oss sound driver is fixed too, here running alsa with an integrated i810 chip works perfectly, oss, sdl and alsa.

Once installed, modify the start script in /usr/local/games/paintball2 to set your preferences.

Nate-n-Nator

• PGP
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2006, 03:19:24 PM »
Works beautifully. Fixed sound problems and all. Had to make a sym link though because I wanted it installed elsewhere.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2006, 04:14:02 PM »
Where did you want it installed?

Nate-n-Nator

• PGP
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2006, 04:36:46 PM »
/usr/share/games/paintball2 That's where all the games installed from the repositories on Ubuntu are installed. I'm just anal about things like that.

I think I spoke too soon. I get the game running but after I get a game started, it goes for about 10-20 seconds and then freezes. I have to do a hard reset of my computer. I think it's my computer though because I had that problem with the extracted binary on the web site.

QuDos

• PGP
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2006, 02:35:30 AM »
Personally, when i can i put all games in my home dir.

Nate-n-Nator
Are you running SSE binaries or basic?
Run the installer again and install the another ones binaries.

It's freezing the whole system or just paintball2? you can always to try debug or switch a virtual console and kill pb2 process.

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2006, 04:53:55 AM »
/usr/share/games/ is where all the games that come out of .deb's go, all the commercial/loki installer games go to /usr/local/games/, Nate, you need to check out some of the awesome games you're missing out on if you didn't know that  :P

Nate-n-Nator

• PGP
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2006, 09:59:48 AM »
It's locking the whole system because I tried to bring up a console to kill pb2. I'm using the regular binaries. Should I try the SSE binaries instead?

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2006, 06:13:42 PM »
its locking because you killed your sound server