Author Topic: DP2 is being sold... for money.  (Read 15402 times)

TheRealUMaster

• PGP
DP2 is being sold... for money.
« on: April 07, 2016, 08:32:22 AM »
Hello fellows, I am finally online  :) and I am here to tell you something interesting.
J.G sent me an email with a link to a product on Saturn's website (Saturn is a German chain of electronics stores).
This product was nothing other than DP2.
It is being sold by a company called "Braun Handels GmbH" for 10 EUR.
Discuss it for yourselves. LOL
Link to product: DP2 for 10 EUR

Minerva

• Stingray
Re: DP2 is being sold... for money.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 11:07:45 AM »
Someone sent us those pictures on the dp2 skype group

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 11:05:24 PM »
That's crazy!  I'm not even sure how to react to that.  It's pretty cool to see a boxed copy of the game, but who just grabs a free game off of the Internet and publishes it like that, without even contacting the developer?

I tried to order a copy to see what's actually on the disc, but it looks like it can only be shipped to German addresses.

I'm going to try contacting Braun Handels about this.

shockk

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 11:34:59 PM »
Someone was saying in the Skype group that's its just the game and a serial key or something that comes with it? I don't know

TheRealUMaster

• PGP
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 06:48:30 AM »
Someone sent us those pictures on the dp2 skype group
Could you tell us who? (as i am not in the skype group)

rockitude

• Committee Member
  • 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 06:56:41 AM »
Could you tell us who? (as i am not in the skype group)

kui/kuipo found the game in his local Markt +Technik store and shared the pictures in the Skype group. Then others found the game on Amazon and Saturn.
Amazon link: http://www.amazon.de/Markt-Technik-Digital-Paint-Paintball/dp/B01ADCX3KI/

TheRealUMaster

• PGP
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 07:45:50 AM »
kui/kuipo found the game in his local Markt +Technik store and shared the pictures in the Skype group. Then others found the game on Amazon and Saturn.
Amazon link: http://www.amazon.de/Markt-Technik-Digital-Paint-Paintball/dp/B01ADCX3KI/
Thanks. Wow. Markt + Technik does also sell OpenOffice - for 10 EUR. Weird.

ulappen

• PGP
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 07:56:00 AM »
please jitspoe these time, do a good information politics because its an very importand theme. And be a little careful, because the risk that you would lost all rights of the game, if the game is really dead this time.

Buts only your thing if you want that the game die or not. We hope you do the right things.

German:

jitspoe, fahre diesmal eine gute informationspolitik, weil es ein sehr wichtiges Thema ist. Und sei ein wenig vorsichtig, aufgrund des Risikos, das du alle Rechte verlierst und dann wäre das Spiel endgültig tod.

Es ist einzig und allein deine Verantwortung, dsa dass Spiel am Leben bleibt.
Wir hoffen das du es richtig angehst und keine größeren Fehler begehst.

Mission

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 09:06:54 AM »
That is mad! Keep us posted Jitspoe, I saw this on the skype chat and was going to buy a copy because it would be cool to have a hard copy, but you aren't even selling it? Unbelievable!

L3vi

• Stingray
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2016, 09:56:44 AM »
It's probably these guys
http://www.braun-handels.de/impressum.htm

After reading their terms & conditions I feel like they are only responsible for distributing the game,- I wonder who commited the distribution...

rockitude

• Committee Member
  • 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2016, 11:13:27 AM »
That is mad! Keep us posted Jitspoe, I saw this on the skype chat and was going to buy a copy because it would be cool to have a hard copy, but you aren't even selling it? Unbelievable!

I think jitspoe isn't allowed to sell it, because it is a mod of Quake2. The only money he gets is through donations and that has to be a much smaller amount than the server costs.

P!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 04:19:57 PM »
That's crazy!  I'm not even sure how to react to that.  It's pretty cool to see a boxed copy of the game, but who just grabs a free game off of the Internet and publishes it like that, without even contacting the developer?

I tried to order a copy to see what's actually on the disc, but it looks like it can only be shipped to German addresses.

I'm going to try contacting Braun Handels about this.

Given how many Germans play this game, I'm sure one of them could buy it & send it to you, I'm curious what's on it as well, lol. At least they put some effort into the cover art. :D

Is this legal, by the way? My brother said DP isn't really 100% open source.

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2016, 05:47:44 PM »

I'm fairly sure you cannot sell a mod for quake 2. Let alone someone else's.

Calrathan

• Developer
  • PGP
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2016, 10:30:00 PM »
I believe ZeniMax Media owns publishing rights to iD software games, which means they would have to peruse this matter.  I'll attempt to contact their legal team.

Calrathan

• Developer
  • PGP
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2016, 10:35:00 PM »
No, Nathan and I cannot sell Digital Paint: Paintball 2.  I had a discussion with the iD Software legal department about this nearly 15 years ago.

It's a bit annoying that someone else is making money from the game that we made and haven't been able to profit from.

p4nic

• PGP
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2016, 11:28:11 PM »
It's probably these guys
http://www.braun-handels.de/impressum.htm

After reading their terms & conditions I feel like they are only responsible for distributing the game,- I wonder who commited the distribution...

If "D-90559 Burgthann" is the correct address i could visit these guys. It isn't that far away from me. :D

ic3y

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2016, 03:42:24 AM »
Given how many Germans play this game, I'm sure one of them could buy it & send it to you, I'm curious what's on it as well, lol. At least they put some effort into the cover art. :D

I will get my copy today :D, I will post an update here

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Update:

Disk:

Cover:

game instructions:

Content on the Disk (Sourcecode includes the source for b40):
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 07:24:38 AM by ic3y »

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2016, 07:47:26 AM »
Ic3y, are the original user agreements included (when installing)? They clearly state the game should not be sold and can only be distributed as long as there is no monetary gain.

ic3y

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2016, 08:20:50 AM »
Looks like the normal installer.

Paintball 2 (c) 1998-2015 Digital Paint - http://www.digitalpaint.org/

DO NOT CHEAT

Plain and simple.  By installing, using, or owning a copy of Paintball2, you agree not to use any cheats or modify the game executable or content in order to gain an unfair advantage while playing against human opponents.  Doing so will result in banishment from public servers, disqualification from competitions, and/or legal prosecution.  Digital Paint reserves the right to scan your computer for modified game content and known cheat utilities during the operation of Paintball2.  While the GPL grants the ability to freely modify the game engine, use of unofficial or modified engines on public servers will likely result in a ban.  This is necessary to keep the game fair and cheat-free.  You are responsible for other players on your computer and/or network.  We will not lift a ban simply because somebody else was cheating on your connection.  Digital Paint also reserves the right to generate and store unique identifiers using components of your computer's hardware.  This is done using irreversible hashing algorithms.  No direct data about your hardware is transferred or stored.  This is necessary to hardware-based bans to keep evasive cheaters off of the servers.

DO NOT HARASS OTHER USERS

Repeating annoying phrases, degrading or belittling other users, intentionally killing teammates, impersonating other users, and other forms of harassment are also grounds for banishment.  Extreme cases may result in legal action.  Using this software means you agree to abstain from such behavior.

REDISTRIBUTION

Short: You may redistribute the game as it is currently packaged so long as you don't make money from it.

Long: Permission is granted to redistribute this game and its media so long as there is no monetary gain for the complete package or the media.  The Paintball2 game engine must be distributed under the terms of the GPL (GNU General Public License), which basically states that you can modify and distribute the program so long as you also make the source code including your changes available.  For more details read gnu.txt in the Docs directory or visit gnu.org.  If you wish to distribute any of the media (textures, models, etc.) independently or within another package, please contact the author of that particular media (most likely jitspoe) for permission.

DISCLAIMER

This software is provided "as-is."  We make no guarantees as to how, or even if, it will function.  If it screws up your computer, you can't sue us.  We don't make any money off of this, so suing us wouldn't do you any good anyway.  The most we can do is refund the $0 you spent on this software.

Digital Paint does not have direct control over game servers and thus cannot take responsibility for how they are managed, however if you have any issues with the way a server is run, you can post a complaint on the digitalpaint.org forums and it can likely be resolved.

This agreement is subject to change. Digital Paint retains all rights to all products relating to Digital Paint: Paintball 2, and rights to all products which are designed for use in conjunction with Digital Paint: Paintball 2.

ulappen

• PGP
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2016, 08:27:27 AM »
bitte jemand, dem jitspo das auf der letzen Seite unter Markt und technik, fachgerecht übersetzen