Author Topic: Jigsaw - modified content  (Read 24989 times)

TinMan

• Autococker
Re: Jigsaw - modified content
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2006, 08:49:45 PM »
No one had clarified that changing color of your models was hacking at that time. Im sure almost everyone used them at that time too, lol.

Rudy's case wasn't modified skins though, it was plain out wallhacks, lol.

DaRkNeSS

• Autococker
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2006, 09:40:55 PM »
Jitspoe, what if you are just showing screen shots of models you made/edited?  I know if you use them on a server it is illegal, but if you load them up against a couple of ace bots to get an SS is that allowed?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2006, 10:59:46 PM »
I don't allow screenshots that promote cheating.  Posting screenshots of modified content on acebots to "show it off" would fall under that category.  They would probably just be deleted, though.  Jigsaw posted a screenshot like this before, had it deleted and was warned, yet he continued to use the modified content online, so a ban was necessary.

DaRkNeSS

• Autococker
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2006, 06:50:09 AM »
I don't mean posting it on the forums, but showing people on irc or something.

IronFist

• Autococker
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2006, 07:47:03 AM »
What if I cheat, screenshot it, then print it out and leave it on my table. Will you ban me? huh huh huh huh

Sprinkle

• VM-68
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2006, 09:20:12 AM »
I don't mean posting it on the forums, but showing people on irc or something.

How is that different?

DaRkNeSS

• Autococker
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2006, 10:29:15 PM »
Well jitspoe said there is nothing wrong with having hacks, so basically as long as I'm not using them on a server I don't see anything wrong with showing screen shots of them vs bots.

Sprinkle

• VM-68
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2006, 10:58:51 PM »
I don't allow screenshots that promote cheating.  Posting screenshots of modified content on acebots to "show it off" would fall under that category.  They would probably just be deleted, though.  Jigsaw posted a screenshot like this before, had it deleted and was warned, yet he continued to use the modified content online, so a ban was necessary.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2006, 12:27:16 AM »
Well Jitspoe said there is nothing wrong with having hacks
Not just Jitspoe but a good number of players have endorsed using cheats to catch cheats. So where does that justification stop? I asked that question once , as I  recall Bain replied accurately..."with players you trust."

So who is left to trust?

IDK That should be for Jitspoe to decide. But will offer this. If it is installed, get it off now. Which is  something else Jitspoe suggested that players do.

Lunatic

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2006, 01:46:03 AM »
lmfao. Jigsaw, first of all I don't know where you came up with 75% of people using modded textures. Even if say, 75% of the people do, they aren't stupid enough to post a screenshot of them (with the exception of crash and ruddy). Maybe you and all of your newbie friends use modded textures, but seriously why bother? It clearly doesn't even help.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2006, 04:55:44 AM »
As promised I will ask this.

What is the difference between this modified content and the 4hr.zip? Which I highly recommend.

http://upload.arena-zone.com/705387

You can modify resolution but not color? Ok I understand the principal behind it. Just not the allowance of any sound or visual modifications.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2006, 05:30:21 AM »
As promised I will ask this.
What is the difference between this modified content and the 4hr.zip? Which I highly recommend.
http://upload.arena-zone.com/705387
You can modify resolution but not color? Ok I understand the principal behind it. Just not the allowance of any sound or visual modifications.

Pretty simple answer here: jitspoe endorses the use and creation of hr4 textures on the engine that he has created to support these features.  However he does not support the modification or creation of textures (normal or hr4) that are used for the sole purpose of providing an advantage over other players.

It's too bad that there's not currently an sv_pure cvar that prevents players from using modified models, skins, textures, maps or shaders on competition servers so that this whole gray area could be forgotten.  That would allow server administrators to decide what additional modifications would be allowed (ex. a league approved brightskins package).  This would involve implementing .paks or .pk3s in a game that has never made use of them.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 12:04:53 PM by XtremeBain »

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2006, 11:46:12 AM »
I'm still trying to figure out why there is even a debate about this....

MaDMaN

• VM-68
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2006, 11:48:09 PM »
I really don't care about skins/models.. i used Quake2 models for maybe 4 months when i started playing DP, they were all bright colored also!, But i reinstalled DP when i got caught wallhacking and haven't really gotten around to putting the q2 models back in play...

doughz

• Stingray
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2006, 07:00:08 AM »
God, just to think that this jigsaw kid is just back from being unbanned, and hes stupid enough to post a screenshot getting him banned again...just leave.

JOE

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2006, 09:23:26 AM »
you know...a lot of people used all of the q2dp sounds and textures when the alpha was first released.  I'm not sure if anyone still does, but would that be considered modified content??

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2006, 11:16:56 AM »
It's really quite simple: modifying game content in order to be able to see enemy players better is cheating.... 

Does this mean that changing skies is considered cheating?   If the maps default is pbsky3 and u change it to 1 or something, you are getting an advantage over the other player =/.  It is built into the game tho.  I don't see a difference between changing the sky and changing textures.

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2006, 11:41:44 AM »
Does this mean that changing skies is considered cheating?   If the maps default is pbsky3 and u change it to 1 or something, you are getting an advantage over the other player =/.  It is built into the game tho.  I don't see a difference between changing the sky and changing textures.

lmao silly billy there is a big difference use your head and think about what ur saying before u actually say it

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2006, 11:54:40 AM »
He has a valid point...  If you're in a map that has a dark sky then changing it to a light sky makes players easy to see up high in maps like midnight and airtime.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2006, 12:06:11 PM »
The onlything I can say to that is that the change is available to everyone whereas modified content is not.

and WTF with all of these "what if" questions?

In a nutshell: If youmake changes to the game that give you an advantage over another player or team, more than likely you are cheating.

Main Entry: 1cheat
Pronunciation: 'chEt
Function: verb
Etymology: 2cheat
transitive verb
1 : to deprive of something valuable by the use of deceit or fraud
2 : to influence or lead by deceit, trick, or artifice
3 : to elude or thwart by or as if by outwitting <cheat death>
intransitive verb
1 a : to practice fraud or trickery b : to violate rules dishonestly <cheat at cards> <cheating on a test>